Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > Northern Ireland

Old 15-09-2011

Default DIR Winter Championship

We are finalising plans for the DIR 2011/12 Winter Championship. There will probably be a few changes this time, including:
  • transponders used for lap timing
  • a new 4wd class
  • earlier finish time for juniors
  • hosting a round of the IOS - Irish Off-road Series
One other thing we are intersted in is a visitors class. This would be for guys who travel a long way (e.g. from Dublin, Fivemiletown area etc) who do travel from time to time but without really being able to take a full part in our club championship as it's just too far to go regularly. Registerered visitors would have their best 3 or 4 scores counted out of the 13 proposed rounds, as opposed to regular members counting best 10 of 13.

All comments & feedback welcome, further details to follow when all confirmed.
Old 16-09-2011

When does the championship start ed ?!
Old 16-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdesigns View Post
When does the championship start ed ?!
12th October if all goes according to plan
Old 16-09-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Sounds good - I'll have to class myself as a visitor, but with carpooling from the Fermanagh direction, could make a fair few meetings.

The 4wd class sounds good - I'm guessing we'll have a junior round, a 2wd and a 4wd heat at the least then, possibly more?

With the timing system in place, a set of speakers might help - I'll have a hunt in the boxes of bits I have, but I'm sure a set can be located!

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 16-09-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Great news Ed.
Especially like the idea of the "visitor" class - thats very thoughtful and should help out a few of the guys.

As Im probably only going to be able to make it to once a month regular, Im wondering how many rounds in total there will be, and how many we need to register.
eg. best 7 out of 11 or so?
Thats whats going to scupper me I think.
Old 16-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
Great news Ed.
Especially like the idea of the "visitor" class - thats very thoughtful and should help out a few of the guys.

As Im probably only going to be able to make it to once a month regular, Im wondering how many rounds in total there will be, and how many we need to register.
eg. best 7 out of 11 or so?
Thats whats going to scupper me I think.
Looking at best 10 out of 13 I think. Visitors best 3 of 13.
Old 16-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmo View Post

The 4wd class sounds good - I'm guessing we'll have a junior round, a 2wd and a 4wd heat at the least then, possibly more

!
That sounds about right.
Old 16-09-2011

10 out of 13 - ouch. Im only allowed to miss 3 then :/
Fair enough though.

I'll see what can be done!
Old 21-09-2011

For those planning on entering 4WD class, any thoughts on motor limits?

Maybe 6.5T with ESC timing advance allowed? (Prob looking at 10.5T with no ESC timing advance alllowed for 2WD).

Any comments still welcome, no hard and fast decisions made yet but coming soon!
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eda View Post

Maybe 6.5T with ESC timing advance allowed? (Prob looking at 10.5T with no ESC timing advance alllowed for 2WD).

Any comments still welcome, no hard and fast decisions made yet but coming soon!
Last time I ran a 5.5 SP V3.0 in the cat, was quick but manageable. Not sure why you would want a motor limit really. Individual ability usually dictates motor limit. This is why we run clubman classes in Dublin. Surely you have enough individuals to do the same for 2wd at least.
There really is no point limiting at 6.5 with timing advance allowed as that is very quick anyway in your hall. If you are going to limit then You should probably look at 8.5 being the limit.
Old 21-09-2011

My opinion is to Scrap the limit ed too much like hard work and confuses guys as to what can and can't be run. I think your idea of 2wd 4wd and junior class is just right for the hall and track.
Old 21-09-2011

I agree with Andy (ASdesigns) - as for me, the track itself limits what I can run.
I've turned up and ran a 5.5T with no timing, a 6.5T with timing, and now a 6.5T with no timing and geared down.
This is the best setup for me and the tight track I believe.

So if you want to set a limit, 6.5T with no timing is fine for me, but Im also happy to leave it open.

Cheers Ed.
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
My opinion is to Scrap the limit ed too much like hard work and confuses guys as to what can and can't be run. I think your idea of 2wd 4wd and junior class is just right for the hall and track.
+1 to this
Old 21-09-2011
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eda View Post

Ed,

The more you go into rules like this the more work there is for the club to manage it.

The split between modified and 10.5 is grand to police. As all if nearly all 10.5 motors are marked for easy identifying.

The Novak for example:

The 10.5 motors are blue, so quick to check in a car.

Anything below that 9.5 - 3.5

Have no clearly identifying marks. (See image above) The wind is written on the stator in marker.

The only way I know of to tech these is with an induction meter, and a chart of what reading a motor of a certain wind should give.

(Just using Novak as an example as that's what I run and know.)

Don't forget that if you don't get the numbers to split a class between modified and 10.5. Then you could run them together in qualifying, ie one heat of 4wd, the split them for the finals.

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 21-09-2011

Thanks for all the feedback - looks like my post got some comments going anyway!

If there are any other ideas which would improve our winter racing feel free to bring them up.
Old 21-09-2011
Mad Member

You would need to get some sort of proper rostrum sorted out I think Ed, as it is really hard to see your car at the beginning and end of the straight. The bench is fine for the kids but put 6 grown men on it and it does become a bit difficult.
Old 21-09-2011

Hi Mick long time no talk to. The bit about policing the issues isn't the motor as you say that's easy it's the timing of speedo's that becomes time consuming etc.

When I went to DIR to have a look around it was the relaxed atmosphere that I enjoyed and the fun and banter ( mmmmm remember when racing was fun ???? ) any way. So I feel Ed you hit nail on head by the way you started this thread keep it simple with just 3 classes. Seems driver skill plays a bigger part at this venue as a young man turned up with a Durango 4wd fitted with 10.5 and won the night.

Simple Fun Enjoyment
Old 21-09-2011

+1 to enjoyment!

Re: bench - dont forget as well that I have a big belly and little people to my right wont be able to see over the top of it!!
...but seriously, a new rostrum (or even a different located rostrum) would be welcome.
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0m3sy View Post
You would need to get some sort of proper rostrum sorted out I think Ed, as it is really hard to see your car at the beginning and end of the straight. The bench is fine for the kids but put 6 grown men on it and it does become a bit difficult.
Rostrum has been mentioned before to be fair. Needs to be not too wide though, hall is fairly narrow already. Will have a think about that one.
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
Hi Mick long time no talk to. The bit about policing the issues isn't the motor as you say that's easy it's the timing of speedo's that becomes time consuming etc.

When I went to DIR to have a look around it was the relaxed atmosphere that I enjoyed and the fun and banter ( mmmmm remember when racing was fun ???? ) any way. So I feel Ed you hit nail on head by the way you started this thread keep it simple with just 3 classes. Seems driver skill plays a bigger part at this venue as a young man turned up with a Durango 4wd fitted with 10.5 and won the night.

Simple Fun Enjoyment
The DIR Rule Book always was full of blank pages, looks like it might be staying that way!