Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 26-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default What Tyres do you run on polished wood floor??

At Faversham club we are having a bit of a debate on Tyres, at the moment the club use Schumacher full spikes in yellow compound.

It would be great to get feedback from other clubs/drivers as to what Tyres you use??

What make/compound??

What inserts??

What life do you get from a set??

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 27-11-2011

We race on a polished floor at Ludlow, there are no tyre rules, but we all use Schumacher yellow compound tyres as they work best.

Some people use full spikes (the flatter T650 + T652's not the rounded ones). Others use minispikes or minipins, but most of us will switch from one sort to another if needed depending on the track, how we're getting on or if oil has been spilt in which case full spikes seem to help a little.

Full spikes take two or more weeks before they start to work at all, but they will last for ages (months).
Minispikes work after a few rounds and last quite well, 6 or 7 weeks maybe if you're lucky.
Then there's the minipins which wear out the quickest at around 4 weeks I guess!?

I'm not sure what inserts others use, but I normally just use Schumacher mediums. Not that I've really experimented with inserts though!

I know when Telford ran on the wooden floor they used either the full spikes or minispikes, but I seemed to get on better with minipins there for some reason.

Ludlow Radio Car Club

LRCC Youtube Vid.
Old 27-11-2011
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

full spikes need to be cut down before they work properly pointless, IMHO, i would go yellow mini pins all round,but as said if it cold or oils been laid down nowts going to work properly
Old 27-11-2011
Mad Member

we have found running mini pins or mini spike they lack side bite where as full spike dont, we have a situation where they tyres come good very good but because of the scrubbing in period the drivers are at different pace purley down to tyres for example a prime set of full spikes at our track is between 0.5 and 0.75 seconds a lap faster than a nearly scrubed in set and 1 sec a lap faster than mini spikes or mini pins.

and as for lasting ages i can scrub a set of cut full spikes in in 4 weeks practice and wear them out again in 4 weeks race meetings.

stu
Old 27-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I've run yellow mini spikes at ludlow for the 10 weeks we've been indoors. Thinking about it I think there have only been 1, maybe 2 cars win that aren't on mini spikes. Mini pins were popular last season, but no cars seem to be putting in the results with the pins so far.

New mini spikes seem to be crappy, but a set that have done an event on astro work really well.

If oil drops on your track clean it up with oven cleaner. We cleaned the whole track this week and the grip was immense!
Old 27-11-2011
Mad Member

i race shumacher white rally blocks on polished floor with good results wheras most at our club use the yellows
Old 27-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers for the info guys, keep it coming!

www.rccarshop.co.uk