Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 22-12-2014

Default Ripmax Coyote

I had a Coyote arrive on Saturday, I really love the styling of this one. The Husky and Jackal really didn't do it for me, but the Coyote sort of has a desert racer look about it, despite them calling it a truggy.
I wasn't really looking for a 1/18th scale but at less than £60 posted I couldn't resist ordering this great looking car.
First impressions out of the box was good, it looked as good as it did in the pictures I'd seen, but the biggest question was how does it go. After a couple of hours trying to charge the battery with the supplied charger I gave up and used a quick charger and soon had it running thereafter.
Immediately I found out the first problem, lack of steering. All the camber and steering linkages are made of very, very flexible plastic, which bend when you're trying to steer it. A quick raid of my spares box and I find some old mardave 1/12th links that fit perfectly and increase steering 100%.
While i was working on it I changed the shock oil, not because there was anything wrong, but because I had no idea what was in there. To begin with I put 20wt in but have since changed it to 15wt.
The second issue I had with it was that the front axles aren't very true, now whether they came like that or if I bent them running into the settee i don't know, but they shouldn't be that easy to bend.
All in all I'm pleased with it for the money I paid, I RTR car delivered for £59 is pretty good. Whether it will be just a basher or if it can actually be raced remains to be seen.
Watch this space