Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 31-10-2013

Default Difference between electronic brands?

Ok so what is the difference between say a Speed Passion 6.5t motor and a LRP 6.5t motor?

The price is double for the same turn motor so what are the benefits of spending the extra cash?

Would it be quicker or is it just build quality and reliability or is there no difference?

Same applies to lipo batteries to??

Im trying to work out if its best to buy brand new cheaper gear or spend the same amount of money on second hand higher end branded gear

Cheers guys

Last edited by alanwheeldon; 31-10-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added text
Old 31-10-2013
Mad Member

I've heard rumours of the LRP motors having weak threads on the motor mount holes, and seen one close up too. Not the quality I'd expect for that amount of dough.

I think it's not a given nowadays that some brands are better than others the more money you pay. I had a Novak GTB 5.5 combo some time ago, It was replaced with a hobbywing v2.1 esc and a 6.5 Exceed motor, and it's quicker. Could be the motor, could be the esc. I have a Leopard motor in my LSTe, not a big name brand like Castle or Tekin, but again, no problems and the last Castle motor I had, the rotor fell apart while running and blew the MMM esc at the same time.

Cells, In my humble opinion, Unless you're sponsored, and are giving the likes of Messrs Martin, Cragg, Bloomfield et al a run for their money all over the country etc, don't bother. Y'know what, the turnigy nanotech cells are good value for money, I use them in my helis and cars, and I've not one issue yet. Considering they are between £20-£30 a pack, not to be sniffed at.

For the record, I'm an average nobody club racer, and firmly believe, If you can set a car up perfectly, can tell the capacity left in your cells by weighing them in your hand, hold a line every lap, never crash, and flat chat a 6.5 at the same time and knock out record lap counts in every heat, you're not gonna care.

Hope to have been of some help.
SWorkz S12-2

Instagram: crazylthirteen
Blogger: http://the-croucher.blogspot.co.uk/
Old 31-10-2013

You can get good cheap motors and bad ones. I run a HPI Flux motor then won an Orion in a raffle at Worksop and performance wise there's nothing so in my opinion the extra £30 isn't justifiable.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 31-10-2013

I pretty much agree with the others, but I would point out if you intend to race any sanctioned events make sure you get BRCA legal kit. For instance the Turnigy Lipos are not approved by the BRCA so you can't run them at BRCA sanctioned events, Gens Ace cells are about the same price as Turnigy and are approved, I run Vapextech cells and they've been as good as anything out there.

I think some of the difference between so called budget brands and more expensive ones is the back up more than anything, and even then I have heard of premium brands giving shocking after sales care. I run Viper speedos and ok more expensive than some but cheaper than a HW V3.1 and also comes with a years guarantee, and there's not much better than that.
Old 31-10-2013

Go by the feel of gut.
What feels right will probably work right.
Old 31-10-2013

Red face

I have hobbywing esc's of all guises in everything, micro buggy, 4x4SC, 2 TC's and a Mardave, can't fault them and not the latest some even used.
Motors Losi, Speed Passion, GM, LRP, Hobbywing and to be honest the speed passion are preferred due to the plug connections. Performance difference debatable,
Cells I have a couple of old Intellect BRCA packs but use Nano techs at club meets, and Gens Ace for the Micro,
Conclusion, there are good and bad but bad might not be noticeable and good unaffordable, go with reviews
Old 01-11-2013

Ok guys that quite helpfull, gives me a bit more to look at now
Old 01-11-2013

Arrow

Id say you can get away with not having mega gear in this class more than any other