Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 01-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I finished building the chassis today and I added some spacers to the DF03 Alu shocks. It all looks great now! I added 5mm to the rear.

Should the car be lower on the front or should the chassis be parallel to the ground?
the front can be 1mm lower than the rear.

for example, F: 23mm R: 24mm
Old 01-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttmonkey1969 View Post
1 K post ..lol
pop a beer!
Old 01-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonz View Post
pop a beer!
Don't mind if I do !
Old 01-02-2008

the durga front and rear assembly universal and front and rear dogbones
are up on stella! woot!
Old 01-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonz View Post
the durga front and rear assembly universal and front and rear dogbones
are up on stella! woot!
Thanks for the advice!

I hope to see how the Durga goes this weekend. If I get dissapointed I'll but those CVDs right away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensory Overload View Post
Note that I'm using the 5mm (under the rear pistons) spacers to correct droop on a carpet setup. 3mm in the front seem to level out the car. cvd's are near/slightly above level. Car feels good. So
I was planning to add the 3mm to the front also. However with only a 5mm spacer at the rear the front was slightly lower than the rear which should be a good thing right. If the handling isn't what I expect it to be, I'll add a 3mm to the front also. Thanks for the heads up!

Here's a picture of the car. The rear looks a bit high on the pictures as there are no electronics mounted in the car. However now with the motor installed it looks a lot better. I'll post another pic when finished

Old 01-02-2008

2 small questions i have, im sorry if already asked before...

- Can you fit a 501x into a durga, is it the same?
- Can you fit the Team Azarashi Tateego or Gomurph body?

thank you
Old 01-02-2008
Mad Member

queation 1 ???
question 2 No from what ive heard
Old 01-02-2008

Put a new Schumacher 16t pinion in mine, still sounds as rough as hell though. Most of the whining seems to be coming from the spur area but there is also a definate rattling emanating from the rear diff area. All the outdrives and CVD joints are tight and there is no visible vibration in the shafts. The diff assembly itself is all lined up and all the mounting screws in the cover are tight. When I hold one wheel and give it a tiny bit of throttle, there is a definate tight/loose/tight/loose thing going on as the free wheel rotates. If I rotate one wheel by hand the other contra-rotates as smooth as anything. I just don't get it but it feels and sounds 'orrible.

On the plus side provided I grit my teeth and ignore the racket it goes well enough but I think the slipper needs tightening more than the 3mm specified (running a 7.5turn brushless). Sharp bursts of throttle are not getting through to the wheels, just get a high pitched zizzzzz that gradually fades as the speed builds so I guess thats the slipper doing its job.

Does anybody know what size wrench fits the turnbuckles? I need to tweak the steering servo link but nothing I have in my pitbox will fit (not surprising as most of it is imperial US stuff for the RC10).

Is anybody doing the Broxtowe Indoor series with a Durga at all?

Last edited by General Accident; 01-02-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Forgot me full stops!!
Old 01-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflament View Post
- Can you fit a 501x into a durga?
Depends how fast you're going with the 501X when it hits the Durga, I once fitted a Rover 213 into a Ford Fiesta
Old 01-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Accident View Post
Put a new Schumacher 16t pinion in mine, still sounds as rough as hell though. Most of the whining seems to be coming from the spur area but there is also a definate rattling emanating from the rear diff area. All the outdrives and CVD joints are tight and there is no visible vibration in the shafts. The diff assembly itself is all lined up and all the mounting screws in the cover are tight. When I hold one wheel and give it a tiny bit of throttle, there is a definate tight/loose/tight/loose thing going on as the free wheel rotates. If I rotate one wheel by hand the other contra-rotates as smooth as anything. I just don't get it but it feels and sounds 'orrible.

On the plus side provided I grit my teeth and ignore the racket it goes well enough but I think the slipper needs tightening more than the 3mm specified (running a 7.5turn brushless). Sharp bursts of throttle are not getting through to the wheels, just get a high pitched zizzzzz that gradually fades as the speed builds so I guess thats the slipper doing its job.

Does anybody know what size wrench fits the turnbuckles? I need to tweak the steering servo link but nothing I have in my pitbox will fit (not surprising as most of it is imperial US stuff for the RC10).

Is anybody doing the Broxtowe Indoor series with a Durga at all?
I always find the small pinions noisy. My Durga seems noisy on the bench but quiet enough on track.

4mm on the slipper is a good setting.

4mm wrench for the turnbuckles.
Old 02-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
I always find the small pinions noisy. My Durga seems noisy on the bench but quiet enough on track.

4mm on the slipper is a good setting.

