Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-07-2012

Default Best ways to improve driving skills

I was wondering what everyone's thouhts were on the best things to focus on to improve driving skills and race times?

I appreciate that practise and tons of it are good (for any activity) but I wondered what I should try to achieve / work on whilst racing - I race on astro so its not like just driving on the lawn in th garden surely?

Any tips welcomed.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Well, try different settings on the car, take a notebook, make notes of what change you make and what it did, don't under-power the car, it hides a multitude of sins.
Old 09-07-2012
Mad Member

As well as the settings bit, I would not over-power the car. A really fast car hides a multitude of driving sins as every straight is a chance to catch back time when you get the entry and exit right to the straight, but miss a few apexes in the infield.

I'd suggest a lower-powered car because line and speed, and carrying corner speed, show up more on the clock than with a fast car. Once you have that off pat, put the same car on a slippery surface and try again - that will teach car control. When you can do that with your eyes shut, up the power and try again. It's about gaining the mental capacity to work with the car, to make the time to see what is going on and be able to plan and adjust in a race.

Just my thoughts. Have fun whatever you choose to do.
Old 09-07-2012

I was told by a very wise man to drive a corner adead ready to be setup for the next corner, try to change something each race and relise the difference and remember that you are in control of your car and will only go where you tell it too
(although I say this I'm still trying to do it)
-Schumacher Cat K1
Old 09-07-2012

The best advice i can give is this

1. Slow down a touch
2. Get your lines right
3. Stay calm
4. Let quicker drivers through and tag on
5. Watch what the quick guys are doing in practice

Often trying to hard to go quickly is what makes us slower, the best runs i ever have i often come down off the rostrum thinking i was slow.
Don't get me wrong car setup is important and adjusting the car for how you drive does matter but more time is lost through pushing to hard and then the time spent waiting for a marshall costs more than going a fraction slower but keeping the run clean.
I'm not quick or that slow but on good run i can get my average lap within 0.5 second of my fastest lap.

Hope thats some help

X4TE
X2C
Old 09-07-2012

On another note i don't get to practice or race enough so to help my hand eye coordination i clock up a few hours on the ps3 to sharpen up my reactions.
The best for this for me is playing COD or Battlfield online

X4TE
X2C
Old 09-07-2012

Another one for going slow.

Im also relatively new to racing and was given the go slow advice, and that if you see a jump just roll over it. Its more about getting your average laptime low rather than one seriously quick lucky lap try and keep it consistent.

Chances are as a newbie changing much on the car wont do much if your crashing all the time making mistakes.
Old 09-07-2012
Mad Member

Find a nice *normal/neutral* set up, and then stop fiddling. You've just as much chance of making it worse than you have of making it better.

Then try and get on the track when its clear and no one else is there and just drive. A couple of hours on an empty track will do wonders for your line choice.

Then mix it up by driving with others.

Then you can start looking at set up changes, keep it simple to start with.
Old 09-07-2012

I'm not the best to give advice but I find, 10.5 is the general all rounder for 2wd short course, turn it down to about 80% and don't get a massively fast servo, take it steady, make the right tyre choice and take corners steady
--->Seller Feedback<---
Old 09-07-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpi_guy View Post
I'm not the best to give advice but I find, 10.5 is the general all rounder for 2wd short course, turn it down to about 80% and don't get a massively fast servo, take it steady, make the right tyre choice and take corners steady
Good advice Will

practice and staying calm/concentrating when racing are the only keys to this hobby.

Decent equipment and lots of car maintainence is recommended too for reliability
Old 09-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Some good advice above. Personally speaking i think you`re best to make the car slow enough for you to enable you to drive it for five full minutes without crashing. Concentrate on clean lines. As has already been said consistency is key.

If you are in a lower heat, the chances are that the majority of your competitors will be crashing. Even if you are slower over a lap you will still win your heat if you stay clean.

Setup isnt as important until you need to improve lap times. Just make sure that the car is mechanically sound and you are on the right tyres for the track and conditions. Thats 90% of getting it right. The right tyres !

See My Feedback

Old 09-07-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

rule number 1 = practice
rule number 2 = practice more often
rule number 3 = don't miss a chance to practice
rule number 4 = watch the quick guys learn there line o and did i mention PRACTICE
Old 09-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

my first A final win at club was using a 16x3 and a GTX! this was in 2010 too lol. My brushless setup had popped and was away on warranty so the 16x3 was the only option. My clean lines and lack of mistakes/crashes brought the car home. The slower car speed meant I could pick my lines easily and position the car to achieve good lap times. I didn't TQ, but I did take the win in the end. I did the same thing with a 10.5 there. the car was very docile which ultimately became a bore to drive, but it taught me a lot.

My next year I ran a 7.5 and did well. Now this year I've put in a 6.5 and I'm doing well - I think so anyway lol. The 7.5 is a good motor which I still run in the 2wd. In the 4wd it was pretty good on the smaller tracks like Kidderminster and Stotfold, but I felt I needed the 6.5 for the longer straights like Coventry astro, etc.

A lot of my fellow club racers ONLY race at club and have no interest in setups or venturing to other tracks to race. Some of them purely race indoors running the same car, same tyres, same setup week in week out. About half the members do run 2wd outdoors though. I feel my experience on alternative surfaces, racing a lot of different racers has given me a great insight into improving my ability. I've known some people buy a car and run it. Not got on with it straight away and sold it on for something else. No changes were made to the car. If it didn't work it went.
Old 10-07-2012
Mad Member

I second that....important in my profession!

My tuning tool of the month is Vanquish...pure destruction!

All the advice is good...but slow or fast etc..the main thing is that you don't get bogged down by all the intricacies (unless you intend to be profession) but enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro4nut View Post
On another note i don't get to practice or race enough so to help my hand eye coordination i clock up a few hours on the ps3 to sharpen up my reactions.
The best for this for me is playing COD or Battlfield online
Old 10-07-2012
Mad Member

I have one word for you, UNDERSTEER. Especially outdoors on astro.

If you can set the car up to have understeer and do a race you will have to learn to control the throttle and brakes accordingly to manouvre round corners.

This will help your lines and keep the car safe for 5 minutes whilst you learn this.

Then gradually increase the amount of steering you have until you feel that you can still drive the car for 5 minutes without crashing but can corner faster.
Old 10-07-2012

I find it a bit odd everyone saying go slow I agree with dcm you need a quick car and learn to control the speed on Sunday I opted to run a 6.5t in every heat my fastest lap where all within 0.05 the problem was i was a full second and a bit of the top drivers this I could have gained with a 5.5t best thing to do is have a look what the A finalists or running
Old 10-07-2012
Mad Member

I'm relatively new in the racing scene. My nearest track is is some 140km away and I need to travel by public transport. In short, I can't just go the track and practice a bit.

What I do is go to as many races as possible. It's more fun than practicing on your own (imo), you have other people as a reference point, both for setup and trying to keep up.

Also, decide what you you exactly want to improve and focus on. You can focus on your driving skill and setting up the car, but it's a lot to do at once.

I for example often just find a setup that kind of works (because with my *cough cough* refined driving I get such faster lap times with the smallest of setup changes/improvement) Then I drive the car as much as possible when I'm at an event. For me, driving skill is not just being able to go fast consistently, it's also being able to adapt to your car and maximize your performance when the setup is not the way you'd like. After all even with experience in setting up your car you'll sometimes hit problems finding the right setup. This is where other racers might be able to help you (quickly), however for your actual driving skills, there's no way to tweak that at one event
Old 10-07-2012
Mad Member

The terms of getting your set up right are very true but you need to understand what each change you make is going to do to your car.

Also look at full size cars and make sure you understand the apex of corners or double apex.

Walk the track, it's surprising how different a corner looks from the rostrum, it doesn't matter if no one else is doing it, you'll feel a bit conscious doing it the first time but it really helps !

My paintwork thread
Old 10-07-2012

Guys - many thanks.

Certainly food for thought.

I did notice at last weeks race when I was going a little slower the confidence built and I didn't go off so many times and my average lap time was 2 secs faster than the week before.

A fellow racer helped me with some geometry changes and the car handled much much better so I'm going for the consistent, mehtodical practice and improvement root with stuffing it.

I think I'll "let sleeping dogs lie" and not change the set up for now and get used to getting round without going off and I'll certainly walk the track.

Let's see if I can do any better tonight assuming the weather holds :fingerscrossed:

Cheers
Old 10-07-2012

I agree with the theory of 'slower is quicker' for when you are a beginner.... I've seen so many new club members turn up on their first week with a reasonable RTR car with suitable mild performance... after a couple of weeks of running in the bottom heat/final (but gradually improving) Suddenly they turn up with the latest car & the quickest motor & expect to win the A - unfortunately all they do is crash quicker/break the car & loose interest in the hobby... the next thing is all their gear is advertised on ebay.

With brushless power its so easy to buy more power than we actually need - I've been racing for over 20 years & still struggle to handle a car that is 'overpowered' - In 2wd I've not come across any track yet that would require anything more than a 6.5.

Alot of patience I think is very key, this hobby is very complex with alot to learn (its what makes it so appealing & makes racing so addictive) developing your own skills as a driver & combining this with the mechanical element of running/maintaining/improving your car - unfortunately doesn't happen over night... when you go to any club the guys in the A final have all probably been racing for many years - decades even - to get up to their pace will equally take many years.

As with everything its best to start young - kids seem to pick it up quicker & can develop a natural ability for R/C racing, which is so much harder when you start as an Adult. I can remember a young Elliott Harper turning up at our club bursting with enthusiasm - when he started his odd mistakes meant that we could sometimes keep with him, but he quickly became almost unbeatable & moved on to bigger & greater things (i.e 3rd at the last T.C worlds!) - Its obvious that some people do have a natural ability/gift for R/C, but i'm a firm believer that almost anyone with the will & enough practice can become successfull at some level at least.

When I was a kid & first started racing I can remember my dad setting out flower pots onto the back lawn for me to drive around - effectively making a little track - although it was on grass which was a different surface to the carpet/polished floor of the indoor track where I raced, it really helped sharpen my reactions & make driving an R/C car 2nd nature.