Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 29-10-2012

Right

Some facts

My Laps is Imported into the UK by Rob Nelson of BBK.

He offered to come to the AGM and explain the new system to those club and section officials who wanted to learn about it.
A gap was put in the training seminar on Saturday for Rob to give his presentation and he was in the foyer at the AGM yesterday.
Those of you who've been to the AGM a few times will have seen Rob doing this every year I can remember.

By all accounts it was very interesting.

It will raise some questions for all of us, the clubs (my home clubs just bought an RC3 system too) and the sections as well

However the BRCA (which is us all really) arn't consulted on any of My Laps R&D we hear about it when you hear about it - as we are You - there is no IT..

There is No Commission paid, they don't even advertise with us, they are a supplier to the RC industry just like any other.

This change will cost us all a few quid at some point i'm sure but personally AMB/My laps equipmenty I've always found to be a good product so I'll stick with it.

There has been some discussion about the MRT compatability, but I can understand why My Laps wouldn't even consider it - it's not their product why would they?
I suppose this is the risk we take in purchasing a cheaper alternative - at some point somebody is going to move the goalposts.
Old 29-10-2012
Mad Member

having just read Jims reply

i feel i need to reply

the issue for me is the backwards compatabilty if RC4 does not work with older style ambs as MAY be the case i am disappointed in mylaps/amb
i personally have 4

As a club we upgraded a while ago at a large cost from AMB 20 (our handout ambs are limping along ) to AMB Rc if this too becomes obselete i shall be very unhappy

This is all dependant on backward compatabilty remember fact or fiction we do not know enough yet

the MRT issue is another subject entirely

as an organiser (club level) and BRCA member for almost 20 years i feel i have enough experience for an opinion
our club is a social type club and we have never really got involved in regional or national event in any discipline and i have utmost respect and praise for those like jim who toil endlessly on our behalf

Im not sure what the end result will be i think it would be a bitter pill for a lot of AMb owners if ours became reduntant

again its IF

Dave Fiddling
Old 29-10-2012

as always AMB is after a lot of money again .
the MRT transponders have in most cases never gave problems to them using it . I have 2 clones and 2 original first version transponders of AMB . and sorry but they gave interfierence and mist more laps than my clone MRT ones .
in case of the harry's , I was at the euro's in austria when they first ware introduced and the gave a lot of problems aspecialy in a durango car . and for the moment they still do . as one of ower club members had a lot of problems with missing laps wile he was driving his durango and we putted the transponder all over the car to get it salvd . once he got his kyjojo car (FS2) all problems stopt and it never workt bether . as in the case of the MRT being cheaper sorry the 10 euro's that it costs me les I dont give a rats ars about that . we spend tons of monny on ower cars so that small bit more for a PT couldend care me les . I aswel as a lot of others got the MRT to send a signal out to AMB . that they are crap and that they exploit there richt as the sole company that can sel a systhem like this . I drive moddel cars for the last 18 years and have seen AMB do this over and over again . if this meens that I cant race cars no more at big races or small wel than that will be it bud realy I am sic of amb fuccing all the fun up again . If it aint broken dont fix it . as there is more to this new systhem than wat we all now . it also will send data out of the car as that was there oridginal idee behind this new systhem . if it actualy will work that I have no idee . enny way aslong as we will only have one company that has a systhem like this we are scruwed and it will always stay expensif for clubs aswell as drivers
Rude-Bits
Serpent
Fba section offroad chairman.
Old 29-10-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I do agree why are people so surprised AMB don't want to support MRT.

Other industrys spend millions on working out ways we can only use genuine products...printer cartridges, car parts, just a couple that spring to mind.

TBH the best thing they did for their bank account years ago was stop supporting handouts and make us all buy PT's, when you have an idea like that, the last thing you want to make easy is someone like MRT to cash in on your product.

until another firm comes up with a product that works and is supported as well as the AMB system we will stay with it......But if someone does come up with that system lets hope it works with AMB transponders or all hell would break loose

thing I have to say I'm not 100% clear on is the my laps and AMB, is my laps the computer program and AMB the decoder and transponders? I always thought rob imported AMB into the uk, does him import my laps to or are they one and the same?

