Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 24-12-2006

I'm running in mine a KO 2363 servo, KO 302F reciever and a Quantum Comp 2 speedo seems to run great for me.
Old 26-12-2006

Send a message via MSN to darren

LRP QC2 ESC
Air 94361 Servo
Spektrum
Reedy 7 x 2

--- OR ---- (depending on conditions)

LRP SPHERE COMP.
Air 94361 Servo
NEO 2 Star
Spektrum
Old 27-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairySteve View Post
Could be. I asked the CML rep last time he was in and he said it was the 8.5 but he may be wrong. The 8.5 is rated at 5800KV (5800rpm per volt I think) so that's very quick, so you may well be right about it being the 13.5 instead. I'll have a look on Novak's website, that's probably easiest...
-Steve
EDIT Yep, I've just found http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...article-id=182 this info on the 13.5. I've also been reading about the other Novak motors and it sounds like the 5.5 and 6.5 are going to be best for the outdoor series next year... 5.5 for high traction (like Faversham's grass field) or 6.5 for loose dirt.
Bollox Man, get a 3.5 Whacked in
Old 27-12-2006

I'm not that good at driving... a 5.5 or 6.5 will be more than enough for me. Besides if I get an X6 for the 2wd competitions next year (which I'm seriosuly considering) then I'll need two brushless setups... I'm buggered if I'm swapping the motors and speedos backward and forward between cars all the time...
-Steve
Present: Tamiya DF-03
Future: Tamiya TRF501X
Old 29-12-2006

Default Finished

Going to a trophy race on Jan. 6 2007 will tell you guys what i think of the car, as it sits the shocks and springs feel a little on the soft side but i will try it first before changing rates and whts. Picture 382.jpg

Picture 386.jpg
Old 31-12-2006

Build is complete. Just started the on the body.

I like the look of the body, but ..........
What were they thinking when designing a body with such weird shaped windows and NOT including window masks.
Old 31-12-2006
Mad Member

It is crazy not supplying masks. I guess Jimmy will make some for his review car and then these will be for sale. I still dont like the shell, why could they not make it a classic shape like the ZX5? But I guess there will be no mistaking what your driving...
Old 31-12-2006

Not including window masks must be part of the weird sence of homour of the japanese :
"Let's design an impossible window shape and look at all those dumb white boys mess around with masking tape"

BTW, I love the body shape. It looks mean and fast.
Old 31-12-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Stop moaning and get on with it, lol, or you could pay for someone to spray it for you.....

As for window masks, they are nowt more than a pain in the butt!!!
Old 01-01-2007

Below is a picture of my car, now painted.

I thought masking the windows was easy, it was trying to mask other areas of the body that was hard

Dont judge it too harshly, I hate painting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trf501X 004.jpg (36.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 01-01-2007

Looks good to me, Bender!

I collected my kit on Thursday - started building yesterday after a bit of prep with the carbon bits.

I have some of the alloy TA05 outdrives on order to try, so I'm hanging on for those before I go much further.

Has anyone else noticed the spur gear doesn't appear to run perfectly true? Is this just a combination of the friction pads needing time to bed in, i.e. flatten, and that it's currently not meshed with a pinion gear?

Cheers,

Andy.

Last edited by Dunc; 01-01-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2007
Mad Member

looks cool! maybe the shell will grow on me. You might want to put some tyres on otherwise it will slip on your kitchen floor..

N
Old 01-01-2007

Ran Mine Yesterday down my local club and bent a shock shaft 1st time out Pish Flaps! ope I can get spares

Does seem a bit soft though, running 40wt oil in front and 35 in rear, anyone else found any springs that fit????

Have also raised the height of the front ball studs and shortered the camber links front and rear to stop it pitching and rolling so much!

Pinions are a bit of an arse too, think I need some of those spangly corally ones!
Old 01-01-2007

Associated springs should be a direct fit. I bought some as I've no idea what rate the kit springs are, plus I don't think Tamiya have any alternatives currently available.
Old 02-01-2007

Hi,

I am not sure if it is so but I have heard that the associated unobtanium shafts will fit so it might be worth checking this out. I am not sure if it was the fronts or rears that they did this with though.

I should be receiving my 501 kit today or tommorow so I will check it against my B4 and let you know
Old 02-01-2007

I was thinking about Associated unobtanium shafts, but I'm a little worried that although in principle they may fit, the mix of metric/imperial will allow for slight leakage due to an improper seal.

Does anyone know how Losi and Associated's system works in terms of the shaft length - is it related to the stroke? The longest Losi do, for example, is 1.2" but surely the shaft itself is longer than this (tip to tip, including thread)?

I'm worried about the strength of the steel (aren't they?) turnbuckles and shock shafts in the TRF501X kit, so I was going to give the titanium equivalents from the MR4-BX a try. They are slightly different lengths though; shouldn't be a problem with the turnbuckles, and hopefully won't adversely affect the handling regarding the shock shafts. I'm pretty sure they'll be a direct fit, I'll check first though.
Old 02-01-2007

Associated shock shafts won't fit, tried these when I bent mine! Tamiya shock shaft diameter is 3mm and Associated is 3.15mm
Old 03-01-2007

I posted a setup for the 501 on my blog a few days ago that I scanned from the latest issue of RC Magazine (japan) .

see here: http://kentech.blogs.se
Old 03-01-2007

Default Thanks

Strange they list the shock pistons as #1 and #2 but the pistons in the kit are numbered #3 #4 and #5 , go figure?
Old 03-01-2007
Administrator

maybe running AE shocks and pistons ? The ae pistons don't fit the 501X shocks unless you give then a bit of sanding so probably not using them in the kit shocks.

OR perhaps they are referring to the pistons by their AE numbers, so the largest holes would be piston 1, smallest piston3

I have mine built with piston 1 rear and piston 3 front - same as my BJ4 worlds