Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 28-12-2009

Default How to Choose a Motor?

Could you guys help me Choose a Motor for my Cat 2000ec, i bought it off Ebay & it has a Team Infinity 13 tripple motor. I would like to put this motor into my Cougar 2000 & upgrade the Cats motor. Im unsure of what to go for as im slowly getting back into the game. Thanks alot !!!
Old 28-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
Could you guys help me Choose a Motor for my Cat 2000ec, i bought it off Ebay & it has a Team Infinity 13 tripple motor. I would like to put this motor into my Cougar 2000 & upgrade the Cats motor. Im unsure of what to go for as im slowly getting back into the game. Thanks alot !!!
a ten double or a 6.5brushless is plenty
Old 28-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert digler View Post
a ten double or a 6.5brushless is plenty
What does 10 double mean bert ?
Old 28-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
What does 10 double mean bert ?
It's the wind in an old school motor. It's about a 6.5 in brushless, which will be plenty fast for you
Old 29-12-2009

HAHA David how do you know what is fast enough for me ?!?!?

So does that mean if i stick the Team Infinity 13 tripple motor out of the cat 2k into the cougar 2k it will FLY ???
Old 29-12-2009

I´ll start with a 8,5 Novak.
Old 29-12-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Quote:
i think Dave's big clue was in the fact that you didn't know what a 10 double was,a 10 turn brushed motor or 6.5 turn brushless will be more than enough to start racing,
Old 29-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:

So does that mean if i stick the Team Infinity 13 tripple motor out of the cat 2k into the cougar 2k it will FLY ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
i think Dave's big clue was in the fact that you didn't know what a 10 double was,a 10 turn brushed motor or 6.5 turn brushless will be more than enough to start racing,

Rookie if you are starting racing a 10 double or a 6.5 brushless with Lipo will blow you away!!!

Bigred is right, it will be more than enough, perhaps even too powerful for your older Schumacher. A 13 triple would be a VERY safe motor for a 2wd.
Start there, if I am wrong, well I won't be, haha, then let me know and I will eat humble pie!!!
Old 29-12-2009
Mad Member

When considering your choice of motor have a look at the wattage put out by the newer brushless stuff. Back when Cats and Cougars were current racing cars 12 turns was really hot stuff that you had trouble getting to last 5 minutes. Nowadays, just to compare the power output a 13.5T brushless is pretty close to the power back then.
If you plonk a 6.5 into either the Cat or the Cougar the drivetrain will last about 5 minutes or so along with the car being totally overwhelmed with the power.

I reckon a 9.5T would be a civil choice for the car and is nice and smooth in a 2wd, which is great if you're coming back into the sport.
Old 30-12-2009

awsome so let me get this right, the lower the turn the faster the motor ??, dont wanna blow the drive so prolly take all your advice !! thx
Old 30-12-2009

Seen a guy selling a Brand new Novak ballistic 13.5 motor for 70£ would this be suitable ?? or too much ?? He also has a Brand new LRP X11 10.5 motor, this any good ??

id like to treat the cougar with kid gloves as theres not many left. As for the CAT, thats gettin sent into orbit !!
Old 30-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Sounds a bit dear for the 13.5, check out the forsale section here, some have gone for alot less, yes both motors will be fine for it power wise

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 30-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I have tried various modern brushless systems in a Cat'98 (ie Cat 2000 drivetrain). The Ezrun 5.5t did kill the back belt very quickly, but an Lrp 7.5t worked really well. It can take brushless, though perhaps not the very hottest winds. The 9T Ezrun seemed to work best though - as its a slightly smaller motor it has less torque, but still high revs. Means it goes fast without dumping too much power through the belts.

Actually this setup: Motor and ESC is a great brushless starting point. Its not BRCA legal so not permitted for regionals, but fine for club use. Lots of people use them as they are cheap but robust and effective. That ESC is the higher spec version, so can take a faster motor later if you want.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 31-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The first question I would ask is "how experienced a driver are you?"

The reason for asking that is that adding more power to the car of a relatively newbie RC driver will just result in more frequent and more spectacular (read expensive) crashes.

I've always been a believer in milder motors geared to give smooth performance and good top speed are much easier to drive.
When I was running brushed motors last I was running 12 doubles in 4wd cars and 14 tripples in 2wd cars, these being geared to give comparative top end to "faster" motors.
When I first went brushless I used the "recomended" 5.5 in 4wd and 6.5 in 2wd and thought it was too much in both! I now run Speed Passion V3.0 6.5R in the 4wd and 8.5R in the 2wd and am never disappointed with either acceleration or straight line speed but it is so much easier to drive than running the hottor motors!

That said for a newbie I'd suggest getting a 10.5 brushless / 19T Spec brushed. I've seen people run these at regionals and not look out of place speed wise and much easier for them to drive.
I see lots of young / inexperienced drivers make the mistake of thinking that they need the very very best / most powerful equipment to have fun, simply not true. You'll enjoy the racing much more if you run milder motors whilst you learn to drive and set-up your cars. You'll crash less (so not spend so much on spares or so much time fixing the car), you'll wear out tires slower due to less wheel spin etc. (spend less on tires and less time gluing / removing tires) and you will improve as a driver quicker as you will be more able to concentrate on the racing line rather than simply 'holding on to a missile'.

Rookie, best bet is to get down the club your planning on running at and hunt down the obviously less experienced drivers and see what they have been running ... my bet is the ones having the most fun will be those with the sanest power plants!
Old 31-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
The first question I would ask is "how experienced a driver are you?"

The reason for asking that is that adding more power to the car of a relatively newbie RC driver will just result in more frequent and more spectacular (read expensive) crashes.

I've always been a believer in milder motors geared to give smooth performance and good top speed are much easier to drive.
When I was running brushed motors last I was running 12 doubles in 4wd cars and 14 tripples in 2wd cars, these being geared to give comparative top end to "faster" motors.
When I first went brushless I used the "recomended" 5.5 in 4wd and 6.5 in 2wd and thought it was too much in both! I now run Speed Passion V3.0 6.5R in the 4wd and 8.5R in the 2wd and am never disappointed with either acceleration or straight line speed but it is so much easier to drive than running the hottor motors!

That said for a newbie I'd suggest getting a 10.5 brushless / 19T Spec brushed. I've seen people run these at regionals and not look out of place speed wise and much easier for them to drive.
I see lots of young / inexperienced drivers make the mistake of thinking that they need the very very best / most powerful equipment to have fun, simply not true. You'll enjoy the racing much more if you run milder motors whilst you learn to drive and set-up your cars. You'll crash less (so not spend so much on spares or so much time fixing the car), you'll wear out tires slower due to less wheel spin etc. (spend less on tires and less time gluing / removing tires) and you will improve as a driver quicker as you will be more able to concentrate on the racing line rather than simply 'holding on to a missile'.

Rookie, best bet is to get down the club your planning on running at and hunt down the obviously less experienced drivers and see what they have been running ... my bet is the ones having the most fun will be those with the sanest power plants!
words of wisdom ! thanks Roger