Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Old 14-02-2014

Quote". Not a maximum of five. Let's say oscar got his 4 and 5 in rounds 1 and 2 of qualifying and then didn't score higher in the last two rounds of qualifying, I could get a 4 and 5 in rounds 3 and 4 of qualifying. That could also happen with the other score combinations you posted which ten people could have the same points. "

I know I am being pedantic but.... If , as you point out, 10 drivers could end up with the same points (you were right about that, my error..!) then their final position is decided by ..... FTD....
Old 14-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
The biggest single influence on the FTD vs RBR is that tracks change, even indoors.
Last time out the practice and R1 were slippery, then the grip increasingly picked up right until the end.
A couple of meetings earlier saw a slippery practice, then a higher grip level which noticeably dropped away in R4 and finals.
If I have a perfect run in R1 on a slippy track, then beat my best time in R3 despite several mistakes, is that a fair way??
If you were taken out by back markers or a car failure when the track was at its peak, should that affect your final position?
In my opinion that is why FTD is no longer the norm and RBR is the better all round fair solution.
With what John has raised here hits one of the nails on the head

With changing track conditions aside, another major plus is that when it comes to the final qualifying positions it seeds the drivers who have driven quickly AND consistently throughout the day.

Number5RC is now LIVE! http://number5rc.co.uk

Stockists of Schumacher - Team Durango - Xray - XfactoryUK brands - Answer RC - LMR + More to be announced

Follow us on Facebook for live updates and news
Old 14-02-2014

This is the extract from BRCA. rules..again... Quote....The Round by Round qualifying method awards points for each competitor’s position in each qualifying round individually. Highest qualifying position in each Round will score zero (0) points, second place will score two (2) points, third place three (3) points and so on. (Regional events can amend this points system subject to software compatibility). Weather/external circumstances may prevent all scheduled qualifying rounds being completed, therefore points from each driver’s best qualifying rounds are added together to determine a final qualifying position as follows :-..end Quote...

I understand this, as at the end of a Round, drivers are awarded points based on their time.. ie fastest driver gets 0 points slowest driver..IN THE ROUND.....NOT HEAT...gets ( if say 35 drivers. ) 34 points..,! Etc. etc..
Our system seems to allocate points PER HEAT... so that the third driver in Heat A gets 3 points, and the third driver in Heat B also gets 3 points..whereas he/she should get say 11 points if 8 drivers per Heat..
That was my point about something wrong in the computer program...

I do understand the merits of RBR if it works as per the BRCA...

Last edited by Aire valley; 14-02-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Amendment
Old 14-02-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
Quote". Not a maximum of five. Let's say oscar got his 4 and 5 in rounds 1 and 2 of qualifying and then didn't score higher in the last two rounds of qualifying, I could get a 4 and 5 in rounds 3 and 4 of qualifying. That could also happen with the other score combinations you posted which ten people could have the same points. "

I know I am being pedantic but.... If , as you point out, 10 drivers could end up with the same points (you were right about that, my error..!) then their final position is decided by ..... FTD....
Not necessarily. In the occasion of a tie, the time taken into account comes from your best scoring round. So lets say both peoples highest round score is a 4, driver A gets 4th in the round on a slightly damp track in round 1 and scores 13 laps, Driver B comes 5th. Driver B gets a 4th in round 2 on a slightly drier track goes quicker again on 13 laps. Driver A comes 5th in round 2. Neither drivers do very well in round 3.

Now lets say that round 4 of qualifying the sun has come out and the track is now the perfect conditions, Driver A goes out has a stormer and does 16 laps, driver B breaks it and doesn't improve. Unfortunatley for driver 1 everybody else has had a good round as well and so he has to settle for 8th in the round.

Driver B would win the tie break because of his slightly faster time on his highest scoring round. But if it was based on FTD then Driver A would have easily out qualified driver B.

Also remember that A higher round score will be taken into account before a tied point score. So if driver A scored a 1 and a 4 and driver B scored a 2 and a 3 then although they are both tied on points, driver A would out qualify driver B because of his 1 score over driver B's highest 2 score.

I have always loved RBR ever since it came in. I have never had massive amounts of raw pace and consistency has always been key for me to do well so RBR suits me better.

With FTD I always hated the last round dash. The disappointment of being knocked out of the A by that person who got lucky in the last round despite the fact you had out qualified them all day until that point. The breaking your car in the first round only for it to lightly drizzle in the last three rounds of qualifying ruining any chance of progressing up the qualifying standings.

RBR rules!

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 14-02-2014

Cripes ...! Got a headache now....must go and have a lie down..
You have just given the best reason for FTD....simple to understand for a very simple minded person (me)....
RBR must have been designed by a committee....
Old 14-02-2014
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
Our system seems to allocate points PER HEAT... so that the third driver in Heat A gets 3 points, and the third driver in Heat B also gets 3 points..whereas he/she should get say 11 points if 8 drivers per Heat..
That was my point about something wrong in the computer program...
I'm afraid your understanding is incorrect, points are definitely allocated by round on our system.
The only thing I might add in case it is the source of confusion, is that each class has its own separate points score. So at Batley that would be 2wd, 4wd and U13
Feel free to grab me at the next meeting if anything is still confusing
Old 14-02-2014

Thanks John..... I would like to do that.....
Perhaps scrutinising the print outs will enlighten me..! Cheers...
Old 02-03-2014

Well Alan you seem to have alot of luck in the round by round qualifying...
Old 02-03-2014

Still prefer the simplicity of FTD.... !
However, finals are not so good when certain people run into and over a careful driver....no names mentioned Daniel and Sammy ....!!