Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 21-02-2011

maybe one should write, the car is not finished, compared to 501 and 511?
We are complaining on an very high level, if you compare the 502 to other brands?
The bumb steer thing is exremly driving style related some like it, some don't.
As i am having a lot of experience with real cars ( fwd), slip angle is varied with steering, so i don't like bumb steer, "classic" rc drive style seems to be the same? Most common setups wont work for me.

To come to an end, i will stick with the 502, and redesign the steeringrack a bit.
Old 21-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tit91 View Post
I do not understnd the discussions about the quality of the 502. I owned the 501 first and didn't recogize any decrease of the quality. The only thing I really don't like are the screws which are still far too soft.
The issue with the front damper stay, btw, were solved with some spcers, as discribed at trfracing.co.uk.
Some noticed that the steering is not angeled any more, so there is a bit bump steer. I don't think that this is bad as it reduces the slip angel on the front wheels when the car understeers. So that may be useful to improve the handling.
I think the 502 is really awsome and I'm looking foward to drive it outdoors.
The word "quality" has many meanings so I do not know how each person translates it...

The quality of the materials and parts is there for sure... what I do not understand is why some small flaws (damperstay angle, soft screws, steering bellcrank) were not corrected from the factory.... and the owner/racer must modify to make it work at it's best!? if it is easy for me and you to see these flaws, then I am sure it was easier for Tamiya!

Also when you have such a good base (TRF511) people expect the new car to be a big improvement from the box.... is it????
Old 21-02-2011

@floudas103: yep.
Old 21-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomberpilot View Post
maybe one should write, the car is not finished, compared to 501 and 511?
We are complaining on an very high level, if you compare the 502 to other brands?
The bumb steer thing is exremly driving style related some like it, some don't.
As i am having a lot of experience with real cars ( fwd), slip angle is varied with throttle, so i don't like bumb steer, "classic" rc drive style seems to be the same? Most common setups wont work for me.

To come to an end, i will stick with the 502, and redesign the steeringrack a bit.

You could not have said it better! That is how I feel exactly... I think a 512 is on it's way!

I am an owner of a 501 and thinking of what to buy: 511 or 502 I just can't convince myself to buy the 502! The biggest plus is the support it will get (from Lee and other sponsored) in setups and the 511 (which I think is the safest bet) is already not supported as much...
Old 21-02-2011

The TRF range of offroad cars are not for everyone. If you're on a budget, stay away (you'd be better of with a B44 then), but if you're serious about your racing and expect results, this is the car for you. The easiest solution to overcome the spares issues are buying two kits, but its obviously also the most expensive.

Once the steering mod is done, the car should feel like the 511 since the suspension is the same.
Old 21-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Couple of points:

1. The spacers on the front shock tower do not fix the angle issue, they stop the shock binding but do it by making the shock a different angle to the front kick up, which is not ideal, you still don't get linear movement. I believe the 511 had an angled front shock tower?

2. The steering mod does not turn it into a 511. The weight distribution, steering (again due to the kick up etc, and the massive flex built into the steering mechanism), and flex all remain different on the new car. I also don't think it's possible to match camber link angles between the 2, though may be wrong.

3. Therefore the "shaft drive version of the 511" blurb is misleading really, it's more different than that!

Personally, I find the 502 a better jumper, and smoother, but with less grip than the 511. Also not convinced yet that the steering mod is an improvement speed wise...

It also feels to me like a car designed and sold, with the key testing bit missin from the middle. As someone else said feels like obvious bits are missed on it!

Shame, as I am a total Tamiya fan boy, and I will be sticking with the 502, but to be honest, I'd recommend the 511 instead!!
Old 21-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
Couple of points:

1. The spacers on the front shock tower do not fix the angle issue, they stop the shock binding but do it by making the shock a different angle to the front kick up, which is not ideal, you still don't get linear movement. I believe the 511 had an angled front shock tower?

2. The steering mod does not turn it into a 511. The weight distribution, steering (again due to the kick up etc, and the massive flex built into the steering mechanism), and flex all remain different on the new car. I also don't think it's possible to match camber link angles between the 2, though may be wrong.

3. Therefore the "shaft drive version of the 511" blurb is misleading really, it's more different than that!

Personally, I find the 502 a better jumper, and smoother, but with less grip than the 511. Also not convinced yet that the steering mod is an improvement speed wise...

