Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Broxtowe Model Car Club

Old 31-01-2012

Default Snowman Series Round 5....Report and Video!!

This Sunday gone saw Round 5 of Broxtowe’s popular Snowman Series come back to town, and as always they didn’t fail to disappoint…well, not me anyway!!

Making the short drive up to Eastwood it was good to see some clear skies up above with what appeared to be a big yellow thing shining down, though it didn’t emit as much heat as would have been desired…you just can’t please some people eh! Upon arrival at Halls Park, and after a brief wait for the arrival of the club chairman, who for the record, didn’t smell of beer, we started pulling out the hoses for the said club chairman, who had assumed track building responsibilities for the day. The poor track was certainly feeling the cold, left covered by a layer of frost from overnight…on the plus the side though, probably also as a result of the cold weather, the track had not been vandalised by the local plebs.

Even Andy was surprised Danny wasnt drunk....

As I stood around trying to be helpful, or at least look busy, I was glad to see Dan had omitted the infamous triple jump from the layout in favour of a more technical approach, where you would jump the first two humps, and because the track didn’t go straight ahead, then take the third and final hump at an angle towards the right hand side table top in front of the rostrum. After a tricky 180-ish degree turn on the table top you accelerated down the slope and into a long left sweeping corner around the mound which culminated in a hairpin to take you back up the mound, right, and then up towards the left hand table top. The loop had been, like on most club meetings, situated to the left side of the track. Immediately after going over the loop was a hairpin which then took you down the drop-off, onto a short straight section and into a rewarding double apex left hand turn. This was followed by a slow right hand hairpin and then a quick left-right (careful over the ripples!) which took you back onto the straight and towards the bank corner which precedes the triple.

With practice underway it appeared that the thick frost was actually helping in terms of traction, and it appeared that everyone was enjoying the track. It was later in the day, Round two I think, when the frost had melted, that grip was found wanting. Thankfully by rounds three and four the weather was still being kind and the track dried up, resulting in all the fastest times of the day being posted in these two rounds. There were four classes being run, 2wd, 4wd, Stadium Trucks and Short Course Trucks, and with over sixty drivers present it promised to be a good days racing.

Round One started off with the Stadium trucks and it was Mark Lapper who got off to the best start, taking the round win, being followed home by Jon Murphy and Neil Saunders to make up the top three. In the Short Course class it was everybody’s favourite not so young looking chap, John Brook, who took the fight to the rest of the field. He was chased by Mr Durango AKA Adam Skelding, in second, Simon Smith third and Aaron Birkin to complete the top four. Next up was 2wd, and West Midlands visitor Paul Robinson went fastest with his Durango DEX210. I had managed to recover from an earlier error to take 2nd and it was Chris Bowater, and Adam who made up round ones top four. 4wd would turn out to be an interesting battle throughout the day with Toby Stephenson, Andy Hicklin and Mr Shock Oil himself, Richard Yeo, battling it out for the top three. Round One though went to Toby, with Andy and Aaron settling for 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Round Two was the round in which I thought the grip levels had dropped. Still, it made for some interesting racing and required the drivers to be extra careful on certain sections of the track, most notably the few corners leading up-to, and onto, the main straight. Mark Lapper was again showing everyone the way round in Stadium Trucks and it was the same again for second and third places. The only change was for fourth and fifth with Phil Sheepy this time getting the better of Eric Wilcock in a reverse of the first round. The SCT class, as always, appeared to be a bit of a lottery, but this time it was Adam taking the win from Simon, John and Mr Ward Jnr. Further down, Kerri Thomas looked the best of the ‘Bottom half battle’, looking consistent with another 6th in round. 2wd saw a reverse of the first round with yours truly taking the round win ahead of Paul, Adam, Chris and Simon. James Ambrose and Jon Murphy both put solid runs together and managed to take 6th and 7th in round. The battle in 4wd continued to intensify in round two. With all three cars together on the track it would be mistakes that would determine the outcome. In the end it was Richard who took the single point and then Andy and Toby.

