Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > KYOSHO

Old 21-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Nice. If it starts getting regular A finals around the world it will hopefully become more popular and threaten he Associated/Losi dominance.

I can't see it breaking through in this country in a big way until Kyosho put forward a proper team of drivers. Shame as the car is awesome. Hopefully Woodys efforts will make Kyosho realise that it can compeat on UK tracks and convince them to run a small team next year.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 21-06-2007
Administrator

The ROAR results are good, but I was surprised how small the US Nationals are - only a few heats of drivers, maybe 4 heats, so 40 drivers?. Woody did it against 130 drivers.
I think Stu has shown the car is absolutely competitive. The changes he's made to the setup have really paid off. No matter what we do though, I think without Kyosho pushing the car from their end it will be hard to make a big impact
Old 21-06-2007
Stu-Perstar

Big UP to the guys in the Satates though.
Old 29-06-2007

Hi Guys,
Just been lookin' at the thread and having just looked at the reviews for this car in the 'mags' I have noticed something quite odd. The 'mags' reviews both say that they run 2b front and 2c rear pistons, ITS WRONG 2c pistons have smaller holes than the 2b's so the C's should be on the front ask any ZX5 owner, unless of course kyosho swapped the letters round for the rb5 pistons either deliberately or by accident(printing error). If I am right (please god) then put the 2c's in the front and the 2b's in the rear(drill the 2b pistons holes both to 1.5mm and don't touch the fronts) and run 35wt front oil and 30wt rear. Much appreciate it if someone would try it and see cos mine will be here soon

HTH Simon
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 29-06-2007
Stu-Perstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonW View Post
Hi Guys,
Just been lookin' at the thread and having just looked at the reviews for this car in the 'mags' I have noticed something quite odd. The 'mags' reviews both say that they run 2b front and 2c rear pistons, ITS WRONG 2c pistons have smaller holes than the 2b's so the C's should be on the front ask any ZX5 owner, unless of course kyosho swapped the letters round for the rb5 pistons either deliberately or by accident(printing error). If I am right (please god) then put the 2c's in the front and the 2b's in the rear(drill the 2b pistons holes both to 1.5mm and don't touch the fronts) and run 35wt front oil and 30wt rear. Much appreciate it if someone would try it and see cos mine will be here soon

HTH Simon
Hi Simon, yes you are right but the set up you have would be too soft and the car will roll too much on the front and this will cause major power understeer. Drilling out pistons has been a good idea on cars that need it like YOK BC but the options available DO work if you find it. We at oOple have spent alot of time playing and we do think ours work as good as anything else.
Old 29-06-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Am i missing something Woody? Have you actually posted your new found set up on here? Don't remember seeing it!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 13-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Would be very interested to see this set-up also. Looking for a good base set-up.

Any chance somebody with it could post it up either in words or on a sheet?
Old 13-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

good luck Roger. i've asked a dozen times! see the other thread for "support the car"

luckily i'm happy with the way mine handles currently.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 13-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

So then Jim ...... why not share your base set-up with me
Old 14-11-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
Would be very interested to see this set-up also. Looking for a good base set-up.

Any chance somebody with it could post it up either in words or on a sheet?
If not already done, look here: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3511, post#9 will give you some ideas!
Old 14-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thanks for the link, however I'd already looked at most of the setups on there.

Shame there is no grass / astro set-ups there .... very different characteristics to even the highest traction dirt tracks due to the balance between forward and lateral traction / grip.
Old 15-11-2007

Give a look @ those two setups on the same page as above:
23/09/2007
Arnaud Collet
Julien Pulicari
Regional - Maison Alfort
Carpet
It is mentioned carpet but this an outside track with a bit of pavement, tarmac and some thing close to carpet or astro as seen on a pic once. A frenchman might confirm you the exact composition of the track.

For setup on UK track, there is Stu Wood to ask for!
Old 15-11-2007

is there any videos out there on carpet or grass-racing?

interested to see how things are like ..
Old 15-11-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

thanks for the info Arno ... might well be very usefully.
Old 02-01-2008

ok guys.. i come from 1/8 offroad.. and run kyosho 777 buggy, and STRR.. anyway... got me a RB5 as well.. wondering if you guys can help me out here.. i am running the stock rear setup.. as far as arms and such go.. here is my delima.. i am having trouble getting on the gas.. or power.. not gas.. but.. the rear of the car is looose looooooose.. i tried different tires.. and just seemed i couldnt get on the power as early as the others.. maybe its just me, and wanting to drive like a maniac like i do with my 1/8.. i workin on throttle control.. but in the main.. they wet the track, and the car was pretty hooked.. and i was considerable faster.. used to run 2wd back in the day.. maybe its just me.. but is there something i can do to my setup.. to lock in the rear more.. here it is... hack away at it..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RB5_GROBETNT112307.jpg (82.1 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-01-2008

Dgrobe2112, from looking at your setup I would say firstly change rear tyres to Proline Holeshots as from your track description they should work better (if not make sure you are using what the fast guys run).

Secondly I'd run the rear shock on the inside hole in the rear arm and maybe a stiffer front spring. Overall though your setup seems ok.

From your track description I'd say you run on a similar surface to me and my current setup seems pretty good so PM me your email address and I'll send it to you (the file size is too big to upload here).
Old 02-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The way it puts the power down is one of the most positive features of the RB5 so I am unsure why your having a problem. Going from gas to electric (as I have recently) does force you to think hard about your throttle control, especially in 2wd.

The advice about tires above is a good point .... tires are about 85-90% of a good set-up!
Old 02-01-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ok ..... I've looked at your set-up properly now .....

On the front, use the inner hole on the wishbone, inner hole on the front upright, inside on the bulkhead with no washers under the inner ball stud (this will calm the car down a bit ..... you can easily have too much steering on a 2wd car!!!)

On the rear, inner hole on wishbone again and set the rear link to the longest combination, 2mm under out ballstud.

The other thing that jumps out at me is the 3B pistons ..... I found the car worked much better if it is a little more free in it's movement. Based on that I'd say if the above doesn't help then try 2C pistons in the front and 2B pistons in the rear!

Let me know if you need anything else, just be sure you can describe exactly what the car is doing when and also what inputs you as the driver are giving it and the feedback from the track surface too.
Old 02-01-2008

thanks guys.. gonna try some different stuff.. i didnt have a whole lot of time to try to change things, as it was just a club race.. but the car was hooked up in the main, when they wet the track..

there was a dusty surface on top during the heat races.. which i beleive wouild have made it worse with holeshots.. i think.. unless i am wrong in my thinkin..
Old 03-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
there was a dusty surface on top during the heat races.. which i beleive wouild have made it worse with holeshots.. i think.. unless i am wrong in my thinkin..
As long as it's a fairly hard dirt surface Holeshots will work even if the track is a bit dusty or sandy on top. Otherwise Bowties work well in these conditions but whilst they provide good forward bite, they don't have the side-bite of holeshots.