Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 25-05-2006

Default Dark Impact brushless setup

After being inspired by a tamiyaclub user, I decided to use the same setup in my Dark Impact.

It's a Graupner / GM Genius 80 controller and a Graupner Inline 500 Car motor (apparently the same as a Feigao 540 (8?)s).
Since the DI doesn't offer too much room, you have to be careful while choosing an ESC. This one fits perfectly, most others are bigger.

One improvement I'm considering, is getting one of Hacker's new motors:
http://www.hacker-motoren.com/images...Page-32-33.pdf
These have 380 sized rotors which should help with acceleration to some degree. The motor cable problem (see last picture) could be solved easily with this one, since the motor-wires can be easily resoldered. (The wires can be a problem, since they might break, if you bend them to much, or re-bend them too often.)
Some car versions of popular brushless motores have wires, that are soldered into can in a 90° angle. This would be nice in this case too, but from what I can tell, some heavier work on the chassis would be needed to make these fit.

This setup works nicely with the standard gearing Tamiya supplies, and can be had for about 200 euros.

Interesting alternatives might be the new Quark ESCs or Mtroniks, Novak and LRP. Not sure if they fit as well.

Since I soldered 4mm gold-sockets directly on the side by side packs, I had to dremel some parts of the chassis. After this modification the old battery packs could be used without problems. I doubt that it would be possible to use any bigger sockets on the packs, though.

Some pictures:

Last edited by felixjo; 25-05-2006 at 11:15 PM.
Old 28-05-2006

heres the novak 5.5 GTB set up in my DI.it fits pretty good.i also made a cut out for the motor fan so it could breath. another thing i did was to cut out the faux cooling scoop in the body and mounted a heatsink to the motor plate, that also helps with the hot-running nature of the DI.

p,s... i have since shortened the wires running form the esc to the motor!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DI done 005.jpg (59.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg DI done 006.jpg (57.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg di fan mod 003.jpg (40.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg di mods 006.jpg (37.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg di mods 007.jpg (58.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 28-05-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

bit tight in there with that extra extra long motor wiring loom, as they are solder on wires, why not chop them down to tidy it up?
Old 28-05-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM
bit tight in there with that extra extra long motor wiring loom, as they are solder on wires, why not chop them down to tidy it up?
lol...did you read my last sentence in my post? i shortened them up a few days after i installed the system.