Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 03-09-2010

Think about it. If Fredrik hadn`t invented the diff cover, the 511 is pretty much useless on loose dirt tracks. Tamiya has not made one of their own and from what I have seen the Japanese race a lot on loose dirt. Pretty much in the rest of the world also.
Old 03-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_AK View Post
People in Hong Kong need to keep quiet about sensitive information. All questions will be answered at the Tokyo Hobby Show.
Well you don't need to look too hard to see who, they post under their store name

Can you at least confirm it IS a 4wd 1/10 offroad trf?
Old 03-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to blitzboy

Very interesting thread guys but if tamiya do bring a new 4wd out to replace the 511 and make it shaft drive then don't change Tue geometry surely this will ruin the car as the tamiya seems to drive so well as belt and from experience with a lot of shaft drive 4wd that I ve run when I had a go with a 511 I will admit it wad far better than any shaft drive kit I've never owned ...for me belt drive is awsome I just can't bring myself to get a back loan for a 511 with all the upgrades costing a total of 700 from what I was told its too much for me but will say if it was cheaper then I would

http://www.customblitz.co.uk
Email:graham@customblitz.co.uk

Old 03-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzboy View Post
Very interesting thread guys but if tamiya do bring a new 4wd out to replace the 511 and make it shaft drive then don't change Tue geometry surely this will ruin the car as the tamiya seems to drive so well as belt and from experience with a lot of shaft drive 4wd that I ve run when I had a go with a 511 I will admit it wad far better than any shaft drive kit I've never owned ...for me belt drive is awsome I just can't bring myself to get a back loan for a 511 with all the upgrades costing a total of 700 from what I was told its too much for me but will say if it was cheaper then I would
if you buy wisely then you can knock a hundred or so off that G. You dont need all the upgrades, just depends how much bling you want really ! I reckon you could build a reliable non bling 511 for around £500 rolling chassis.

See My Feedback

Old 03-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

When is the hobby show?
Old 03-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
When is the hobby show?

http://www.tamiya.com/english/show0210/show0210_1.htm

This is Dave ?

See My Feedback

Old 03-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Shaft drive sucks. If Tamiya drop this 511 then they will never get my bysiness again.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 03-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
I wondered, but the rate is after the quoted lsunch date so I think it's from years ago, they say they're launching the TB Evo 3, aren't they on the 6 already?
Old 03-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post

Those dates are for 2002, but normally shows are around the same time every year so we're looking mid-next month!
Old 03-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Well you don't need to look too hard to see who, they post under their store name

Can you at least confirm it IS a 4wd 1/10 offroad trf?
The problem is that the stores get the information from their agents who are the ones who need to stop releasing this information. This information is given to us with specific dates that it cannot be given out before.

Based on the dates, I cannot disclose anything right now. When I can, I will come here first.

You guys SHOULD be happy when the details come out.
Old 03-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF_AK View Post
The problem is that the stores get the information from their agents who are the ones who need to stop releasing this information. This information is given to us with specific dates that it cannot be given out before.

Based on the dates, I cannot disclose anything right now. When I can, I will come here first.

You guys SHOULD be happy when the details come out.
No worries, can you at least confirm when the hobby show is itself, I am failing with google!?
Old 04-09-2010

Haha, yes it is mid October. I don't have the calender in front of me, but I believe it is the weekend of the 16th and 17th. I believe a list of items being shown will coming out week aftger next as well, but will probably get leaked out more next week. Once the items are posted, I can talk more about it.
Old 04-09-2010

Thanks Andrew, it is pretty cool having an insider from Tamiya post on this forum!
Old 04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Red View Post
Think about it. If Fredrik hadn`t invented the diff cover, the 511 is pretty much useless on loose dirt tracks. Tamiya has not made one of their own and from what I have seen the Japanese race a lot on loose dirt. Pretty much in the rest of the world also.
Thats exactly right. On looser tracks out here in the US, it is pretty much useless and the whole car would need a rebuild if you ran it on such a track. Astro/carpet or hardfloor you'll be golden...maybe even hardpacked dirt, but no racer I know out here would run a belt driven car on a looser track outdoors.

This is where shaft shines...but I loved my 501x. Best thing Ive ever driven. But had to go rango for the days I race outdoors. Cant beat shafts reliability and gear diffs are sweet. But I always had a TRF in my arsenal...now its the 201. If tamiya change it to shaft I will go back to their 4wd.
Old 04-09-2010

I've had no problems racing on any kind of dirt track with my 511. If your undertray is cut properly and you use velcro and the diff dust covers there should be no problem. It seal tighter than any 4wd I've ever driven.

I did have a weight come lose and get lodged in the rear diff housing but that was my fault. In short....best 4wd buggy ever..... Having said that I would like to see a tub chassis option just becaus I don't like undertrays.
Old 04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdfull View Post
Having said that I would like to see a tub chassis option just becaus I don't like undertrays.
There is one, it's called the DB01R, Not as much bling but fully sealed drivetrain
Old 04-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdfull View Post
If your undertray is cut properly and you use velcro and the diff dust covers there should be no problem
Precisely. A properly cut and installed undertray together with Fredriks gear covers and the car will be as dirt capable as any shaft car.
Also, I've been using the car in the rain on numerous occasions this year (due to the shit climate we have here) and theres not a drop of water inside the car after a heat.
Old 06-09-2010

While I don't have a problem running my 511 on dirt tracks here in oz I still like the idea of a shaft driven TRF with sealed gearboxes. They also have 416 gear diffs in the pipeline so maybe they'll find a way to shoehorn them into the car and we'll have a TRF durango
Old 06-09-2010

If it would be that Tamiya are releasing a Shaft driven TRF i would be back again with Tamiya. I just bought a AE B44 this year as my first non Tamiya car since 11 years because the track i race on is loose dirt and as i realized from a friends DB01R how many problems he had with his diff i found it wiser to not even have the risk of damaging my diffs or rebuilding them every 10 battery charges.
The B44 is just perfect for my track.
Old 06-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by muratti View Post
If it would be that Tamiya are releasing a Shaft driven TRF i would be back again with Tamiya. I just bought a AE B44 this year as my first non Tamiya car since 11 years because the track i race on is loose dirt and as i realized from a friends DB01R how many problems he had with his diff i found it wiser to not even have the risk of damaging my diffs or rebuilding them every 10 battery charges.
The B44 is just perfect for my track.
Interesting. The DB01R has sealed drivetrain (if you just remember to seal it as the manual suggests) so it shouldn't be an issue... it wasn't for me at least on my DB01.