Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 13-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default How to drive a 2WD

Ok so Ive taken my MR to the local track (carpet) and its ok but I always spinning around, Ive only really had a few laps where I didn't spin out but that was taking it relativly slow

Others there seem to stick to the mat like they are on rails, it gets really frustrating.

Now the 4 things I have to choose from to find the answer or it could be a combo.

1. Tyres.
Does having slicks instead of worn nibs make it all the better?
And tyre liquid I see a few smearing that on B4 they go out to drive

2. Throttle
Well it was the first time I used i the TX so I will have to go through a few setups there. Im thinking having like a 70/30 or is it just traxxas that have that.
little more throttle throw and a little more drag brake
I think I need to have a smoother finger on the trigger

3 Car set up
I just don't really know what I can do different here besides the tyres
shocks and oils for body roll

4 Motor set up
I have the ezrun 9T 35A combo, Ill have to go through those settings and have a little less punch and more drag.

What can you guys give me for tips and advice? Anything that may help is great thanks
Old 13-01-2011
Mad Member

Sounds like the main problem is tyres. Best advice is to run whatever the fast guys run at the local track. On UK tracks that would usually be Schumacher yellow minipins, maybe stagger ribs on the front. You mentions slicks and additive - are you perhaps racing against touring cars? You will never get the buggy to handle like a tourer.

Keep the transmitter settings simple. 50/50 on the throttle and use the ESC to adjust feel. On the steering side, use the EPA to get full lock (no more, no less), then use the dual rate to decrease steering lock if you need to (probably not on a buggy indoors)

Car setup is equally simple. If the car is well built according to the instructions it shouldn't be too far off. Generally carpet favours stiffer springs and oils.

The ezrun is sensorless so may not be as smooth as the sensored systems most racers use. That probably won't cause you to spin out though unless the throttle is cogging especially badly.
Old 13-01-2011
Mad Member

Kiwi,

We had a guy with a MR at our club whos car kept spinning out. Sourced it to the fact that the diff screw came so far out that the drive shaft was hitting it forcing the suspension to stop instead of letting the car lean over. we whipped a few mm off with the dremel and the car was handling fine.

I know when I built my xpro i had to do a bit of dremel work on the wishbones and hubs to get the suspension to move freeley. You are aiming for the wishbones to drop under their own weight without needing a push. To check they are doing this take off the wheels and undo the shock screw on the wishbone. Pull the wishbone up to the top of travel and then let it go. It should drop fairly quickly and shouldn't bind up anywhere when it is dropping. If it is binding take apart and take a bit of material off of the wishbones so that when put together it doesn't rub where it comes in contact with a hub or pivot block. Take a little bit off at a time and try not to take too much off.

I would say that it probably is tyre choice as sosidge has suggested. I run an X-pro on carpet and have been doing for about four months now. On a low grip carpet Schumcaher yellow mini pins all round are ideal, and then high grip carpet Schumacher yellow mini pins on the back and schumcacher staggered ribs on the front are the way to go. I would really suggest asking people at the club what they are using. There is no secret squirrel stuff when it comes to tyres as it is quite difficult to hide what you are running on track.

If you want anymore help just drop us a PM

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 13-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thanks for the replys
Ill give the rat a going over tonight.

The thing is all the others there are using slicks, but Ill see and try a couple other tires I have to see if it helps. Im next there on sunday probably, so Ill see if I can get a bit of filming done as well
Ill tack a pic of the tires I have and post it soon
Old 20-01-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yep I got some slicks and carpet liquid... wow what a difference.
We have to refrain from using pins or any tire with a tread/pins