Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 25-04-2016

Default EX-1 or M12s - Advice Needed

I am planning to 'upgrade' my DX3r Pro radio for no other reason than I need a change.

The two contenders are Ko Propo EX-1 or Sanwa M12s. I am only running 1/10 TC and in terms of performance wont notice any significant difference in terms of response speed (im not that good)

But what I would like to know is if there are any major set-up options lacking in one or the other that one must have for Touring?

Also if you have any opinion on either based on you experience (good or bad) let me know.
Old 25-04-2016
Mad Member

this might not sound helpful as I am going to start by saying I've not used either...
But I've had Sanwa Exzes Z which was great (although I decided not to stick with sticks) so now use an MT4 which is also brilliant.

Menus easy to use, set up has lots of variables. response is quick and I've never had any issue with signal loss etc

If M12s is even better, I can't see what they could improve!!

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 25-04-2016

Personally I've tried both of the above units. Both to me feel unbalanced in the hand. I much prefer the Futaba steer wheels i love the balance, but also fact you can tension the springs really tight. My advice would be to go to a shop that has a few in stock and try them all in the hand. make sure they have the battery pack in though as this can effect the weight balance quite a bit. they all have very similar feature sets so the only real thing that sets them apart is ergonomics.
Reedy
DJ KIRKY
Old 25-04-2016

I've ran m11x , mt4 and now mt4s since leaving spectrum behind all have been brilliant I can't imagine the gain to be had over the 4s being noticeable for all that extra coin on a m12s
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 25-04-2016
Mad Member

I think both will give you plenty of setup options. In fact, from the EX-1 I can say it has an incredible amount of features, more than you'll likely ever need.

I recently was looking around for a new TX as well and really liked the KO Propo controllers: the feel oozes high quality, it makes the competition feel like toy grade controllers! However, I did find the EX-1 somewhat top-heavy - something many high-end transmitters suffer from by the way!

Luckily KO Propo offers an alternative for that, the EX-2. After trying several controllers, I opted for this unit:

It has the same response times as the EX-1, the same KIY modular construction, it's more compact, weighs less and has the weight lower down. At the same time, I find it still offers an impressive array of setup features and adjustability for your preference and comfort.

Price-wise, both the EX-1 and EX-2 are cheaper than a comparable controller from Sanwa, their top end receiver is cheaper than the Sanwa units and they also offer receivers down to a much lower price range, for the budget-conscient hobbyist.

As you might hear, I'm pretty enthousiastic about it... Admittedly a lot is down to personal preference and feel, but if you are taking your time I would definitely recommend to find people with an EX-1 and EX-2 and try them out

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 25-04-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 25-04-2016

Thank you all, its been very useful to get your opinions and experiences across.
I must admit I'm leaning towards Ko Propo more, especially when the question of quality comes in. Also the cost of RX - which is ridiculously expensive across the top brands.

If any one knows a hobby shop that has both or specially the ko propo transmitters I could try out do let me know.

Many thanks again...
Old 25-04-2016
Mad Member

I don't know a hobby store for them (in the UK); however I can recommend asking around at the trackside. If you can track down an owner they can tell you a lot of in-depth info on the long-term use of them, and you get an impression of what they're like after they've been used for a while

Old 25-04-2016

Default Receivers

If cost of receivers is a factor then perhaps consider Futaba ... Futaba sell s-fhss receivers for approx £22 which are compatable with their top of line transmitters ... Just a thought :-)

http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153192

Feedback ebay:
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...=szymanski2oo1

Linkedin:
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanszymanski

Old 26-04-2016
Mad Member

True... however, I do want to note that coming from Futaba, the receivers (the ones I know to be available anyway) are considerably larger than the other big brands. It usually took some creativity (and a Dremel in the chassis) to make everything fit. To give you an idea of the difference:

Futaba R603FS

I have seen flatter receivers from Futaba, but not with a much smaller footprint. The FF210 buggy was built to accomodate large electronics (from personal experience I know the hassle of small electronics bays), and even here you can see it's not a breeze. Usually I had to mount it on its side to make it work.

