Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 25-03-2016

Default Tyler Liddle RC Diary

Hi my name is Tyler liddle, Iam 10 years old.I thought I would start a little thread to show how much I love my hobbie. First off a little history about me and my hobbie (RC racing).
For my sixth birthday I fortunately got an RC car as my dad raced at that time,it was a B4.1 team associated 2WD. I enjoyed messing around with it on the local field.

[IMG][/IMG]

I went to my first RC club at six, with my dad, not long after my birthday. The club was Seaham youth centre or (NEAM) as it is also called. It was the first time I had a go on a real track, it was
astounding, and it was half carpet and the other half polished,slippy wood floor with jumps and obstacle. The track was mainly laid out with thick ropes to direct the lanes.

Watching the other drivers go around the track was much easier than it actually was. I was running with the standard ready to run steering wheel controller. Although it was quit difficult at first I really enjoyed it and couldn't resist to go back the following week...

Here is a link to my first race
https://youtu.be/_8diVFHTk8A

since i found RC driving super fun, I continued to race at Seham and gradually i got better week after week. The fun part wasn't just driving but also experimenting with new and complex settings in addition to my car. However, changing the car was kind of hard to get used to sometimes.

To present I have had many different race meetings including: the Bradbury cup, the oople race,the European warm up and the north east regionals and nationals ETC. Not only did I explore the content of new race meeting but cars as well: associated B44 4WD, yokomo B max 2 2WD, yokomo B max 4 4WD, kyosho RB6 2WD and the kyosho ZX6 4WD. also i have achieved many different medals/trophies due to good driving or participating, including: under 13 seeded 2WD north east champion for 2013/2015 as well as under 13 seeded 4WD north east champion for 2014.
[IMG][/IMG]

here is a picture of my current buggies
kyosho
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 26-03-2016

At the weekend i went to a particularly special race meeting called the Bradbury Cup, it was the first outdoor race of the season and it was held at Robin Hood Raceway.
[IMG][/IMG]

Everyone had a round of practice including me. My buggy was grip rolling a lot, when we got back to the pits "me and my Dad" I asked my dad to put some worn mini spikes on with the outer row of tyre cut off.

Quick thanks to Lee Freeman for charging our batteries, as our leisure battery wasn't working

Round one went really well the tyres worked and my buggy stopped grip rolling
.I had a good clean race.My car was a little slow but was great on the infield, I finished in my heat with 10 laps in 5m.30sec
[IMG][/IMG]

Round two went considerably well again but the buggy was yet again a bit slow on the long straight but surprisingly i managed to beat the other race drivers on the infield. I had two crucial mistakes so I finished with a time of 9 laps which was a bit disappointing because I missed 10 by a second.
[IMG][/IMG]

Round three, My Dad turned the endpoint up on my buggy by 5% my buggy was still slower compared to the other cars bout it helped me get a better feel and i could clear the jumps more easy and I improved on both of my previous rounds and so I finished 3rd in my heat with a time of 10 laps in 5m.21sec
[IMG][/IMG]

Round four went astoundingly well as on the previous round I was driving clean so my Dad had gladly turned up the end point on my buggy by 5%. It was at 90% now and I didn't need to judge the track as much. I raced clean and got my fastest lap time of the day (29.84 seconds) also my best time of the day at 10 laps in 5m.17sec. I was pleased with my driving and looking forward to the finals.
[IMG][/IMG]

As the end of qualifying was closed the sky went dark and the temperature had droped meaning that the air was cool and moist.The finals got posted and we were pleased, top position in the D final against other drivers who I am generally behind. Although last in the C final would have took the pressure off a lot!
[IMG][/IMG]

The final was a disaster, but I learned a lot. my tyres were to worn and with the air being cooler and more moist the track had a really Greesey feel compared to my heats. I struggled for grip. I tried to lead away but the 2nd place was trying to get past and unfortunately we came into contact and I came out worst ending up near the straight. I chased the pack and retrieved a couple of positions but I hit a pile of cars on the corner this span my car around and another car hit me leading me to break the arm buckle on my car. My race was over!
I learned a lot from that meeting and enjoyed the different format of all rounds to count and bump up finals.
I cant wait to go to Robin Hood Raceway in two weeks for regionals

here is a short video of the start of my final
https://youtu.be/ea7I486n7Ek

Last edited by Tyler Liddle; 26-03-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 26-03-2016

I saw the final clip it looked really messy and such a spoiler.
But having a race diary is a great idea keep it up
Old 26-03-2016
Mad Member

Well done Tyler! Good to see local talent coming through the ranks!

