Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 11-09-2011
Mad Member

Daz, I'm sending you pm about some parts I'm selling
Old 29-10-2011

Cool CAT with a Sting in its tail..

I've acquired some more Cat bits and bobs... Most interestingly a WASP rear transmission, this is geared, rather than the usual belt configuration. It feels real smooth, with very little drag compared to the belts..

There is also a WASP Front Differential, I'll be taking that out soon for a closer inspection. This is encased in a WASP Front Diff Housing too. I believe the alloy crash back pivot brackets (Which are also aluminium items) are again WASP.

Kaszal is interested in taking a look, and hopefully others will be interested too. I've took some pics for all to see.

I've posted the articles in another thread with regards to WASP components, but I'm also attaching it here for completeness. I'm looking forward to running this one, but i'll be taking my time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0277.jpg (37.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0280.jpg (44.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0284.jpg (38.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0278.jpg (42.9 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg WASP Pg1.jpg (195.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg WASP Pg2.jpg (243.9 KB, 47 views)
Old 29-10-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
I've acquired some more Cat bits and bobs... Most interestingly a WASP rear transmission, this is geared, rather than the usual belt configuration. It feels real smooth, with very little drag compared to the belts..

There is also a WASP Front Differential, I'll be taking that out soon for a closer inspection. This is encased in a WASP Front Diff Housing too. I believe the alloy crash back pivot brackets (Which are also aluminium items) are again WASP.

Kaszal is interested in taking a look, and hopefully others will be interested too. I've took some pics for all to see.

I've posted the articles in another thread with regards to WASP components, but I'm also attaching it here for completeness. I'm looking forward to running this one, but i'll be taking my time
very very sexy pics...

mvh Isobarik
Old 29-10-2011

Default This diff has got some balls..

I've dropped the front diff out, to my surprise, the ball bearings used are HUGE!

11/64" or lets say 4.4mm Diameter for the metric bods.. A little bit bigger than what we are used too.

It only has 6 fitted, could be to reduce rotating mass etc. not sure. Does anybody have a WASP Diff with assembly instructions? Or remember what was the done thing back in the day?

It's also got rather nice pressure plates..

I wonder if the diff in the rear geared transmission holds any surprises?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0289.jpg (53.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0288.jpg (49.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0287.jpg (43.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0286.jpg (52.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0290.jpg (52.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 29-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
very very sexy pics...

mvh Isobarik

Yes, those Durango pit mats sure are the business
Old 29-10-2011

The rear diff had a few surprises, here are the pics.

For reference, It has 15off 3mm Diff balls and a standard thrust race assy, and you probably cant see from the pics, but the diff has two bearings either side, one large where the diff body runs on, and the inner which are as per a standard diff.

I've also included a couple of pics showing the Alloy front transmission housing and crash back / belt tensioning brackets.

That Buds Racing Products belt looks the business too... (Thanks Kaszal)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0291.jpg (96.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0292.jpg (43.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0293.jpg (66.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0294.jpg (44.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0295.jpg (33.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0296.jpg (28.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0298.jpg (90.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0299.jpg (27.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 29-10-2011
Mad Member

Awesome WASP goodies

Potentially, you could have the most bullet proof Procat transmission in the world

Will you go the whole hog and fit ceramic balls and bearings all round? roulementpassion on eBay France do a good range of rubber sealed hybrids. Might also be worth sanding those diff plates, depending on their state of wear. I sent mine to B-Fast for flattening/grinding and it makes a big difference. I use U1631 outdrives, which are excellent for locking the diff axles and keeping the thrust bearings sealed.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come across such a rare find? I was just wondering also, do the gears need grease? I would suppose not otherwise it would get on the belt.

Great looking project you got there
Old 29-10-2011

Thanks for the Reply Luke,

I'll be taking myself a look at the roulementpassion e-bay shop for certain, as a couple of the bearings definitely need to be replaced.