My targets...the formidable Team Durango!

Going into Round Three it was clear the track was drying up and that grip levels were returning. This suited Mark just fine who again took the round win, and pole position for the Stadium Truck final. This time, Neil got the better of Jon to take 2nd place and Eric came back strong to take another 4th in round ahead of his rival Phil. In the inevitable chaos of the ‘SCT’ race it was Aaron Birkin who came out on top ahead of John in second and Kerri third, leaving the final round to decide who would have the grid advantage. Round three was my favourite round, taking ten seconds off my previous best time and with it a single point and one wheel on pole position! Andy Wesson came through on the stagger to take a handy 2nd place with Adam in 3rd. Kit Jones and Richard Yeo were also enjoying the grippier conditions, taking 4th and 5th in round which would also aid their own challenges to make the A Final. In 4wd it was another good contest, with Andy finally, after two 2nd places, taking the round win ahead of Toby. Richard had problems with his Slipper Clutch which allowed Gary Hallsworth through to take a good 3rd place. In another ‘Bottom half battle’ Aaron was leading the pack ahead of Daniel Town, Simon Cox and Ellan Hicklin.

Future Champ...and his dog...

With Mark Lapper having already guaranteed pole position in the Stadium Trucks it seems he may have been caught off guard in the final round to let Neil Saunders, who steadily improved throughout the day, come through to take the win and with it 2nd place on the grid. It was the battle for 4th that was heating up though. From what I can only deduce, Eric and Phil must have got identical times as they both received a 5th in round. Because of the deadlock it meant that Eric would take 4th place as he had 8 points compared to Phil’s 9. In ‘SCT’s’ it was my main man John who took the honours, with Adam 2nd, Simon 3rd and Aaron 4th…Meaning that the top four would line up in that order but with Aaron in 3rd and Simon 4th. TQ was also still up for grabs in 2wd and with the track now even faster Paul Robinson passed me both on the stagger and on track, meaning that if he could keep it clean he would take the round win and with it most likely a number one car sticker for the final. Unfortunately....fortunately from where I was standing of course…he got caught up on a hose which allowed me to come through to take another point. Adam confirmed his 3rd place and Simon Smith put in his best run of the day to qualify 5th, just behind Chris Bowater. The final round of 4wd could have been won by any one of Toby, Andy, and Richard. With all three being inconsistent it was difficult to say who would come out on top. After a hectic race where the lead continually changed hands it was Toby who held it together to cement his pole position. He was chased hard by Richard and Andy and although the former followed Toby home in the race he was beat to 2nd overall by the in form Andy Hicklin.

Some familiar faces popped over to watch the finals...

Going into the finals it looked on paper as if we could expect some good race’s. Unfortunately, I was doing one of my other favourite things, eating, and I missed most of the finals so it is difficult to give a view on how things transpired, but ill give it a go!

Stadium Trucks

In the Stadium Trucks Neil Saunders had clicked into gear, following up his final round win to overturn Marks dominance and take overall victory. Jon Murphy retired after eight laps (having taken the fastest lap of the race!) meaning that Eric came through to take 3rd. It seems that losing the battle for 4th with Eric was too much for Phil to take and did not take part in the final…next time Phil….NEXT TIME!!

Short Course Trucks

Its fair to say that in the ‘SCT’ final Adam opened up a whole can of Durango whoop-ass...he comfortably took the win ahead of John in second, and Ian Ward two seconds behind in third.

2wd D Final

Phil Sheepy, having withdrawn from the Stadium Truck class, dominated this final, coming home ahead of second placed Mark Brownsword by 21 seconds! Third place honours belonged to Dave Crump who confidently held his qualifying position.

