Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 27-12-2009

I thought tonights was one of the worst ever. Clarkson is beginning to remind me of Stephen Fry
Old 27-12-2009

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. For some reason I want an old rangey too.
Old 28-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medders View Post
I thought tonights was one of the worst ever. Clarkson is beginning to remind me of Stephen Fry
Classic! Stephen Fry, but without the wit!!

Felt last nights programme was scripted, and just not spontaneous. Did the conversation with the producer go something like...

May, Clarkson and Hammond - "We'll do something original this time"
Producer - "Oh good!"
MCH - "We'll go somewhere really out of the way, buy cars, and then travel a long way over some difficult terrain."
P - "Ah-ha..."
MCH - "Let's go to South America, buy three cars sight-unseen, and then drive them through some really hot, high and dangerous terrain. May will have something stupid, Hammond will get something obvious, and Clarkson will get something unreliable."
P - "Ah-ha..."
MCH - "We'll camp out, break down, say rude things, paint slogans on the cars, and then modify them."
P - OK, but we can't afford to send a VW Beetle as the sweep-up car this time - budget cuts."
MCH - "OK, let's go!"

Been there, seen that, done it...
Old 28-12-2009
Mad Member

...still watched it!

Especially as tv in general is absolute wank. hmm, Eastenders, Corrie or Top Gear!!!
Old 28-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopite View Post
...still watched it!

Especially as tv in general is absolute wank. hmm, Eastenders, Corrie or Top Gear!!!
Yes, I agree, this years TV scheduling has clearly been put together by a total arse who thinks TV is bad for the nation's health and reckoned if it was all crap, maybe we'd get off our collective backsides and perhaps do something more creative?

On t'other hand - and I am not really the least bit environmentally friendly, which I think makes my point more valid - I think the crude destruction of the rainforesty bit by Clarkson & Co was just unnecessary and not really very funny at all. I really am starting to go off TG, and Clarkson really does need to grow up and stop acting like a stereotypical public schoolboy, for God's sake he must be in his mid-50s by now. He does occasionally say some very valid things, and also some very funny things but his credit-rating slips when he participates in guff like last night's episode.

Rant over. I think that Andy Wilman (who actually used to present on TG for a very short time) needs to do a bit of navel-gazing and perhaps re-invent the format, just like they did ooooh about 6 years ago when they ditched Tiff, Quentin and Vicki and started with the studio format. Don't get me wrong, TG is still streets ahead of Fifth Gear, Driven (RIP) and all that shite on satellite like Used Car Roadshow (feat. Driven reject Penny Mallory and TG evictee Jason "That Fat Bloke Down The Pub" Dawes) but just like in life, if you stand still, you stagnate.
Old 28-12-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

could not agree more...30+, channels F all on and so so many repeats.

As for eastenders,cori family fortunes etc,who the hell watches that drivel! population must be brain dead

Rant

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 28-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

This reminds me of an argument me and my aunty had on christmas day i put Only fools and horses on proberly one of the best TV programs ever made she walks in and says where not watchign this and turns on some crap called mr and mrs i swiftly walked out the room and played with my cousins lego.

Come on corry eastender etc is total shite!!!

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 28-12-2009

has anyone else seen this?

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/155570/..._the_road.html

Personally i also think that 25 repeats a day on Dave aren't helping the longevity of the show.
Old 29-12-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

TG did win top TV show of the decade.

You must also remember that its a difficult hour to fill. How many new cars that are interesting are released each year???

Ferrari, Lambo etc dont release a new car every month so its difficult to fill the time.

I think some people see Top Gear as a TV show that reviews the worlds best cars going oo this new ferrari has 750 BHP and will do 212 MPH etc. I dont see it as this i see it as a motoring show. Motoring is the thrills and spills of driving. Who says driving a ferrari 430 is more enjoyable than driving a ford Ka it doesnt matter what your dirving aslong as you enjoy it. Top gear is about the love of driving.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 29-12-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
could not agree more...30+, channels F all on and so so many repeats.

As for eastenders,cori family fortunes etc,who the hell watches that drivel! population must be brain dead

Rant
Appreciate that this will be filed by most of you under "silly old fart..."

This is what people told Thatcher when she sold off the airwaves, and granted rights to satellite TV - that, to paraphrase Pink Floyd, "I've got a hundred channels of shit on the TV to choose from." Competition, she said, would improve the choice for the customer. That proved to be pants, as she was warned.

Now, Cameron has his sights on the BBC, where he wants to slash the license fee, or give some of it away to Channel 4 and 5. If they get back to power, expect Top Gear to be one of the first programmes to hit the buffers. TG is expensive and elitist, whereas EastEnders is cheap and populist.

Whatever you do, get out and vote at the next election, and if you want TG, don't vote Tory. Other than that, it doesn't matter. I might not like the programme any more, but I defend the right of others to watch it, and my right to pay for that. After all, has your Sky subscription provided anything even vaguely as good produced here at home for your entertainment? You have been warned...