Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 24-09-2011

Default New Motor

Ok time for a dumb question .......

Ive just fitted a new motor to a touring car ive just bought and the question is how long can you run a motor with the car on a stand without the motor getting too hot ? From the size of these motors i would guess they run at a terrific rpm when not under load and probably consume enough power to light a small town
Old 24-09-2011
Mad Member

Why are you running the motor with the car on the stand? The car doesn't move unless you put it on the track...

Beyond testing that your ESC is setup and the motor is actually working, there is no need to rev it for more than an instant on the stand. In fact, most of the ESC's using turbo software strictly advise you NOT to rev the motor on the stand as it will rev too high and blow the motor.
Old 24-09-2011

I realise some form of contact is required with the ground to achieve forward motion , These motors that are fitted in cars these days i must admit i dont understand , The esc is now set up , So ive just got to find a suitable test area to give it a decent run ,
The reason for my question is i build many scale model boats , the motors in these can run all day without getting warm with no load , the reverse seems to apply to car motors , eg no load = very hot motor but under load it runs cooler