KO Propo KR-413FH

Note that the KO receiver you see here is the top-end unit: The more affordable units have a slightly larger footprint but are still more compact. The EX-1 comes with this top-end receiver, the EX-2 comes with the more affordable KR-241FH receiver but is compatible with the top-end receiver as well. Also a nice detail are the plugs that you can use to seal off the receiver slots you don't use: It keeps dirt and dust from getting in your RX that can cause interference issues over time (when it accumulates).

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 26-04-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 27-04-2016

By sheer stroke of fortune I have managed to sample the EX-1, EX-2 and MT-s. Firstly I must say all 3 seemed much better than my DX3r pro, especially the trigger, but I was mighty impressed by the ko propo quality.

The EX-1 didn't have the 3D extension but felt nice in the hand and not as heavy as i first though. Although I liked the EX-2 and its lightness, I must admit I didnt like the english/japanese (or chinese) menu. Not sure there is a software upgrade to only have english in the menu system?

I had previously tested the M12 and felt the balance was ok but build quality was poor for that price range.

I have therefor taken the plunge and ordered a EX-1 (found a nice offer online). Will keep everyone posted with pictures once I have it. Will order the 3D drop down and need to order a extra RX for VRC Pro - would the KR211 do?

Update: you'll be the first to know if this was a massive regret

Last edited by BNT; 27-04-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old 27-04-2016
Mad Member

The EX-2 menu can be changed to just English, I did mine about 4 weeks ago using the KO ICS-USB HS adaptor.
Old 28-04-2016
Mad Member

Ditto, there is a software update for the EX-2 and that one is English only. Not relevant if you bought the EX-1 - congrats by the way on your investment - but perhaps for other people looking at the EX-2

As for the receiver, the KR-413FH has the best signal strength, processing speed and thus, best response time. I don't know the performance benefits over the other receivers in numbers, so I can't comment on the difference you'll experience.

Old 28-04-2016

Thanks, I'm awaiting delivery atm.
The micro receivers look tiny - although me coming from spektrum which generally have small receivers might not be a huge difference.

I believe the kr-413 receiver can operate at 2.8ms compared to sanwas fastest at 2.5ms. Not sure if I'll be noticing any difference coming from 11ms now down to 5.5ms.

One other question I do have is if any rechargeable AAA NiMH 750mAh battery will do for the EX-1?

To clarify, the EX-1 manual states "Do not install Ni-Cd or Ni-MH batteries in the battery box. (These may cause the battery connectors to corrode.".

Not sure if there are other options without heading towards Lipo.
Old 28-04-2016
Mad Member

I'm also not exactly sure why that comment is in there. What I do know is that the 4 AAA batteries (the cheapest I could find) have now lasted the equivalent of about 2 race meetings in my EX-2 and still going at 5.1-5.2v. The EX-1 is more energy efficient according to the spec sheets, so you should be good there

In addition, the EX-2 has an inactivity timer to prevent draining the battery; it's fixed at 3 minutes for the EX-2; the EX-1 also features it, although it might actually be adjustable.

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 28-04-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 28-04-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

It's easy, NiMH and nicads vent and give off gas, which can corrode.

I bought the battery holder for my kiy ex1 and fitted a life reciever pack, (radio menu alows you to select battery type) makes it more balanced to hold and lasts about 3 months between charges.
Old 30-04-2016

Here it is.

The RX is tiiiiny!

It feels amazing in the hand. I have added 10g to the base and might add more when I receive the 3D drop down.

On a worrying note - parcelforce managed to 'lose' the package, then came home on Fri to see it outside the neighbors door and signed for by the delivery driver (my neighbor didnt come home until late evening). Will be having a word with them on Tuesday as I dont like to other people sign on my behalf. Borderline forgery in my opinion.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]