2wd C Final

Ken Rieth, with not such a collectable car this time out, qualified 1st and finished 10 seconds ahead of 2nd place to take the win. It was in fact for 2nd place where the real battle was being fought. It must have been good viewing as Kevin Weaver beat Eric Wilcock to the line by only 400ths of a second!

2wd B Final

The unfortunate man of the day, BQ man Andy Webb could not make amends for missing out on the A Final and looks as if he had a usual B Final start to the race and dropped quickly down the field, eventually finishing in 6th. This did allow however for a good battle between Anthony Potter and Wes Jolly. Anthony got off to a good start but Wes was soon catching him up and a mistake by Anthony let Wes through to take the lead. What happened next all drivers can sympathize with. Going up towards the right hand table top a group of cars crashed in front of him and Wes had no-where to go…but into them. This allowed not only Anthony to come through and take the victory but also for James Barker to come through and finish one better than his qualifying position in 2nd, leaving Wes having to settle for 3rd.

2wd A Final

Having got pole position I had a good advantage of being able to line up my car almost dead ahead of the triple and by time I had negotiated the first few corners I had a small gap which meant I could relax a little and concentrate on driving cleanly. Paul had a torrid 32 second first lap which meant it was left to Adam and Chris to fight it out for 2nd place. From what I could gather Adam was second for a long time before a mistake let the fast DEX210 of Chris’s come through to take 2nd place, 3 seconds behind me and 4 seconds in front of Adam. Kit Jones carried his good form from the last two rounds of qualifying into the final and fought up from 6th to finish 4th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjbDBDbMQ0k

4wd A Final

It was a shame for the spectators that the ongoing battle between Toby, Andy, and Richard did not materialise into a memorable final. Andy didn’t make the start line…or broke on the first lap, and Richard only got to lap 6 before an error on the second table top broke his servo saver which forced him to retire. From then on Toby had it all his own way to claim another win in the series. The performance of the final however must go to young Daniel Town, who making the most of his competitor’s retirements pulled his way up from 6th on the grid to take an impressive 2nd place…and some welcome points! Daniel came in 2 seconds ahead of Gary Hallsworth who finished 3rd.

Ive got to make the most of my one win a year!

Before I give my fingers a rest some praise must be bestowed upon BMCC and the people who run it. Every meeting they put on runs like clockwork and are always enjoyable to attend. They cater for all classes and abilities and are always trying to improve what they do. If anyone who has not attended a round of Broxtowe’s Snowman Series yet, and has been bothered to read through all my garble, then come down…or up…and enjoy a great days racing, remember…the F2’s are here this year!

Thanks Broxtowe…Roll on the next round…Feb 12th!
Old 31-01-2012
Mad Member

Awsomeness! Top job Mellish
Old 31-01-2012

Top job Mr Mellish, great report Broxtowe rules lol . And about time you won one .Swagggger !
Old 31-01-2012

Send a message via MSN to johnni boi

Boom! awesome job! Team vega for the win!
Old 31-01-2012

Quality Ian and thanks for the lend of the ballastic greens .

Jolly Goodz.
WBMCC.
Team Autocare and Cycles.
Old 31-01-2012

Yeah, nice one Ian! and thanks for doing my rear shocks

www.wbmcc.com
Old 01-02-2012

No worries guys...glad we could help out

Chris, i dont know if it was just the cold weather but my rear shocks felt exactly the same as yours....i think ill be going softer on the rear next time, having watched the the video i think my rear end was too stiff! More stuff to try

Thankyou everyone for the kind comments!
Old 01-02-2012
Mad Member

Is rich wearing one of these and the moustache has fallen off?

Nice report Iain. Fancy doing the regional reports for Me-or?

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 02-02-2012

haha very good Rob. It was very cold on Sunday though so I took it off and doubled it up as a draft excluder down below!
Old 04-02-2012

Rob...that was my plan so yes please
Old 08-02-2012

Well done Mellish great report!!! How did you remeber all that??? (next time just make out I won i'm sure Toby and Andy arn't reading this LOL!