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 26-03-2016
Mad Member

Nice 1 ty
Old 04-04-2016

Sunday 3rd of April 2016,
When we arrived at Seaham youth centre, there was around 30 drivers there, the track was getting built so I went to help to build it. I was surprised to see that it was a very interesting and different track as there were many obstacles and also that the main jump was on the opposite side of the track to usual.
[IMG][/IMG]

Going into rd 1 I new there was a few sections that would be tricky to drive at speed so i just went steady and tried my best for a clean run. It ended decent i won my heat with a time of 16 laps in 314 seconds.
My Kyosho RB was feeling great and super easy to drive.

[IMG][/IMG]

RD2
we changed nothing on the buggy for this round just checked and cleaned it. I had another solid consistent run and getting a bit more used to the layout i took 10s off my previous time.
i finished with 16 laps in 304 seconds.

[IMG][/IMG]

RD3
for this round i was hoping for a better time again as we turned the buggy up 5% in the end point. Although it was only a small amount i could turn a decent lap but was making more mistakes and my buggy felt edgy and not as consistent as the previous rds. i also had a bit of bad luck with coming together other buggies in this rd. I finished with a time of 16 laps in 304 seconds again.

[IMG][/IMG]

RD4
We thought we would try and keep the speed so left the end point up on the car as it was the previous rd. My dad cut the outer row of spikes off my rear tyres (yellow mini spikes) to try and make it a bit less edgy at the faster speed. I achieved my best run of the night despite hitting a overturned car on my last lap and loosing 5-6 seconds.i still finished with 17 laps in 316 seconds i also got my best lap of the night of 17.19

[IMG][/IMG]

After all the rounds of qualifying i finished 11th which put me 4th in the B final

[IMG][/IMG]

We lined up on the final on the straight in our grid order and waited for the count down,I got a decent start but unfortunately on the 2nd corner i ran wide and a buggy came on my inside and we contacted and i rolled over onto my roof. All of the other buggies passed and i thought my race was over,then i thought just keep it cool and clean and see what happens.i just put my head down trying to laps and do my own race and ignor the other cars i some how managed to get back upto second place i was catching the leader but ran out of time my buggy felt great and i was pleased with my driving.

[IMG][/IMG]

here is a video of my race i am the red buggy in the first race on the video

https://youtu.be/O0dUFlFJWbc
Old 05-04-2016
oOple Advertiser

Hi,

Great read.

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 05-04-2016
Mad Member

Excellent reporting Ty....your driving is geting better and better....wont be long till your in the A Final every week!!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 06-04-2016
Mad Member

Great little diary Tyler, keep it up!
Old 12-04-2016

8th,9th of April 2016
We went to the first regional of 2016 held at RHR
me and my family set off as soon as dad came in, I was so hyped! when we got there we looked for a good place to put our caravan meanwhile I played with my little brothers to entertain them meanwhile mam and dad set the awning up. I had a great night leading up to the first day of the regional larking about the camping field and with my 2 little brothers and friends. I had a good look of the track so I would be familiar with it the following day.
[IMG][/IMG]

The track was really wet and moist as it had been raining trough the night and was still drizzling,so we put ballistics on the rear and yellow mini spikes on the front for the warm up it worked really well so we decided to run them in the 1st round as well. we had the buggy at 70% running a 8 turn motor,I achieved a time of 10 laps in 5mins 24secs the car felt really good.
[IMG][/IMG]

coming into round 2 the track was slightly dryer but not completely dry so we stuck with ballistics on the rear but we changed to some high profile cut staggers on the front in yellow compound the combination of tyres worked well as the track was dry in some places but wet in others. it was tricky to drive but changing from grippy to slippy when hitting a dryer spot I was happy with my time: 10 laps in 5mins 14secs.

