Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 13-07-2014

Default Optima Mid Transmission Reliability

The rear transmission gears seem to be a weak spot of the Optima Mid. Most cars I got second hand came with either a worn out diff gear, and center gear, or came with an extra new unused front diff housing, showing that the rear diff had already been replaced.

What is the best way to prevent this? Is the Thorp center gear much better than the stock one, and will this make the diff gear last much longer? And how about a belt conversion? So replacing the metal gear on the spur gear shaft by a pulley, that fits over the metal pin that goes through that shaft. And replace the gear half of the diff with one that fits a drive belt. It seems that only 3 custom parts would be needed, the pulley to replace the metal gear on the spur shaft, a short belt (maybe the one from the Lazer ZX-R might fit) and the new diff half to replace the gear half.

Has this already been attempted? Are there better options?
Old 13-07-2014

Not seen it but I do remember a guy years ago at our club converted a Rocky from chain to belt
Old 13-07-2014

Chain to belt is not what I had in mind. The Optima Mid already has a drive belt to transfer power to the front wheels. I am referring to the internal gears in the rear gear box of the Optima Mid. These seem to wear pretty fast, so a solution is welcome.
Old 13-07-2014

Sorry I misunderstood your post

Im not 100% au fait with the car in question, but it certainly seems feasable from what you describe
Old 13-07-2014

Maybe you can ask Rama (Alcyon) and the other guys in this thread ==> http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=optima

1/10 Kyosho Lazer ZX
1/10 Kyosho Optima Mid Custom
Old 14-07-2014

I have been considering the same thing for the Mid
It would probably be easier to adapt a Lazer transmission
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 14-07-2014

All the mids I have seen that chewed up the rear gears were due to debris getting into the "sealed" system. Since there isn't really a great way to seal it up and still be able to maintain it, one option is to get the debris deflected instead of allowing it to climb into the gears. Take a look at a Stinger rear gearbox, it has a shield that blocks and deflects the debris, and all they had was a silly cover on just the bottom. They didn't chew up gears and it was basically an open system
Old 14-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli4ke View Post
Maybe you can ask Rama (Alcyon) and the other guys in this thread ==> http://www.oople.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=optima
I posted in that thread, thanks for the suggestion.

It seems to be feasable, hardest part is probably creating a new diff half to replace the one with the gear teeth. But if succesful, I think it will put the Optima's maintenance needs on a much lower level.

Maybe a Lazer gear box can be made to work, but this approach will be less invasive, and should be a drop in replacement, with no changes on appearance.
Old 21-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optima4Ever View Post
I posted in that thread, thanks for the suggestion.

It seems to be feasable, hardest part is probably creating a new diff half to replace the one with the gear teeth. But if succesful, I think it will put the Optima's maintenance needs on a much lower level.

Maybe a Lazer gear box can be made to work, but this approach will be less invasive, and should be a drop in replacement, with no changes on appearance.
In the old days, I used to chew up a lot of center gears and diff gears. But these days, my center gears last a lot longer. The biggest difference is sealing the belt covers. When I was in my teens I would had missing parts of the belt covers, especially over the motor, and under the top deck. When people started making repro covers, I sealed everything properly and found that no dirt gets in. Of course it also helps that I used a low friction delrin center gear and a B4 layshaft that softens the blow to the gears.
Old 21-07-2014

So the delrin center gear (by Thorpe, or different source?) makes big difference, along with paying attention to getting things well sealed?
Old 21-07-2014

I was told BITD that the problem was rather a bad gearing mesh between the center gear and the differential. So maybe a slightly bigger diff gear would do the trick?

There were also belt conversion kits made in the late 80s... You should check RC10Talk.

Rusti Design - Awesome custom stickers and cool stuff

My trader feedback
Old 22-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optima4Ever View Post
So the delrin center gear (by Thorpe, or different source?) makes big difference, along with paying attention to getting things well sealed?
Yes the thorp one is good, but I have also made my own, but in black. Mine was installed last year and still holding up. Jopp3 is also using them. I also have a PEEK hard gear but a Taiwanese guy says it caused his gears to overheat and melt. I will test the PEEK gear myself soon when I finish rebuilding my SWB Mid.
Old 22-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayo View Post
I was told BITD that the problem was rather a bad gearing mesh between the center gear and the differential. So maybe a slightly bigger diff gear would do the trick?

There were also belt conversion kits made in the late 80s... You should check RC10Talk.
As far as I remember, no one made a twin belt optima mid. That belt drive conversion is the hyperdrive , which only replaces the spur and the pinion. Inside it was still 3 gears for driving the rear wheels.
Old 22-07-2014

Send a message via Skype™ to Miggers

Hmmm,my Optima Mid Custom never scoffed any gears,though I did
blueprint it when it was built with all such covers and seals carefully
made sure that they,well,covered and sealed.

It was thrashed pretty hard on dirt,tarmac and indoors with a range of
motors from a 27t stock down to a 12x4.