Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 27-06-2014

Default DEX210 Rear Shock Tower Query..

Morning everyone,
I’ve got a DEX210 (v1) and am looking at getting the Atomic Carbon 4mm Lower Rear Shock Tower, am I correct in thinking I’ll need some shorter shock shafts of roughly the same difference in length? Also, am I right in thinking that the 52mm Durango 410 shock shafts will be ok to use as the 210’s are 55mm?

If anyone has got any other alternative’s, would be greatly appreciated.

Liam
Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

That depends a bit on what chassis/chassis plate you have. The V1 chassis plate, tower and shocks combine to a situation where the droop is limited by the chassis, not the shocks. As such, a 4mm lower tower may be used on it without limiters/spacers or a shorter shock shaft (after all, the chassis is preventing your arm from going down lower.

If the chassis does not limit the droop of your car for any reason (mods, aftermarket parts etc), put limiters in your shocks until the ground clearance at without load/weight on it is about 40mm on the rear (which is approximately the droop level of the 210V2). Some very high bite tracks may require you to go down to 37-38mm to prevent occasional grip rolling, but for me the 40mm has worked well in most circumstances so far

PS: As you might have heard me mention, you don't necessarily need shorter shock shafts. Spacers with a 3.5-4mm hole diameter work fine - I 3D print my own, but you can buy them or even make them from the ball stud/suspension spacers that you got in the kit, just drill/ream out the hole until it fits over the shock shaft without friction. With the spacers you can fine tune to the millimeter, instead of the 3mm difference the shock shafts offer.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 27-06-2014

The car is running a RDRP +11mm chassis, which doesn’t restrict the droop (droop screws don’t actually touch the chassis plate), so I’m guessing you mean that when the damper is fully extended on the car it should be at 40mm max ride height, possibly slightly lower? I’m new to buggies so still learning at the moment.

Thanks for your quick response.
Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamC View Post
The car is running a RDRP +11mm chassis, which doesn’t restrict the droop (droop screws don’t actually touch the chassis plate), so I’m guessing you mean that when the damper is fully extended on the car it should be at 40mm max ride height, possibly slightly lower? I’m new to buggies so still learning at the moment.

Thanks for your quick response.
Yep, in that the car should have a 40mm ride height at the rear when the dampers are fully extended.

PS: Do watch how your driveshafts are seated when you run a ball diff with short outdrives (that came with the 210V1). The V1 had less rear droop than the V2, increasing it reduces the depth with which the driveshafts sit in the outdrives. The V2 uses longer outdrives to get good clearance at those droop levels, with the V1 just monitor if it runs safely/smoothly inside the outdrives (I have seen people run V1s that way).

Old 27-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
Yep, in that the car should have a 40mm ride height at the rear when the dampers are fully extended.

PS: Do watch how your driveshafts are seated when you run a ball diff with short outdrives (that came with the 210V1). The V1 had less rear droop than the V2, increasing it reduces the depth with which the driveshafts sit in the outdrives. The V2 uses longer outdrives to get good clearance at those droop levels, with the V1 just monitor if it runs safely/smoothly inside the outdrives (I have seen people run V1s that way).
I'm running a Durango Gear Diff - does that come with the shorter outdrives?

Thanks for your help
Old 27-06-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamC View Post
I'm running a Durango Gear Diff - does that come with the shorter outdrives?

Thanks for your help
The gear diff outdrives are slightly longer than the short ball diff once, and the same as the long ball diff ones - so it'll work perfectly The difference is only 1.25mm per side, but that's all you need!