Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 08-11-2010
Mad Member

Default X6 - Front wheels binding at full lock

Hi guys

Noticed this at the weekend (only 2nd run out). When running regular width front wheels and with the camber link in position B, the wheel rubs on the ball cup to the extent that the wheel stop spinning. So far, I've countered this by reducing the steering throw on my radio but this doesn't seem the best answer as I'm decreasing my steering lock. It doesn't happen with narrow wheels (staggered ribs).

I have the axle height set low (washers at top) and running the "kit" trailing axles in the forward position.

Any thoughts/comments? Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010

Judging by the way it was going at Broxtowe yesterday it didn't appear to be slowing you down .

Jolly Goodz.
WBMCC.
Team Autocare and Cycles.
Old 08-11-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
Hi guys

Noticed this at the weekend (only 2nd run out). When running regular width front wheels and with the camber link in position B, the wheel rubs on the ball cup to the extent that the wheel stop spinning. So far, I've countered this by reducing the steering throw on my radio but this doesn't seem the best answer as I'm decreasing my steering lock. It doesn't happen with narrow wheels (staggered ribs).

I have the axle height set low (washers at top) and running the "kit" trailing axles in the forward position.

Any thoughts/comments? Thanks!
I have never had this? You have got thing in the right hole, I.e. the ball is on the ackermann link is in the kit position and on the steering arm? What about the spacer on the wishbone is that as kit?

I do remember that you used to move the wishbone spacer to suit which axle type you had, one was for trailing and one was for the inline axle. I also remember it was recommended to move the ball stud on the sterring arm if you changed the ackermann position.

I am sure you have got them in the right place Toby but you never know

Robert Jaques, Schumacher Racing KC, K2. Team Associated SC5M

"The Japanese Sniper"

Team Autocare & Cycles
Old 08-11-2010
Mad Member

Mine does this under full droop but not that bad that the wheel stops, it just rubs. There are two different heights of ball stud, black (short) and silver (Tall). Make sure you have the black ones on the C Hub .

Clown
Old 08-11-2010
Mad Member

Thanks for your input guys!

Having re-checked, everything is built correctly. I am using the Lunsford ballstuds and JC ballcups, as per the EC kit, and I believe that the ballstuds are all the same height throughout the kit... The Lunsford items do appear to stand off more than those on my old B4, when compared side by side.

FWIW, it's the outside wheel that's rubbing on the ballend. Maybe it's just the extremes of the suspension travel (as MRD suggests)? It seems less of an issue when the wishbone are parallel, for example.
Old 09-11-2010

I have some very small marks on my turnbuckles but that can only happen at full drop (which we run a lot off) and full lock and even then there is no way it is actually effecting the spinning of the wheel to the point it's going to cause any issue.

I actually think most of it has come from crashes when it all just flex's a little.

One thing to note as well is I never had this when I ran Losi ends as they are a little smaller in diameter.

But it's never really worried me. If you wanted to stop it you could fit a short neck ball joint.

E.
Old 09-11-2010
Mad Member

Thanks E!

Thinking about it a bit more, I think you are right; the effect of the "rubbing" will be quite minimal when the car is in motion.
Old 13-11-2010

Default x6

u could put spacers in the shocks to shorten shocks and reduce droop