A big chassis from KM-RC.com
I saw it on this web link!! It's attractive enough to buy~
Dark Impact Conversion Kit

- High Quality KCI Graphite Chassis

- Shorter Linkage between the Steering part and the servo

- Structure weight redistributed with saddle packed battery

Old 10-11-2006
Administrator

yea it does look nice, the cells look nice and close together to keep it narrow. the last time I saw it all the alloy was silver, I guess this is the finished item ?!?
Looks ace, I hope the servo fits under the newer shells like the Keen Hawk, I guess it should.

Last edited by jimmy; 10-11-2006 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
yea it does look nice, the cells look nice and close together to keep it narrow. the last time I saw it all the alloy was silver, I guess this is the finished item ?!?
Looks ace, I hope the servo fits under the newer shells like the Keen Hawk, I guess it should.
You have seen this chassis before?
Old 10-11-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

This is the KMC conversion, that moves the cells from central to 3+3 arrangement, plus it moves the servo much further forward, although I do think the servo will fit, what put me off this conversion is the fact that the weight distribution and component placement has changed, and the one reason people like the DF-03 was the component placement and weight.

But I am sure Jimmy would be willing to test it, if not, I would!!!
Old 10-11-2006

I quite fancy this conversion myself, was considering buying a DI and seeing this, has made my mind up. Just concerned about the steering servo fitment with the stock shell, would any other shell fit???

Is the conversion release date, 15th November, a confirmed realease date?
Old 10-11-2006
Administrator

I saw this conversion at a hobby show many months ago, I think it had SSG carbon chassis and didn't look anywhere near as nice as this. I was also looking at it last week and all the alloy was raw and not anodised, these photos must be very recent because afaik they weren't there last week.

The weight move isn't a big issue for me - and might even be better since the weight is more centralised (front to back) so might turn quicker, it looks great. I'm sure they tested the servo placement with the Impact shell but a shell like the Keen Hawk might be a little different up front. We'll have to see.
Old 10-11-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

wonder if them servo mounts will fit a xx4/x5.. could make a few bob on them if so.
Old 11-11-2006
Mad Member

I have to get me one of these! Lee Davies at Oswestry has a DI and the carbon conversion has sold it for me. Are you doing a review Jimmy?
Old 11-11-2006
Administrator

YES!
I will be reviewing the KEEN HAWK (just different shell) around late december time. Along with a host of upgrades for a follow-on review, with the KM RC chassis conversion, Yeah Racing alloy upgrades, Square carbon towers and alloy CVDs, Tamiya option One Way / Slipper / Shocks (if I can afford them).

The exact details are to be decided

Everything thats good basically.

Thanks to RC Square (via RC Champ) - KM-RC - Yeah Racing, for their help.
Old 11-11-2006

Jim, when you come to it, grab me on MSN for some build tips, I am going to wrag mine around in the break between rounds tomorrow, haven't used it for ages. got the Tamiya centre one-way, Tamiya shocks, B4 turnbuckles, DF02 CVD's, Carbon towers, if it goes well, I will get the 3Racing conversion, I like their stuff (shame they wouldn't send stuff to you to reveiw, maybe I should get on them Jim, lol)
Old 11-11-2006
Administrator

I certainly will mate, its one of the most exciting cars around I think - almost wish I had reviewed my Impact earlier, ah well.
Old 11-11-2006

will do, it is silly stuff like shock limiting, dremmeling etc....
Old 11-11-2006
Administrator

Are the df03 shocks the best ones to get ? Or are tamiya coming out with more ? They look different to those on the TRF 510x is why I ask.
Can the car accept different types of springs, like Associated ?

I've not ordered the Tamiya hop ups yet - I was waiting for the front one-way but I've yet to see it for sale.
Old 11-11-2006

I can try, they seem to be a standard size, and the DF03 shocks are rather good, although they do give a little too much drrop (freaking loads more than you need on the rear), so may cause trouble with running dogbones, but some fuel tubing solves that. The DF03 shocks are top notch to build, fill and bleed.
Old 12-11-2006

Hey this is good news an OFFICIAL Oople review of the DF-03 chassis. They are always very indepth and very class.

I've had a DI since the middle of the summer and it's my favorite car. Apart from some mechanical difficulties it is very sturdy and flys like a Harrier.

I'm new here, is there a place I can formally introduce myself?

I've been lurking around these parts for a couple of years, I signed up to the Doughty boards to get info on the CML racetrack and thought I'd sign up here to heap praise on Jimmy and his magic camera (outstanding work mate, you make the cars look so cool). I'll keep my replys short and infrequent because I may have bored DCM off the Tamiyaclub forums with my ramblings about the Dark Impact.

Elliott.

Last edited by Elliott Hopkins; 13-11-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 13-11-2006

ah, I lost me log-in on there dude, so haven't been on in a while.

I just got the diff out-drives this morning (with the postie grumbling about MORE asian packages...) so will post to let you know if the front outdrives fit the rear.
Old 13-11-2006
Administrator

are front are rear diffs different ?
Old 13-11-2006

the parts they use are different, but when built up, they look the same, I will have a look later and build up the rear diff with the front outputs and see if it works.
Old 13-11-2006

'TrevCoult' from Tamiyaclub pointed out something interesting the other day, particularly if you want to run a 'balls out' motor.

The Super Astute pinions, which go down to about 18 or 19T are the same 0.5 module type as the kit DI gears. They are still available on the 'Bay for £5 a pair. These:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXEX40&P=K

should also work.

Elliott.

Last edited by Elliott Hopkins; 13-11-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Old 13-11-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
are front are rear diffs different ?
The front and rear do seem a bit different. Sorry bout pic quality. Click the image for a better pic.