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

Last edited by racingdwarf; 29-10-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: fact
Old 29-10-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Spencer View Post
This post really takes the pi55

The BRCA has NOTHING What so ever to do with My Laps.
agree and i also know a couple of years back the BRCA were asked to look into reliable alternatives, result, there was nothing else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
I do agree why are people so surprised AMB don't want to support MRT.

Other industrys spend millions on working out ways we can only use genuine products...printer cartridges, car parts, just a couple that spring to mind.

TBH the best thing they did for their bank account years ago was stop supporting handouts and make us all buy PT's, when you have an idea like that, the last thing you want to make easy is someone like MRT to cash in on your product.

until another firm comes up with a product that works and is supported as well as the AMB system we will stay with it......But if someone does come up with that system lets hope it works with AMB transponders or all hell would break loose
the systems we have work for all!!

Last edited by Col; 29-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 29-10-2012

and boys sorry to disepoint you bud between the lines AMB had an agreement with MRT about the clones and numbers they whare given to use .
also it is not alowd to make a systhem that works on the amb or would work the same beside amb as they have the sole richt for that product . and as far as I now that is actualy iligel in europe . we all now U cant make an exact coppy bud somthing that works on all systhems iseesnt exept in the case with AMB .
Rude-Bits
Serpent
Fba section offroad chairman.
Old 29-10-2012

i think people should ask them selfs what are the benifits of upgrading the system i aint never seen "kers" on a rc car
Old 29-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdwarf View Post
thing I have to say I'm not 100% clear on is the my laps and AMB, is my laps the computer program and AMB the decoder and transponders? I always thought rob imported AMB into the uk, does him import my laps to or are they one and the same?
Hi

AMB changed it's name to MyLaps, they're one and the same company.
Old 29-10-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigbunt View Post
i think people should ask them selfs what are the benifits of upgrading the system i aint never seen "kers" on a rc car
Spot on!! Lol

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 29-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidspeed View Post
the issue for me is the backwards compatabilty if RC4 does not work with older style ambs as MAY be the case i am disappointed in mylaps/amb
i personally have 4

As a club we upgraded a while ago at a large cost from AMB 20 (our handout ambs are limping along ) to AMB Rc if this too becomes obselete i shall be very unhappy

This is all dependant on backward compatabilty remember fact or fiction we do not know enough yet
Hi

As fas as i'm aware, and i'm no expert on this, then there's no issues with backwards compatability - Yet.
I believe it's possible there will be in the future but for now all the digital transponders (the original PT, the red handouts & 'harrys' will work with the new system.
The issue might be is somebody buys one of the new Percy's(spl?) as that won't work with the old decoders until they have an upgrade - I think..

Either way at this precise moment in time there isn't a 'right now' issue we have to deal with.

The MRT clones are indeed a different problem - one I suspect for MRT to deal with..
Old 29-10-2012

Quote:
Hi

As fas as i'm aware, and i'm no expert on this, then there's no issues with backwards compatability - Yet.
I believe it's possible there will be in the future but for now all the digital transponders (the original PT, the red handouts & 'harrys' will work with the new system.
The issue might be is somebody buys one of the new Percy's(spl?) as that won't work with the old decoders until they have an upgrade - I think..

Either way at this precise moment in time there isn't a 'right now' issue we have to deal with.

The MRT clones are indeed a different problem - one I suspect for MRT to deal with..

jim i carnt understand how the mrt is differentto the "old" amb bugs, mine are cloned to my original amb number, how does the sytem know its not an old amb but a mrt?

(apreciate your not the technical guy on this but at the moment your the only one making sence )
Old 29-10-2012

I think the issues we're seeing are because the product has evolved so much

The first system was actually developed specifically for RC cars (in case folks didn't know) it then moved into the full sized motorsport arena and Karting.

However the massive growth in sports timimg where handouts are impractical due to the sheer numbers involved (marathons, cycling etc) drove the products into the Personal Transponder route.

In short we're now riding on the back of the high volume market instead of being the people setting it.

Mark mentioned that the association exec were asked to find alternatives (By people who went to an AGM stuck their hand up and asked a question - some of whom then volunteered to do the leg work and find out)

The answer that came back was Yes there are alternatives - at least One that will work anyway - but it would require a Total change for us all as you can't mix types in a meeting, and there was little or no cost saving
(the same technology albeit with a different brand attached oddly costs roughly the same money..)

There have been lots of other methods tried and pretty much all have disapeared, so we have what we have, I'm not saying it's perfect though.

