Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 25-06-2013

Default ECX Boost - more advice

Hi, as my name suggests (and I assume I will regret making a few years down the line) I am new around here on Oople and RC racing in general.

So I am actually only 15 but have been going to a few race meetings down in Southport (SRCC) and when a bargain popped up on here for an ECX Boost with all electricals installed, I bought it!

So I went to the local model shop and bought a 45c lipo battery with my friend and completed my first race at the Woodvale event on the 23rd June. After my first race I decided that I wanted a slight upgrade to my (currently brushed) motor and a new controller as I was getting a lot of interference with other RC vehicles.

So, just wondering if anyone could give a newbie some advice on what to do from here, such as raising some more money to upgrade my items or what items to get next, or maybe some maintenance tips, so please, give me your advice,

Thanks!
Kyle.

(Links to the motor and controller I bought:
Motor: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-fire...products/29609
Controller: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carson-r...roducts/368278
)
Old 26-06-2013

Hi Kyle,
Welcome to the community. Here's hoping that you'll enjoy your R/Cing for many more years to come.

Firstly, your Boost is an excellent first time RC car and it will serve you well as you grow into the hobby. Don't get disillusioned when results don't go your way and don't allow yourself to get caught up in any RC snobbery where you'll get convinced by others that you need to buy product X Y or Z. The ECX Boost is a basic but very robust 2WD buggy that follows the traditional and proven layout. It's not a cutting-edge top-flight race chassis - but it is more than enough for what you need right now (Remember that because there will be many who try to convince you otherwise). There may be other racers that will diss your Boost but don't let them get to you. You'll know when it's time to move on - don't get swayed by other peoples opinions - either online or at clubs.

Onto your Boost. You've already upgraded the Radio and motor - but have you changed the motor gearing? The Boost comes with a 20T motor and you've fitted a 15T so you'll need to adjust the gearing by fitting a smaller pinion gear. I'd suggest possibly 2-3 teeth smaller. Otherwise your new motor might get too hot because it will be over geared.

The Steering Servo fitted in the Boost is fairly slow in response for racing. One of the first upgrades I'd make in such a model is to fit a faster servo but again be careful. Today's top of the range servos can draw a lot of power and since they get their power through the ESC, you need to be careful not to fit one that is too powerful for your ESC. Your ESC is fitted with a 1 Amp BEC circuit so something like the Spektrum S6000 servo will offer you a decent speed increase over your existing unit without over powering the ESC and it'll not break the bank.

Make sure you get some tyres that suit the tracks you're racing at and really take it from there. Don't be afraid to ask questions at the club - most racers will be happy to help advise you. You don't need to spend fortunes to get a decent grin factor out of racing - especially when you're starting out. It's true that you'll end up spending more as you progress but equipment alone never won any race so don't be fooled. You'll soon start to understand what bits you need to concentrate on next once you get a few races under your belt.

Good Luck with it all.
Old 26-06-2013

Hi, thanks for the advice and I will look around for a gear as I wasn't aware that I needed one. I also will leave the servo for a bit as I am personally comfortable with the one I currently have.

I am thinking of keeping the chassis for now and just upgrading the electricals making it faster as I get more used to it, is this alright and will it work for me?

Cheers
(Sorry for spelling on a bus using a smartphone)
Old 26-06-2013

Absolutely OK. That's the best way to approach it.

Sounds like you've got the right idea - as you progress, you'll soon realise which bits you need to focus on.
Old 26-06-2013

Thankyou so much for your advice and I will take every piece of it on board, I appreciate it a lot, thanks again mate.
Old 26-06-2013

Send a message via Skype™ to brizzlemark

If Oople run any sort of awards or recognition I'd like to nominate Gnarly Old Dog's post #2, it reminds me of the friendliness and support that helps keeps the RC community the fun place we like to play in.

Good work fella..!
Old 26-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzlemark View Post
If Oople run any sort of awards or recognition I'd like to nominate Gnarly Old Dog's post #2, it reminds me of the friendliness and support that helps keeps the RC community the fun place we like to play in.

Good work fella..!
I totally agree with that!
Old 27-06-2013

Hi guys love the post, some sound advise from narly old dog, and to put my two peneth in you will find that the guys that have been racing for years (nearly 30 for me) are the ones that always help the new and inexperianced guys out even if the older guys have their cars in a million bits.
So new guy, go out and enjoy your racing you will love it, and if you can can get out in practice with the faster guys try and follow them round the track and learn from them,(thats what my son does and its helping his driving no end) and as a previous post suggests, ask questions and dont be sucked into brand snobbery
Old 04-07-2013

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
don't allow yourself to get caught up in any RC snobbery where you'll get convinced by others that you need to buy product X Y or Z.
Great advice that! I see lots of people changing buggies often and not really getting any better. Save the cash, polish your skills and learn about setting up your Boost.