It also feels to me like a car designed and sold, with the key testing bit missin from the middle. As someone else said feels like obvious bits are missed on it!

Shame, as I am a total Tamiya fan boy, and I will be sticking with the 502, but to be honest, I'd recommend the 511 instead!!
I know where a good 511 that has you name is Amish!!! I have a present for you this weekend
Old 21-02-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

me too!! he has one beauty!
Old 22-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
seems like 502x was released too early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I disagree, it's a great car. But there is room for improvement!
are you serious?

tamiya release a car that is not geometrically correct from an engineering standpoint and you still disagree with the car being released too early.

I hope tamiya release their mistake with this problem. I personally would be very wary of future releases. I mean I love their cars, but the newer ones, including the 201 has had a few teething issues.
Old 22-02-2011

funny how most of the pros are going backwards since running this car
Old 22-02-2011

Quote:
agree
Old 22-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by floudas103 View Post
The word "quality" has many meanings so I do not know how each person translates it...

The quality of the materials and parts is there for sure... what I do not understand is why some small flaws (damperstay angle, soft screws, steering bellcrank) were not corrected from the factory.... and the owner/racer must modify to make it work at it's best!? if it is easy for me and you to see these flaws, then I am sure it was easier for Tamiya!

Also when you have such a good base (TRF511) people expect the new car to be a big improvement from the box.... is it????
Well, I do agree in most points. Above all, the screws are a big issue in my eyes as this problem is known for a long time.
I can't say anything about the steering problem by now as we only have an outdoor track here which is still being renewed and, most of all, the wether is, lets say, quite bad :-)
Old 22-02-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Really...

Please name one........
Old 22-02-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Martin View Post
Really...

Please name one........

I think with any car it takes a bit of time to get the set up right. Tweaking a few bits etc. I got a 511 late on, by that time I had a list of things I needed to get, hubs, steerting brace, weight kit, springs....

The 502 is still a new car, most drivers have had very little time to run the car properly on all surfaces, I would say it's too early to say if the top boys will be going back to the 511.
Old 22-02-2011

I'm waiting for the TRF512
Old 22-02-2011

Sounds a little like the classic bullshit on that always go with a new car.
The car is just a few months old and it has not even had a chance at the track yet. Give this car a bit more time to prove its worth before you talk shit about it. Then I have difficulty understanding me in some who are discussing how bad the car is when it in fact they not even have the car.
I just bought a 502 and do not hesitate one second on it. The only negative is the spare parts availability. Have just changed from Durango to this car.
Old 22-02-2011
Mad Member

A bit gutted to read this, im not the best with car setups etc and sometimes all of this shizzle really confuses me!!

On the other hand, if the car is crap and not designed right im sure Lee Martin/Tamyia will fix it, let us all know what to do with it then it will be even quicker cos mine was awesome last weekend!

Actually, im over the moon its got problems as i will be quicker again when its sorted!!
Xb2 CE
Www.tqmodels.co.uk

See My Feedback
Old 22-02-2011

Nobody said the 502 is crap or shit...
we just discuss if it is better than the 511! a step forward!
and as mentioned we all agree that both cars are at the top of our list for 4wd buggy.
we just don't understand why some small flaws were not corrected so it can be "perfect"!

We are all in this thread because we have chosen Tamiya and most definite will buy again Tamiya!
Old 22-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yeah agree with the last post, I don't see a problem with discussing it's flaws, I can't stand threads where everyone has to either claim perfection, or it's rubbish, and nothing in-between! I haven't said it's slower than a 511 either, not convinced either way yet!

For myself, a wishlist of hopups/changes would be:

1. Someone to design a wedge system for the front tower to angle it with the kickup (probably need a new tower too for that!)?

2. Aluminium steering, the 511 Ali steering arm had a better bearing fit which meant slop could be reduced. The 502 steering slop is horrific! If possible angle it too!

3. Carbon thinner camber link mounts to enable lower inner positions!

4. Diff height option (not sure it's doable)

5. Gear diffs!

6. Bigbores for bling!!
Old 22-02-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

i think Viktor, Marc and lee's results on the FIRST outing with the car at the petit speak for themselves! 3 in the top ten of a very competitive meeting.
My only issue with the car is parts availability (some bits) at the moment. this is being sorted by a few people.
i think lee winning a few rounds at the reedy race against the best in the world shows the cars pace

Amish, the alloy steering linkage has been done and angled forward speak nicely to who i pm you and i'm sure he might help you out