[IMG][/IMG]

round 3, we turned the car throttle up to 100% just to try. However, I found it really hard to drive as it was a big jump from 70% throttle on the previous round also as it was very hard to control on the slippy parts of the track. In the middle of the race my car broke as i went a bit wild on the big jump in the middle with the extra speed so I had to come off. I finished with only 6 laps, however, I was not to concerned about my time as I had 1 more round left to qualify.
[IMG][/IMG]

Round 4 we went down to 90% throttle and stayed with the same tyres as the previous rd I was doing well until my car started to grind and then come to a stop?!?It Was The Idle Gears. They Had Stripped!!!
I finished with only 6 laps again...
[IMG][/IMG]

I qualified with only my first two rounds counting i got 6th in the D final

It was a mega rush to fix the car but luckily with the help of Stephen Forster my dad manged to fix my car just in time for My final Close Call!
I got just half a lap warm up and lined up on the grid. We put some new yellow spikes on the rear but kept the high profile cut staggers on the front as the track was dryer than all the previous rounds. i was 6th on the grid I started good and got through the first lap or so, I got up to second and I felt like we had made the right choice with the tyres as they aloowed me to push but it felt safe. I was chasing 1st for most of the race around 10 seconds back until I grip rolled and then crashed on the doubles! It was still ok however I felt my buggy could lap a bit faster than 1st place but I just wasn't as consistent. I finished 2nd place in my final and I was very very pleased!
[IMG][/IMG]

Link to my final video Iam on first red kyosho rb6
https://youtu.be/uhVK3QQB-Dk

The trophies were given out and I spent the rest of the night playing football,tig and blocky with the other kids that were camping at RHR. I am getting quite a lot of RC friends now. I finished off the day with marshmallows from the BBQ thanks J.Edwards then I went back and chilled in the caravan watching tv looking forward to 4wd the next day!

Last edited by Tyler Liddle; 12-04-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 27-04-2016

Sunday 24/4/16
I went to Seaham RC club,when we got there i booked in for 2wd. The track was looking great with a good flowing design and some great obsticle. Seaham RC club is really popular and again a good turn out of 32 drivers booked infor the 2wd heats.

There was no practice this makes it fair for everyone, it also makes it more easy to get the 4 rds in and a final with the high numbers racing.

The club always runs FTQ so just one fasted rd to count for the qualifying.i dont always like this as me and my dad feel the track does get faster and slower through out the nights meeting, unsure why maybe to do with the hall temperature and the fluff on the carpet being moved of the racing line.

I was placed in heat 3 of the 4 2wd heats car 8.

RD1
I finished 4th place in my heat with a time of 18 laps in 5m07s, this placed me 8th overall after RD1. The car felt good i ran yellow mini pins on the rear with outer row trimmed, on the front i ran yellow low profile cut staggers. motor speed was set on 80% all night.

RD2
I finished 2nd in this heat with a faster time of 18 laps in 5m02s. Now sitting in 7th place in the overalls after the 2 rounds. i was hoping for 19 laps it was in my reach i just had a few small mistakes which cost me, mostly due due to my buggy having slightly to much turn in causing the buggy to cut in and snag the corners a little.

RD3
I finished 2nd again in RD3 with a time of 18 laps in 5m03s i had now dropped down to 9th overall as other drivers had improved. We turned the steering speed down slightly for this RD, the buggy felt good its just difficult in the heat as most of the drivers ability are pretty even making traffic an issue for all the drivers to pull away from each other.

RD4
We changed nothing on the buggy as it felt good even though i still couldnt get the 19 laps in that i wanted. I felt that the pace was there so i was pleased with my driving i was just a bit unlucky. I finished 4th in my heat with a slower time of 18 laps in 5m05s. I had now dropped to 12th place overall out of 32 drivers after all the rds.

overalls after heats

This placed me 4th in the B final with 7 car finals. We prepped the buggy for the final and we were going to change the rear shock positions out. We then decided to just leave them and and run the buggy as it was as i was already used to it.

Final
The final was full of what i would call decent drivers.The first few laps was pretty much grid order with me sitting in 4th place.I then got tagged a little and dropped back to around 6th place. My buggy was feeling great fast and precise. I kept it on its wheels and started doing clean lap. I had some good battles. the race felt like it lasted ages. With around 2 laps to go i had caught up to the lead pack. I chased them and 1 of the leaders crashed on the big table top, I got passed then anther one tipped just after the timing loop I passed on the inside. I was now within 2 meters or so of the leader with 1 lap to go. I drove as fast as i could caught up but tagged a corner just before the finish line. I finished 1 second back from 1st place.
i really enjoyed this final
would of been nice to win but im pleased with the out come and my driving .

video is below im the red and white buggy in the first race at the start of the video.
https://youtu.be/_nKO_ShbNq8

Last edited by Tyler Liddle; 27-04-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2016

Quick video of my pit set up
https://youtu.be/P0yfvWVgj9U
Old 04-08-2016
Mad Member

Ha Ha....great stuff Tyler (and Camera man) Hopefuly gonna be an R/C star soon!!!! Great lad!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 04-08-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Oople cribs
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------