The current solution of MyLaps (AMB in old money) providing a neatly packaged, but costly solution - that MRT manage to provide an alternative for one part of - is basicaly as good as it gets.

Though perhaps this is an opportunity for MRT, or somebody else. to go back to basics?
If the mass market product has evolved to try and suit the runners and cyclists is there a niche for an RC Car racing only product again?
Old 29-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigbunt View Post
You should check out the old Tekin 410 and 411 series of ESC's then, regenerative braking ohh yes. We had it years before F1!!!
Old 29-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
jim i carnt understand how the mrt is differentto the "old" amb bugs, mine are cloned to my original amb number, how does the sytem know its not an old amb but a mrt?

(apreciate your not the technical guy on this but at the moment your the only one making sence )
Mark - dunno is the short answer

I believe it's something to do with the MyLaps ones transmitting some extra data that the old decoders didn't use (hence it not being there in the clones) but the new decoder does.

I'm also lead to beleive it will count a MRT bug, but with a very high missed lap count 1 out of 4 was mentioned, but I have no idea how accurate (inaccurate?) this is.

But either way, for now, at the average club, it's not going to be an issue is it?

It'll only be an issue realistically when you come to purchase a replacement PT for the one you're currently running - as these things take years to filter through the system - we've literally only just 'gone digital' at Crewe!

I won't be buying a new anything for ages, neither will you, we'll just wait and see what happens.
Long before I need a replacement it'll be blindingly obvious what'll work with what I'm sure.
Old 29-10-2012

Quote:
Mark - dunno is the short answer

I believe it's something to do with the MyLaps ones transmitting some extra data that the old decoders didn't use (hence it not being there in the clones) but the new decoder does.

I'm also lead to beleive it will count a MRT bug, but with a very high missed lap count 1 out of 4 was mentioned, but I have no idea how accurate (inaccurate?) this is.

But either way, for now, at the average club, it's not going to be an issue is it?

It'll only be an issue realistically when you come to purchase a replacement PT for the one you're currently running - as these things take years to filter through the system - we've literally only just 'gone digital' at Crewe!

I won't be buying a new anything for ages, neither will you, we'll just wait and see what happens.
Long before I need a replacement it'll be blindingly obvious what'll work with what I'm sure.
cheers jim
what concerns me is the company (mylaps) and the presentation was done by somone who would not want to promote mrt and say they will work, bit like Mazda saying ford fiesta brake pads will fit our Mazda 2 cars and are cheaper!
Old 29-10-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

The presentation was (it seems - I wasn't there) given by the UK distributor, and frankly it would seem he's the only person in the UK qualified to give it.

I'll not lie, from a business perspective if I was amb/mylaps I'd have changed something in the decoder firmware years ago to stop the MRT's working. It's not good for us racers (I have 2 MRT clones btw), but for them on a purely business view it's not good for someone else to be making transponders that work with their equipment.
Old 29-10-2012

i have to agree with Mark, im suprised to see MRT's wont work, if the older style red AMB's will. Maybe its just a marketing ploy by MyLaps to start scarring people into not buying MRTs

I would guess we (the clubs) all need an update to BBK to support the 8 digit PTs too, lets hope that doesn't come at a cost!
Old 29-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSloth View Post
i have to agree with Mark, im suprised to see MRT's wont work, if the older style red AMB's will. Maybe its just a marketing ploy by MyLaps to start scarring people into not buying MRTs

I would guess we (the clubs) all need an update to BBK to support the 8 digit PTs too, lets hope that doesn't come at a cost!
why?

why not just stay on the old system? it'll help new racers get in to the sport as the pt cost will come down.

it all sounds overkill i dont see what the point of spending money on something that seems to work anyways..
Old 29-10-2012

A right can of worms
Simply my laps need to re-think the system changes F1 and rc can't be more different, 213 clubs and over 5000 members plus owners of 2 or more PT's
the answer to the sum is a yacht in the south of France at our expense .
I'm running on a very tight budget as is and this extra cost is stupid

We all need to stand up and be counted and say NO
Old 29-10-2012
Mad Member

On another note !

BBK's new price on a Harry PT is £76

BBK offer a trade-in for the old PT's , your old PT + £42 ( that works out at approx 45% trade-in cost )

Now MyLaps offer a 60% Discount

Are we getting stung again ?