Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Batley Buggy Club

Old 17-02-2016

Default MB Models race track

As there are only two more indoor meetings due to Whitcliffe being booked up, is this an opportunity to try out the MB Models track that we propose to use in future.? Assuming it is now ready. It would be a great chance to see if it works and if the club members wish to move there before we give up all the clubs equipment that is at Whitcliffe. If it doesn't work that could give us time to look for an alternative before Whitcliffe closes for good.
Views / comments..?
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 17-02-2016
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aire valley View Post
As there are only two more indoor meetings due to Whitcliffe being booked up, is this an opportunity to try out the MB Models track that we propose to use in future.? Assuming it is now ready. It would be a great chance to see if it works and if the club members wish to move there before we give up all the clubs equipment that is at Whitcliffe. If it doesn't work that could give us time to look for an alternative before Whitcliffe closes for good.
Views / comments..?
Hi Alan,
The MB on road track is complete and up and running. Accommodation of off road cars will be by means of overlaying a second (protective) carpet and the addition of some man made jumps. This phase as far as I'm aware is not yet ready.
There isn't any "proposal" to base the club at MB, this was discussed at length, voted on and decided by the majority at the AGM, therefore it is what the club members have decided will happen..
Old 17-02-2016

John....Still seems like it is a good opportunity to test it out before all the clubs boats are burned ! There were a few dissenters. Bit like the EU in/out..😄
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 17-02-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Alan, the club membership at the agm has voted and made a commitment to Michael that we will move there for next indoor season. it's a done deal and will be fantastic for the club, given the quality of the facility as it stands now, with its first GT12 national meeting just completed. Michael has not yet fully invested in the track surface for off-road, or the track markings and jumps. He has plenty of time to get this before we want to use it. I'd suggest you drop into the track at either one of the forth coming weekday evening on road club nights, or a larger on-road national meeting to see the facility, and see for yourself what a great location it will make for our off-road meetings. no rushing to get the meeting done in the time limit, track laid out for us, no setting up pit tables, it's all there, clean toilets, cafe, shop.

The coming end of the indoor season gives us, as a club, opportunity to focus on preparing the outdoor track for a decent summer season.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 17-02-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 18-02-2016

Good points Neal.... I will do as you say and call in over the next couple of weeks..
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 18-02-2016
Admin

Alan, I do not disagree ,this is a big step for the club with quite a bit of risk attached. I personally share the nervousness that you do regarding the situation. However, decisions come from the membership and the majority decision from the members was to take the step. As a club we have to go along with the wishes of the membership majority even if we personally either aren't sure or even disagree.
I have seen the venue in person since completion and can confirm it is of an excellent standard. If the off road adaptation is even 75% as good as what is there now we will as a club be very lucky to have use of such a venue. Above and beyond that we could indefinitely speculate what may or may not happen.....
Old 18-02-2016
Mad Member

As I was not at the AGM, and have not been able to attend much of the past 12m indoor or out, I will stick my two penneth in for nothing more than an opinion, I obviously respect all decisions made by members in the correct way...

I think MB track sounds great and the facilities superb. I think that racing there will be a level above anything that I have done before and the convenience of lack of time pressure, set up, floor sweeping (thank you Neal) etc make it sound perfect.

But (there is always a "but")

For me, part of the attraction when I was young and also now was that I was only 5-10 mins from the Batley tracks, be it Spen, Hare and Hounds, Batley or Whitcliffe - although I acknowledge not everyone is so locally based. Though traveling to Oulton is not a big deal (I travel 50mins to Cully, and also 75mins to Manor) they are less frequent as I have to plan for more time away. Batley offered me the chance to sometimes come and just do 2-3 rounds, or arrive late /leave early (though making sure that I don't do both so I can help set up/ clear down, depending) if I had a family commitment to work around
I did one round at Oldham last year which is also only 35 mins but it feels more formal rather than fun (and I suppose it is, when I think about it )

On balance, I think the benefits outweigh the extra travel as it will only be 20-25 mins each way, and set up time is always greater than that.

I could have saved lots of typing time here couldn't I �� By just saying "great plan"
Looking forward to it

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...

Last edited by Ashlandchris; 18-02-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 18-02-2016

It is a bit of a shame that we are having to move away from our historic home area but I believe the benefits far outweigh the negatives as the MB facility is superb and we have been very lucky to be offered the use of it.

My main concern is that we will not be the masters of our own destiny. If MB decides to pull the plug, for what ever reason, then we will be stuffed (a bit like now, with Whitcliffe closing) but until that happens (hopefully it never will) lets just make the most of what we've been offered as I think we will have one of the best facilities in the country.

Exciting times ahead for Batley Buggy Club....

Chris
Old 18-02-2016

Having been in the buggy game for over 30 years I have seen many things..
Various clubs in the area have come and gone. I was heavily involved in the rise of Aire Valley club ( but fortunately not its ultimate demise ).
We faced a similar decision (but about the outdoor track ) in the late eighties.
We had to move from Yarnbury Rugby club and we're looking at options for venues to ultimately build a dirt track. We had several meetings with a local , Otley, business man who ran a number of leisure activities including an off road go-cart track. He offered to build us a track on his land and rent it back to us.
After much discussion, we decided to remain under our own control, rented the Apperley Bridge land from Bradford Council and subsequently became one of the most successful clubs, even bidding to hold the 1993 World Championships.
Well before then, the Otley business man had gone out of business..!!
I have a great affection for Batley club having raced there from the Hare and Hounds/ Batley sports centre days and always , lately, been grateful that the club has continued... One of Batleys main strengths, I believe, is that it has always been in the same area and, indeed, at only a couple of venues both indoor and out for 35 years or so.
I just worry...
I am sure that the MB track will be excellent and a whole new experience..its just that, for quite a lot of us, it will be some extra distance to travel...and no longer Batley..!
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 18-02-2016

I know what you mean about distances. For me it's a 65 mile round trip and a minimum of 1 hour traveling either way (according to my iPhone). I think the track will be worth the drive though.

A lot of the indoor track gear is passed its best now. I'm sure we'll be keeping the good stuff just in case it's needed in the future and don't forget we will still be racing outside through summer.

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC