Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 12-01-2015

Default SV2 Bearings

Hi,

Both my lads race at Torch club in Southampton and they run SV2's. We are finding that the front and rear bearings seem to seize really easily? Last Sunday the track was still damp (no rain on the day) and once the meeting was finished and we got home 2 of the front wheel bearings were solid.

Anyone else find this? What do you do to prevent it....if at all.

Surely you shouldn't have to replace bearings after a meeting.

Any tips on how to free them up?

Cheers
Toby
Old 12-01-2015

curious , ive just brought one of those to race in belgium , i wonder if ill get the same problem hmmmmm
Old 12-01-2015

Are you talking about the front and rear wheel ballraces? have you checked that the spacers between the ballraces are installed?

I build my hubs by installing the ballraces on one side, then pack the hub with LM grease then press the other ballrace in to place but keeping a finger over the oposite ballrace so the excess grease is forced into the ballrace.

Packing the hub with grease also helps to keep out water, I race on Astro in all conditions and through standing water, and have not had a single ballrace fail.

Before using the standard kit ballraces I soak them in pot of Triflow and allow to drain, Triflow is a PTFE lubricant and is brilliant for making the ballrace free but well lubricated

Last edited by CARB; 12-01-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 19-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyw View Post
Hi,

Both my lads race at Torch club in Southampton and they run SV2's. We are finding that the front and rear bearings seem to seize really easily? Last Sunday the track was still damp (no rain on the day) and once the meeting was finished and we got home 2 of the front wheel bearings were solid.

Anyone else find this? What do you do to prevent it....if at all.

Surely you shouldn't have to replace bearings after a meeting.

Any tips on how to free them up?

Cheers
Toby
Hi Toby
My sons and I all race SV's or SV2's at Torch and we had the same problem until I started spraying the exposed bearings in the wheels and hubs with a little WD40 or similar after each race. Also when I get home I remove the front wheel bearings and soak them in WD40 in a small sealed container for a few days, until I rebuild the cars for the next weekend. This soak might also free up some of the stuck bearings you have. We also now have an air compressor at the track to blow off the cars after each race.
Hope it helps
Steve
Old 19-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Are they the yellow or red ones? The yellow ones are very prone to seizing.