Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 12-01-2007

Last edited by tamiyaninha; 12-01-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2007

Bad news for you mamba fans the mamba motors wont fit properly due to the ring of screws around the bottom of the can so you will have to think of another motor to use instead, also the speedo is very difficult to place in the 501. I'll have to keep the combo in my B4 instead.
Old 15-01-2007
Mad Member

Here's mine, waiting impatiently on the FX pro to get a little more room... Sorry for the quality but my camera broke so phone picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 501-elec-1.jpg (59.4 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg 501-elec-2.jpg (52.8 KB, 218 views)
Old 26-01-2007

Finaly took the plunge and decided to instal the Novak brushless setup in the car, and boy did it take some time, nearly drove me insane... I like all my cars to look very neat and tidy with the minimum of fuss, this was just not going to work like that at all, but I think that I did a good job otherwise and it now should look the dogs danglies.

Old 20-02-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_Tastic View Post
Bad news for you mamba fans the mamba motors wont fit properly due to the ring of screws around the bottom of the can so you will have to think of another motor to use instead, also the speedo is very difficult to place in the 501. I'll have to keep the combo in my B4 instead.
There's always good news when it comes to Mambas.. you don't need the screw heads on the MM motor. Grinding them off with a dremel, etc. are some of your options

The motor will be fine with them shaved.
Old 22-02-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_Tastic View Post
Finaly took the plunge and decided to instal the Novak brushless setup in the car, and boy did it take some time, nearly drove me insane... I like all my cars to look very neat and tidy with the minimum of fuss, this was just not going to work like that at all, but I think that I did a good job otherwise and it now should look the dogs danglies.

Just out of curiosity, is that a std size of servo or is it a smaller servo.

I ask as i run the same gtb and would like to know if a Ko digital servo will fit?

Thanks

Col.
Old 22-02-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

that looks like a normal size servo.
Old 22-02-2007

Well spotted DCM that is a normal sized KO servo. I no longer run the brushless setup in the 501 as it glitches all over the place and is a pain in the neck, until I find a way to mount it without it glitching it is sitting in the pitbox!!!
Old 23-02-2007
Administrator

The mamba max system says to try cut down on interference that you should twist the motor wires - not sure if that would help or not.

I was (cough cough) fastest lap - fastest lap about 1 second quicker with the 501X over the Keen Hawk (once the hawk was semi-sorted) but on average about 3 seconds per lap quicker I'd say.
This was the sheer un-pushability (wow, I made a new word) of the 'Hawk - it bit me hard when pushed.
Needless to say, I'll race it again before i finish the review, it's the only fair way.

Last edited by jimmy; 23-02-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 23-02-2007

twisting wires is an old trick of brushed motors too, but more often or not, it is a culmination of things that cures it, or the interference demons just go haunt somebody else all of a sudden (one for Northy that....)
Old 23-02-2007

Default Glitches

Hi

Is it possible that the belts and Carbon fibre are generating static and the sparking causes the glitch?

Also why not run the aerial close to the Rx and make sure the Aerial wire is run in some fuel tube and doesn't rub on the Carbon fibre.

Jeff
Old 23-02-2007

I would of thought it is more to do with the fact the receiver is one side of the chassis and the aerial tube is the other, so the aerial wire is laid across a rather large conductor (the chassis).
Old 23-02-2007
Mad Member

The glitching is comming from the motor under load if you hold the car in your hands and throttle it it wont do it but under load (coming out of corners). I had this a few weeks ago in my XX4 I sorted it buy buying a 2.4 ghz radio system (was ready for a new system anyway) I think it is RF noise coming from the motor.
Old 23-02-2007

I tried running the arial the same side as the reciever after it glitched the first time, didnt make a blind bit of difference. I am sure that the problem is down to the rf noise generated by the motor under load. However without a suitable place to run the reciever away from the motor Im a little stuck. I desperately want to use the brushless system but until I can come up with a miracle I am stuck!
Old 23-02-2007
Super Moderator

Have you tried the 'magical capacitor in the receiver' trick? Seems to cure most things.

Cheers,

G
Old 23-02-2007

Northy, bottom of picture "Magic Cap" installed. Didnt work. Have thought about taking the car to a local preist and getting the gremlins Excorsised from it!! But apparently the C of E doesnt have an RC excorsism section.
Old 23-02-2007
Super Moderator

Ah, sorry, never actually looked at the picture.

Just to start a flame war, I'm a firm believer in the fact that KO receivers pick up interferance very easily, i.e. they don't like being sat near a PT. But I guess thats a bit extream to change.

G
Old 23-02-2007

I would say, the biggest move would be switching receiver to the other side.

Northy, does the magical mystery capacitor have magical smoke inside?
Old 23-02-2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Northy, does the magical mystery capacitor have magical smoke inside?
Oh yes, lots and lots and lots of smelly smoke! That's why its so good!

G
Old 23-02-2007

is the magic smoke EVIL?
that could be the cause of glitches lol