I need to find myself something to prep the diff plates, as they don't have removable plates, and there is a centre spigot which would prevent it sitting flat on some wet & dry as per usual techniques... Maybe I need a piece of class with a hole in the middle... A small bridge to cross. Because of this, I'm not sure B Fast would grind them.

I may put the tiniest amount of Tamiya Ceramic grease on the gears, as you say, I don't want it on the belt. I also don't want it mixing it up with dust and dirt to make a grinding paste..

I'll take a look at the out drives you are suggesting too, I'm sure they're listed in your ongoing post, but maybe you can advise which chassis they originate from, and advise on the availability.
Old 29-10-2011
Mad Member

U1631 appear to be stock at Schumacher. I think they're from the Big 6. You might need to dremel the front suspension uprights to use them. The disadvantage is that they shorten, and therefore increase the angle of, the driveshafts. However, there is no need for an M3 nut as the whole thing is a plastic locking nut... so the diff never comes undone.

The bearings I have are Abec 5 ceramic hybrid with nice blue seals (spot the front axle crush spacers)

Old 29-10-2011

Some nice fresh plastic out drives might be the order of the day with this high torque gearbox. Thanks for that.

I presume the thrust races are available too then?
Old 29-10-2011
Mad Member

They do the thrust bearings too but there are probably cheaper on eBay.

You might need two packs if the diff axle is 1/8" (3.1mm)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUTEE-BILL...#ht_801wt_1110

I noticed the slipper spur is a bit worn, would it take an RW supalite spur?

Old 29-10-2011

Luke, The spur is well past its best. I've only put it on to keep all the slipper parts together. I'm told the WASP Slipper isn't much use really, but I will be looking at modifying some other slipper plates to put on there (Larger diameter / friction bearing surface) and then a suitable spur. I would say the RW Superlight spur would fit, but it might just melt. I won't be able to use the boss cat slipper for obvious internal reasons.. I might try one though, what's the worst that could happen
Old 29-10-2011
Mad Member

You could also replace the nylon posts with brass ones like these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M3-Threade...#ht_1685wt_905

I'm not sure if 25mm is the correct length

Old 29-10-2011

I've pushed the boat out and brought some... you've got a good memory, I've measured up and the 25mm posts will be just nice.
Old 31-10-2011

Hi guys, it brings back many memories looking at these photos. I remember being in the engineering works making spur gears, stacking all those wheels and building gearboxes.
Next time i'm at my mum and dads house i'll see if there are any other cat bits.

Good to see the Wasp stuff is still out there and that most of the things said about it are good.

Thanks to Dazzler for PM ing me to have a look

Mark
Old 06-11-2011
Mad Member

Wow, the WASP geared transmission was a nice piece of engineering. Do you know how many were sold? Must have been expensive to buy back in the 90s. I wonder are there any others still around? This is only the second one I've seen.
Old 06-11-2011

I think there will be quite a few around really, just stuck in sheds and garages...

The rear geared transmission was £78.00 new from WASP, and the slipper clutch was £22.00. The geared transmissions were available for cougars too for the same price...

This stuff is all in the mags from 1990.

Just flicked through to check this out and found some tip and tricks type sections for the Procat, when I get chance, I'll try and get them posted up so you can feast your eyes!
Old 06-11-2011
Mad Member

Yes please, thanks Daz.

Hah, in 1990 I was doing my GCSEs I think.
Old 07-11-2011

Thumbs up

I was going to ask how the build was going, I never had it apart so I'm amazed by the engineering involved!
Old 08-11-2011

Ian, the build is taking one step forward and two back at the moment... As it needs a little tlc to sort a few notchy bearings and surface corrosion to diff balls. But no big deal, just they are not something I have to hand, so need to get round to ordering what I need.

I've brought Kaszals orange Procat shell from him, so I have that to use, and I'm deciding what exactly to order from team bluegroove so I can combine postage on shells, undertrays, wings and belt covers for a few projects...