Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Gloucester Electric Racing Car Club

Old 07-04-2013

Default Help

I just bought a new savox1251 servo for my supastox can anyone give advice or tips on how to fit the new servo and what is the best procedure thanks
Old 07-04-2013

What do you mean? Are you having issues fitting it are you? And if so, what are they and we can try to help
Old 08-04-2013

No I'm not having trouble fitting the new servo, it's the first attempt at changing a servo so I'm not sure how to change servos and what the issues could be with lining up the new one and what is the best way forward ie connect the steering arms first then line the servo up on the chassi or visa versa, not sure what the best procedure is
Old 08-04-2013

Ok, I'll try to put the way that I do it in an easy to understand way!
  • Completely remove old servo from the car.
  • Fix new servo into car. I used the standard fixings on mine, without any of the spacers. Try to make sure that the spline of the servo is central (left and right). I think that it is easiest to check this by looking through the hole in the bottom of the chassis.
  • Connect up the servo to the receiver, and connect all of the electrics.
  • On your transmitter, central the trim on the steering and turn it on.
  • Turn the car on, and the servo will turn to its central position.
  • Just make sure that it works at this stage!
  • Now I personally do the next bit with the electrics still on, however make sure you don't force the servo to turn too hard and damage it:
  • Put the servo saver onto the spline so that it is as up right as possible. This will make sure that it turns the same way left and right as close as possible.
  • Screw this on when it is considered to be central.
  • It can all be turned off now, but try to keep it central.
  • Attach the steering arms, and adjust the lengths of these to make the wheels point straight. If all is done correctly (ie, servo central, saver upright etc), these should be a very equal length.
  • When all done, turn it all on and ensure that the wheels still point straight. Adjust if necessary through the steering arms, only adjusting the trim on the handset if the servo saver is not straight at this stage.
  • Turn full lock and check that it turns the same direction each way (I check this by comparing the 'inside' wheel to how far it is from the 'bump stop' on the top front suspension brace.
  • Check that it goes in a straight line, adjusting the trim on the handset slightly if needed, but if it is a long way off it is likely that the servo saver was not upright, or steering arms are not correctly adjusted.
I hope that helps. Sorry if it is a bit waffly! If you get most of it done, and need help fine tuning, I don't mind helping on Friday (I presume you come to the club - sorry I can't quite figure out who you are!!!!!!).

Cheers, Chris
Old 09-04-2013

Default Thanks

Thanks chris,seems straightforward enough ,your ideas are nicely and chronologicly set out I will give it ago I'm feeling a lot more confidant about changeling the servo now, and by the way my name is John it's my son Harvey who races on Friday nights, I'm chief machanic and pit crew (ha ha) my son has the car with the blue Aston Martin body sell,I'll see you on Friday and let u know how I get on,thanks for your advice and quick response cheers.
Old 09-04-2013

Ah yes I know! Cool beans, just say if you have any more questions!