4mm wrench for the turnbuckles.
Thanks sosidge, I'm not used to such small pinions but to be honest the whole gearing thing seems weird to me. I had the 7.5t brushless in my RC10 and it needed a 20t pinion so I had nothing in my pitbox lower than a 19t and had to search for the 16t I have now. According to the gear chart I need to go to a 14 or 15 to get the optimal ratio of 12:1 that the motor instructions say it needs!!
Old 02-02-2008

Quote:
2 small questions i have, im sorry if already asked before...

- Can you fit a 501x into a durga, is it the same?
- Can you fit the Team Azarashi Tateego or Gomurph body?

thank you
lol, my apologies, i forgot 'diff'

so is the diff from a 501x the same as the one from the durga?
Old 02-02-2008

the 501 diff is all metal and the durga has plastic diff ring seats. i believe somebody else on this thread has fitted the 501 diff in the durga.
Old 02-02-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
lol, my apologies, i forgot 'diff'

so is the diff from a 501x the same as the one from the durga?
Don't forget that the Durga runs 37T pulleys and big plates as standard. Otherwise outdrives and thrust assembly are all compatible.
Old 03-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
the 501 diff is all metal and the durga has plastic diff ring seats. i believe somebody else on this thread has fitted the 501 diff in the durga.
That would be nice, because the diff joints of the Durga seems to wear quick (like the Dark Impacts diff joints did).

I finished the Durga and took it out for a spin today, it really runs very nice and it's very agile. It tends to oversteer when exiting a corner too fast. However that's easily controllable and makes driving very fun! I really love it

Old 03-02-2008

Default Turnbuckles

Nice car!

Where did you get the bling turnbuckles from?

R
F103GT
Clodzilla II
Avante 2001
Grass Hopper II
Old 03-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kruisa View Post
Nice car!

Where did you get the bling turnbuckles from?

R
Thanks mate! The turnbuckles are from the DF03 (Hard Turnbuckle set), which is a set of 6 turnbuckles. However the ones for the steering are too long. So I used the kit supplied turnbuckles there.
Old 03-02-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio
Default Broxtowe - First Race Outing With The Durga

Well, first of all I've got to say it got some attention even if a combination of crap build and crap driving did its best to ruin the day. The car was built with kit oil, pistons and springs and managed 2 qualifiers OK. Running minipins on a mix of carpet and boarding I certainly did not suffer from a lack of steering, the car was very pointy indeed. On the sleeping policeman jump the nose had an almost magnetic attraction to the floor and I was constantly flipping the car over - never really sorted that one all day, but generally got the hang of flying it OK over the table top. Had huge chassis-slap issues until I put loads of spacers on the springs then it sorted itself out. The slipper slipped a bit too much too, but adjusted that for Q3 and was much improved until the crap Tamiya quality kicked in and one front shock lower ball end came out of the rod allowing the spring and seat to make a successful bid for freedom. I had reservations about this when I built the chassis as the plastic is very soft and the rod only seemed to thread in about 4mm. I put it all back together for Q4 without much hope and sure enough BOTH front shocks did the same thing on landing from the first jump. Bugger. For the final I bodged it with some RPM ball ends out of my RC10 spares. Was doing OK (started 3rd) and kept my nose clean despite not being particularly fast.

Then my crap driving kicked as I went over the tabletop at a slight angle and the rear right wheel nicely caught on the exposed lip of the downramp where it was wider than the tabletop. This removed the rear corner with surgical efficiency. I'm sure it would have done the same on any car so I can't really knock Tamiya for that. I eventually managed to find both the ball ends for the end of the hinge pins too and nothing actually broke so I assume the impact flexed the rear fixing enough for the hinge pin to pop out. Need to fix this for next time or at least buy lots of spare A-parts!

The one-way stayed in the pit box as I really didn't need it, there was plenty of steering and this was a very tight track, the carpet helped there I think.

The car got some good comments and I was very happy with how it went straight out of the box - it can only get better with practice and a bit of time setting it up. Found out when I got home the the cambers were all different on every corner - so much for the dimensions given in the manual.
Old 03-02-2008

hi all, ive seen how cheap these buggies are...

are they good... im onyl a club racer but i want something i have at least a chance of beating other people with...

the reason i ask is... im moving from TC to off-road, but for how much my budget stretches too, i can only have a 2wd... i dont really want this... id rather a four wheel drive...

where do you guys get spares for these cars?
what about alloy thread shock? where do you get those from?
and anything else you need?
im running on outdoor grass so im guna need some spring no doubt... which ones?

thanks jordan
Old 03-02-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio

I'd fully recommend it - Jimmy's Durga shows that the basic speed is in the car 'cos he is a decent driver. I'm rubbish but I was doing better than some of the B44 crew today so I guess that proves something. Just get a slipper if you intend to run a decent motor. Spares are very cheap from Hong Kong, so much so that there is no chance you'll get hit with import duty as you'll struggle to hit the limit unless you go mad.