Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 29-04-2013

Default What the best spares to carry for the 22?

Not had this long and or raced 2wd in years and wondering what are the must have spares for these and what are common breakages?

Running rear motor set-up if that makes a difference!
Old 30-04-2013
Banned

My experience has been, being as when the 22 first came out there were no spares available yet, that unlike many of the more fragile 2wds on the market there really is no "common breakage" items. These cars are tanks - arguably the toughest buggy on the market.

Now, to be safe, I suppose there are a few things routine to carry for most buggy racers - like front & rear A-arms (though I've never heard of one broken), and a spare wing - just to be safe. But the parts are widely available, so to me there's not really a need to carry a lot of spares. Honestly, I've had my 22's (2-buggies, 22T, and 22SCT) for about 3 years now, and honestly the only thing I've broken is a steering rack (knock on wood). A lot is going to depend on the track you're racing at, and your driving expertise (how fast or slow the track might be, how big the jobs may be, and how often and how big of crashes you're involved in). Some chaps have broken a shock tower here and there, or bent a turnbuckle, but to me this is more of a rarity than common breakage items. A few people lose front axle bolts or rear axle nuts, but a drop of locktite on the front bolts keep these from pulling out and replacing the rear nuts with the aftermarket knurled locknuts keep these from backing off.

The real thing to spend your money on with these cars are some of the common upgrades - like threaded front kingpins and rear hingepins, knurled rear axle nuts, springs, and a selection of caster blocks and steering knuckles - that make it more dependable and easier to work on, and allow you to be able to fine tune the handling to your preferences.

My final word of advice - read the threads here and get up to speed on the car. Literally everything has been covered or discussed more than a time or two.
Old 30-04-2013

as Robby says - the 22 is 'built tough' so it's pretty resilient to crashes but as a precaution, I'd say it's worth carrying a spare pair of turnbuckles and a front shock tower. Front and Rear wishbones are always god common sense parts to carry.

Ball studs have been known to pull out of the rear hubs and front/rear plastic camber blocks - fitting longer ball studs can help but it might be worth picking up a set of rear hubs and a front/rear camber block set. I'd also advise getting a spare pair of the front wheel lug nuts.

In all honesty though, there's no way you can cover all eventualities but depending on where you're racing, you'll probably find there are other 22 owners who will help you out in a pinch and you'll soon learn which bits you'll need to cover yourself
Old 30-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post

Ball studs have been known to pull out of the rear hubs and front/rear plastic camber blocks - fitting longer ball studs can help but it might be worth picking up a set of rear hubs and a front/rear camber block set. I'd also advise getting a spare pair of the front wheel lug nuts.
I've had the ball studs pull out of the rear hubs a couple of times too so I always carry some of these but the ones do help

The only other thing I've ever had go really are carrying a couple of extra spur gears - the track I'm at does have quite a lot of sand in the astro and that familiar click of a grain or 2 of the it getting between the pinion and spur can chew the spur gear up a treat.
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 30-04-2013

You may need to carry Castor hub / bottom plate for castor adjustment, and carry 1 shock tower each, turn buckles too.

and few screws counter sunks of vary length is good idea too. they are tough as hell.
Old 30-04-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

quite a strong car both my kids have tested ours to the max.and we have been running them since the car was released, and I would recommend

rear wishbones, only seem to break if you have a funny landing off a big jump.get a couple of packs as its always one side that goes, I seem to have bags of lefts and no rights

kit track rods are a bit soft and can bend,front spindles, caster blocks worth having , get some front wheel bolts as I have seen a few of them come loose. we have managed to break one rear shock tower and it's worth having a steering rack as they do wear very quickly

22 is probably one of the strongest cars I've come across tbh

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 30-04-2013

I'd second what most people have said. It seems to be the metal parts that take the battering, as the plastics are nigh on bullet proof. Kingpins and stupid little ball studs that pull out.

I also find that with my fists of ham, I regularly round screws off when in a rush, so maybe a screw kit might be nice to have in the box. Normally less than a tenner for a full set.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103724
Old 01-05-2013

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Old 02-05-2013

I to have fist's of ham but I changed most of the screw's to torx head one's and I have had 2 very bad crashes were I have destroyed the right side of the car
Old 02-05-2013
Mad Member

Just a question... What stores hold a good stock and variety of spares? (Preferably EU based though I'd like to know about all the good stores).
Old 06-05-2013

Only thing i have ever broken,and about 4 in total is the front bulkhead.
I was using the akula front shock towers,and as these have no cross brace,the bulkheads kept splitting next to the top screw holes.
Since going back to losi shock tower,have had no problems.
Old 08-05-2013

Send a message via MSN to TKG26

Spindles and the kingpin screws are the common failures for me. When i get it all wrong and slap an apex
Old 23-05-2013

Front and rear arms is the mane things that can brake also if you are running the plastic spacers under any ball stud replace them will metal ones as its the plastic flexing under the stud that makes them pull out over time but all in all this car is a tank bin running mine since they came out and only broken 3 things :-)
Old 24-05-2013

My 8 year old son, who has just started racing this year, has given his RTR 22 a good work out and so far has managed to break 1 rear wishbone and 1 front spindle. The spindles can be beefed up by using the optional bolt in Ti kingpins but overall it's a tough car.

The only other issues he's had are a front wheel coming off before we learned to use some thread lock on the wheel bolts and he popped a front ball joint off hitting something.