Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 22-01-2016

Default Dog chases the cat conversion

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has an example of the 'dog chases the cat' converted Yokomo?

I'd love to see a photo as an adult, from memory it was a Yokomo with a Pro-Cat or Cat XLS front end - idea being that car would have the best of the YZ-10 and Schumacher cat.

Would have been late eights very early nineties I think!

Cheers

Adrian
Old 22-01-2016

Chap in Iconic FB group has such a machine
Old 23-01-2016
Mad Member

That is owned by Jiffy, hand built by his father. As you can see he has recently restored it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1453511073875.jpg (58.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1453511145481.jpg (183.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 23-01-2016
Awesome Admin

Yes the Dogcat he was struggling with it at last year's revival he said it use to go well when it was originally made
Old 23-01-2016

I think the extra pace given by that brushless motor & the high grip astro was throwing up some slight handling issues. First off the angle of the front steering links was causing some quite major bump-steer (some washers under the ball stud on the hub end helped a little bit). Then the heavily lightened (and already narrow) front area of the chassis allowed the whole front end to twist giving it a kind of 'active-steering' effect! On the whole though, with a little work I would imagine it could be made to work very well!!

Adrian - where would you have been racing in the late 80s/early 90s? Jiffy's DogCat would have been in action in the Northants/Milton Keynes area - specifically the Toddington club.
+ too many vintage racers to list!
Old 23-01-2016

The CAT had bags and bags of steering in an age when many cars struggled in that area - which was probably the thinking behind the conversion. That advantage is neutralised by today's high grip tracks though.

Muzzoom Models Motorsport
Old 23-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
I think the extra pace given by that brushless motor & the high grip astro was throwing up some slight handling issues. First off the angle of the front steering links was causing some quite major bump-steer (some washers under the ball stud on the hub end helped a little bit). Then the heavily lightened (and already narrow) front area of the chassis allowed the whole front end to twist giving it a kind of 'active-steering' effect! On the whole though, with a little work I would imagine it could be made to work very well!!

Adrian - where would you have been racing in the late 80s/early 90s? Jiffy's DogCat would have been in action in the Northants/Milton Keynes area - specifically the Toddington club.
I raced at Silverstone Buggy club. What a small world it is, as assuming it is the same person, I purchased Jiffy's Cougar 2 team off him around 91/92 I think from memory (just after the advent of the Cougar 2000), and ironically I am getting his original shell reproduced for my modern(ish) SV2 as I still love the paint job! (still own the Cougar2).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7782.JPG (734.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 23-01-2016

Thanks for all the replies

Clever original engineering is why I loved and still love model car racing
Old 23-01-2016

Was this car a one off conversion then? Mega wow if it was! I always thought it was a small scale commercial product by a 3rd party (obviously not Yokomo or Schumacher!!).

Last edited by AdrianH78; 23-01-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 23-01-2016

Another one here from the old Silverstone days. I still keep in touch with Tesh aswell....
Old 23-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by upforit365 View Post
Another one here from the old Silverstone days. I still keep in touch with Tesh aswell....
Wow! He was my model car racing hero growing up! (that and Jamie Booth) Superb driver, who knew how to get the best out of the Cougar 2000 which was no easy feat....

I remember a big Silverstone buggy club meeting one weekend, he qualified on pole with Schumacher's Tim Waldren either second or third. Unfortunately for Tesh, Tim managed to squeeze in front on a small mistake on the opening lap, but what unfolded was the most patient controlled attack ever, complete respect of Tim's position on the track (and maybe within Schumacher Racing ). Tesh got to within a nats whisker on numerous occasions but never touched Tim car. Great driving, great memories
Old 23-01-2016

Ears, dats mine init
Old 23-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
Ears, dats mine init
Must be spooky seeing it again after what must be 20 years+?

Did you race that body on a pro cat or a boscat on the way to winning a club championship at Towcester football club off road? (Silverstone Buggy club) Probably early 90s late 80s?
Old 23-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH78 View Post
Must be spooky seeing it again after what must be 20 years+?

Did you race that body on a pro cat or a boscat on the way to winning a club championship at Towcester football club off road? (Silverstone Buggy club) Probably early 90s late 80s?
I think I did have it on a bosscat you know, blimey its all coming back now, I think I won the Championship on the last meeting with a Tamiya Vanquish
Old 24-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffy View Post
I think I did have it on a bosscat you know, blimey its all coming back now, I think I won the Championship on the last meeting with a Tamiya Vanquish
I remember you winning it last round

I didn't realise the 'DogCat' was your dad's work - brilliant idea and execution!
Old 24-01-2016
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH78 View Post
I remember you winning it last round

I didn't realise the 'DogCat' was your dad's work - brilliant idea and execution!
Stop it Adrian he's got a massive head as it is don't make him worse!!!!
Old 24-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakey View Post
Stop it Adrian he's got a massive head as it is don't make him worse!!!!
Ha ha!! As impressive as the racing was, its clever engineering which is the star for me in this hobby, so Jiffy's dad actually wins!!
Old 25-01-2016

Its funny - there's so many of us racers from those old days that are either still racing, or who have come back to the hobby in more recent years. I think I was a little bit later to the Schumacher Challenge series than most of you guys - but I remember racing at Silverstone's track at the football club in Towcester for probably the last two years before they moved to Pottersbury School with my Mardave Cobra. I have fond memories of that series, run between the four main clubs in Northamptonshire - sending off my entries with an SAE & cheque for payment to each club & waiting patiently for my entry confirmation to be returned. I still have my runner-up series trophy for the last time it was run (1998 I think?)

I started racing at the small indoor club in Parson's Hall in Irchester, N'Hants. Jiffy, Tesh, Kurt, Steve Swan, Jonathan Murphy, Steve Ware (Charlie's dad) John Fillingham were all regulars - with occasional visits from Ant Hill & Rob Gammon
Old 25-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
Its funny - there's so many of us racers from those old days that are either still racing, or who have come back to the hobby in more recent years. I think I was a little bit later to the Schumacher Challenge series than most of you guys - but I remember racing at Silverstone's track at the football club in Towcester for probably the last two years before they moved to Pottersbury School with my Mardave Cobra. I have fond memories of that series, run between the four main clubs in Northamptonshire - sending off my entries with an SAE & cheque for payment to each club & waiting patiently for my entry confirmation to be returned. I still have my runner-up series trophy for the last time it was run (1998 I think?)

I started racing at the small indoor club in Parson's Hall in Irchester, N'Hants. Jiffy, Tesh, Kurt, Steve Swan, Jonathan Murphy, Steve Ware (Charlie's dad) John Fillingham were all regulars - with occasional visits from Ant Hill & Rob Gammon
Great times! I thoroughly enjoyed the big indoor carpet series run during the winter. Part of the draw for getting back into the hobby again.. (carpet racing=lower maintenance!)

I remember Kurt's Yokomos, always superbly built and presented. I think his body shells were easily some of the best painted in the club!
Old 25-01-2016

Do you mean the indoor series that were run between the DMS & Silverstone clubs? Held for a while at Lings Forum (Northampton) for the Silverstone events & at a Leisure Centre in Watford (different to the still current location) for the DMS meetings - both with Ray Paice at race control

I managed to get some good results with my Mardave Cobra at these events - that car liked flat carpet tracks!