Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 14-08-2009

Thanks for the update Jimmy.
Old 16-08-2009

1st - 3rd - 4th at the Euro's, fantastic result for the 511X. well done to the Tamiya drivers
Old 16-08-2009

To sell a few more kits I wonder if Tamiya will produce a TRF511 EC version (European Champion)?
Old 16-08-2009

Donīt think they will sell a Euros version. They did not release a 501X EC version when Hupo won in 2007.
They will probably release a World Edition.

The difference between the stock 511 and the version Hupo, Victor and Marc ran are the new ballcups, alu caster blocks, rear alu hubs, HL damper cylinders, titanum coated piston rods and probably the the low friction rod guides together with Much More o-rings (Tamiya Competition O-rings #42137).
Those options are worth more than $100.

Hupo used split top decks.
Donīt know if anyone used the double slipper? Hupo didīnt (from what I can see on the photos).
Old 16-08-2009

From what I could read Marc and Wilck ran the stock 511 except for the gray ballcups. Dont think all of those options are that necessary accually.
I have seen your 511 Fredrik and you ran the same setup on both gravel and turf without any change, and the car was ACE on both tracks! Think that speaks for it self. Your car looks like it so very light because it rides the bumps like they are not there and it so smooth all over the track. A 50/50 weight distribution without adding any additional weight any where is also impressive. With LIPOS!

Please correct me if I am wrong on any account.
Old 16-08-2009

Well, if you look at the photos (day 5, Victors car) you will see that he has the HL damper cylinders, titanum coated pistons and alu caster block. if you look at Hupos car (day 4) you will see that he has the alu rear hubs.
One part I forgot to mention are the blue titanium turnbuckles. They are not included it the original kit either.

The option parts are maybe not necessary, but they used them anyway.

My point was really regarding the World Edition and what parts they will put in the kit.

Most important upgrade on the 511 are the ball cups.
Old 16-08-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Doubt all those bits would be on a worlds, the turnbuckles are a fortune!

501 worlds had the Ali hubs/castor blocks, and coated shafts, but are tamiya even doing these worlds??

The Ali hubs/castor blocks have been available for years now, but does anyone know if the guys were running 10 or 12 degree castor? Also last year Hupo ran 1 degree Ali rear hubs I think, not sure if he still is, but if so I don't think they are available even as a hopup, as the hopups don't have a left or right hand!?

Overall I'd guess the "performance" upgrades were the split top decks for Hupo, and maybe the Ali hubs/castor blocks!? The rest is bling and reliability (eg ballcups)!

Luckily I already have all the hopups listed in earlier posts except the ballcups and top deck (well, maybe the hubs depending which they used). Sadly I have a big scratch down the inside of one of my HL dampers!
Old 16-08-2009

I think he ran 0,5 degrees rear hubs.
You can use the 511 rear suspension rear mount on the 501X to get the same toe-in on the 501X.
TRF511 has 3.3 degrees toe-in.
Old 17-08-2009
Mad Member

Hi Guys,

So who in the UK actually run these?
How do you get on with spares etc is thier someone (Model Shop) that imports the spares etc.
Just i know The Hobby company dont really support the good racing brnads they have, just wondered how you guys get on with this?

What do you think of the build Q, compared to other brands

Kyosho MP9 TKI2
Team Orion CRF US edition & Team Orion CRF Alpha 5port
Kyosho ZX-5 FS2
Kyosho RB5 SP2
LRP SXX TC & Brushless X12
Speed Passion
Old 17-08-2009
Administrator

I think Hupo built all the cars - so all pretty much identical other than manufacturing stuff (the pre-production stuff) and electrics.
Old 17-08-2009

Lucky Hupo.
Old 17-08-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlin View Post
Hi Guys,

So who in the UK actually run these?
How do you get on with spares etc is thier someone (Model Shop) that imports the spares etc.
Just i know The Hobby company dont really support the good racing brnads they have, just wondered how you guys get on with this?

What do you think of the build Q, compared to other brands

I run the 501x, I have to admit I get my parts from Vellrip, they only take 4 days to arrive.

although I haven't actually broke much ever with the car (one wishbone, al;though at the moment I dont race it every week as I'm concentrating on TC's). Its more just a case of rebuilding the diffs every now and again, and those parts you can buy from the UK as its the same parts as the Tamiya tourers.
Old 15-11-2010

Guys I'm thinking of getting one of these awesome looking cars. Once you've got the parts to accommodate Lipo cells ( saddles) are these easy enough to fit and do they look ok once on the car. I'm talking about the official TRF chassis parts.
Old 16-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by msxmre View Post
Guys I'm thinking of getting one of these awesome looking cars. Once you've got the parts to accommodate Lipo cells ( saddles) are these easy enough to fit and do they look ok once on the car. I'm talking about the official TRF chassis parts.
I would recommend using the lipo trays that Fredrik Emilsson makes. If I remember correctly, the official Tamiya ones require the center bulkhead to be modified.
Old 16-11-2010

Quote:
I would recommend using the lipo trays that Fredrik Emilsson makes. If I remember correctly, the official Tamiya ones require the center bulkhead to be modified.
I agree. I've got Fred's trays as well as the front and rear dust covers.
I reckon these three bits aren't nice to have - there essential!
Old 16-11-2010

The mod to the bulkhead isnt very hard and a very straight forward grinding job once you see the problem, but yes, I'd go with Fredriks lipo tray which works perfectly and doesnt require bulkhead modification.
The Tamiya set is made so that the batteries fit very snug, so snug that it can be a pain to get them back out again.
Also, his diff covers would be a very good idea to invest in if you run on dirt.