Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 02-08-2007

Default Bored of mid motor 2wds yet?

The "I made this" part of Oople is one of my favourite forums - some awesome projects here. I saw the different mid motor 2wd buggies and thought they were really unique and interesting. As I never really fancied how my XXX handled I decided to take it out of storage and build a mid motor buggy out of it.

... yes yes, another one...

Started by hacking up the chassis and after some measurements the backbone of the chassis was designed and cut from aluminum and G10

The rear brace was designed to be narrow so as to provide some rigidity but yet allow a saddle pack configuration...

The battery hold-downs were fabricated next and this is how the setup looked.

Actually the hole where the antennae tube holder is mounted was actually designed as a spot for an additional stand off to increase chassis rigidity but after bolting everything up as in the pic I found the chassis didn't really have too much flex (using the sophisticated "hand-twist" test)

If you excuse the unsightly wiring, here's some simple test gear I put in there. I figure if I like the performance I'll swap it out for some higher spec gear.

Here's a pic with the ugly hacked up cover (I really don't like the color but the whole car was bought used)

Comments would be most welcome.

I'd love to hear from other mid motor 2wd drivers what your experiences are with the handling of these cars and what setup changes you've made.

Cheers,

BC
Old 02-08-2007

I'm afraid I've no experience with mid-motor 2wd buggies (building or driving); I just wanted to say how impressed I am by your workmanship - great job!
Old 03-08-2007

Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

I've wanted to do that to my BK1, if I get a CR I will do it to match my mid-motor truck.

Great craftsmanship, do you have a full chassis shot with no body?
Old 06-08-2007

Thanks for the kind comments.

Had the opportunity to run this buggy over the weekend. First time out the car performed very poorly - it was erratic at best. I suspected that the poor performance was caused by unsuitable rear tires and a rear diff that needed a rebuild.

Swapped out the tires for some bowties and rebuilt the diff for the next run. Performance was much improved. After some spring tuning the car started to find its groove slowly... actually keeping up with some of the 1/8s going around the track. It lost out on the straights due to the stock class motor but through the turns it was doing quite well.

It drives very different from a standard 2wd through. On power it seems to understeer but off power the car brings its rear around quite well. I had to watch the throttle at lower speeds as the rear had a tendency to come loose if I pinned the throttle too hard. At higher speeds though, it seemed to be a lot more stable around the track.

I was browsing the X-6 forums and was glad to read the experiences of the X-6 drivers. Although I'm sure my car performs nowhere near the level of the X-factory buggy, the descriptions of their buggy driving characteristics seemed similar to mine.

What are the other mid motor guys experiencing?

More tuning to do to try to get more steering on power... I probably need to fashion a way to adjust roll-center in the rear.
Old 15-09-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Well thought out and made. That is the correct way to do it and now as it is a prototype you can now develop it more via testing. Well done and keep us posted with the new ideas that you put into it.

I doubt youd remember but Tekin many years ago when Eustace Moore was racing his 4wd RC10 (Mr MIP by the way) a chassis specifically for the RC10 was brought out with the gearbox swopped around and mid mounted motor, almost like yours and the X series cars. Its not a new design but still an interesting one.

Do you reckon youd be up for putting the cells in the original position rather than side by side and put in a smaller servo so you would have room then the car to do it and that should handle a lot better and then you should have less body roll. Well its an idea that you may want to try. Still good work.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 16-09-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

Cracking job there mate, after driving an X-6 mid motor 2wd car ill never drive anouther " normal " 2wd buggy again, i see them as a disadvantage now

Garry
Old 16-09-2007
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx4-nutter View Post
Cracking job there mate, after driving an X-6 mid motor 2wd car ill never drive anouther " normal " 2wd buggy again, i see them as a disadvantage now

Garry

poof
Old 16-09-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer View Post
poof

lol twat lol
Old 20-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Well thought out and made. That is the correct way to do it and now as it is a prototype you can now develop it more via testing. Well done and keep us posted with the new ideas that you put into it.

I doubt youd remember but Tekin many years ago when Eustace Moore was racing his 4wd RC10 (Mr MIP by the way) a chassis specifically for the RC10 was brought out with the gearbox swopped around and mid mounted motor, almost like yours and the X series cars. Its not a new design but still an interesting one.

Do you reckon youd be up for putting the cells in the original position rather than side by side and put in a smaller servo so you would have room then the car to do it and that should handle a lot better and then you should have less body roll. Well its an idea that you may want to try. Still good work.
Thanks for the comments.

I did think of the layout you mentioned but I went with the saddle pack configuration as I still wanted to bias the weight distribution toward the rear of the car. Using a stick pack that occupies the space of the steering servo would move the weight a little further forward (although it would center the weight down the centerline of the car a lot more).
Old 20-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Very nicely done, puts my effort to shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Do you reckon youd be up for putting the cells in the original position rather than side by side ... and then you should have less body roll..
Doesn't work like that
Old 20-09-2007
Lee-Mag

Very true, i remember back in the day when scuey were developing the original mission tourer, it was initially thought that cells down the centre was the best way but after several chassis and hundereds of laps it was noted that the car was responding faster and "felt" nicer with the cells further from the centre line
Old 20-09-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to mattym0310

rich... wot happened to your mid motor car??

Team Associated b4
Team Associated b44
Old 20-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
Very nicely done, puts my effort to shame
Please don't say that... your mid motor car was one of the ones that got me inspired enough to try this for myself.

Speaking of which, are you still running yours? Any setup tips to help me get more out of my buggy?
Old 21-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's been sitting on a shelf, little Ben has nicked my spare BJ4 rear shock tower mount, which on my car was holding most of the back end together

I didn't think it was strong/reliable enough to race with properly. Although I never actually broke it, bits kept falling off/bending ect
Old 21-09-2007
Mad Member

why didnt lazy lil ben just get one off dom, like i did a few weeks ago?? lol. unless i bought the last one

Team Associated b4
Team Associated b44
Old 21-09-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

He couldn't get one in time, he got to race at the F3-4-5's though so I don't mind
Old 21-09-2007
Mad Member

lol, oright. its a shame about ur mid-motor car rich, cos i actually really liked it. why dont you fix it up so that it wont fall apart and bend lol??

Team Associated b4
Team Associated b44
Old 22-09-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Wow! ive done the same but to a B4 chassis and front end, only with a losi rear end! yours looks much better though!!....

only problem is with mine, i keep braking the rear pivot block....
ive noticed on yours you seem to have a custom brace made for the hinge pins, jus wondering... would you be able to nock me one up for the rear of my car if i gave you some dimensions? im willing to pay good money (not too much though)

love your car

Tom

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 23-09-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3012 View Post
Wow! ive done the same but to a B4 chassis and front end, only with a losi rear end! yours looks much better though!!....

only problem is with mine, i keep braking the rear pivot block....
ive noticed on yours you seem to have a custom brace made for the hinge pins, jus wondering... would you be able to nock me one up for the rear of my car if i gave you some dimensions? im willing to pay good money (not too much though)

love your car

Tom
thanks - No promises, but drop me a PM with a pic or dimensions and I'll see what I can do. I'm gonna be pretty busy with the family in the near future but if I can help I'll try to find time.
Old 23-09-2007
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

thanks!!! ive got to shoot off to work in a moment, but i when i finish college tomorrow ill draw something up and pm you with it! thanks again!

Tom

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374