Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > WRCA

Old 11-05-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default Proposed Stock Class for WRCA

So over on FB, Andy Cobley asked if there could be a stock class again.

The outcome was that, whilst a proposal at the agm would need to be voted in to create the class and specify the rules it would follow, it was suggested that those who were interested should try it out at Caldicot's round next month.

The thinking is it should be a blinky speedo with either 10.5 or 13.5, that's why trying the options out was suggested.
If a minimum of 6 entries are received for caldi then the heat can run. (Wouldn't count towards brca licence though).

Craig McDonald is also keen on this and started playing with proposal wording, but there's no rush with this as the agm won't be until after the season is over.
Old 12-05-2016

Couple of questions ,
1 Are cars limited to 1 set of tyres per meeting ( 1wet, 1dry)
2 Should be 13.5 as a few of us are already running slower motors than 10.5.
3 Are we all sure this is to attract new members and cut costs or is it a class being created to have more winners ?
Only asking as I think its a good idea but question the motives behind it. I know there seems to be an issue with first corner incidents but is the answer having 10 cars with hardly any speed difference arriving there at the same time ?
Just my opinion and as I say welcome it in theory , Andrew.
I should just add I have done 3 welsh events , one last year and two this year and the welcome has been amazing , really friendly well run events and I have enjoyed every minute of every round.

Last edited by Novice; 12-05-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-05-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I can't speak for Andy (& don't believe he's on oople) but the gist of the discussions on FB was to try and attract more people to racing in the wrca.

This is not something that the wrca committee have proposed and ultimately it's down to the Racers in the region to decide on. Including what motors are to be used.

The idea of running a heat at Caldi is to give those interested in running a chance to both run the cars but also to let people discuss it offline!

Who knows, if it's successful then I would guess there's nothing to stop another heat at the remaining rounds - just like there would be a truck heat if there were sufficient entries.

Glad you're enjoying racing, I've got back into the wrca properly this year after a couple of seasons out and I'm enjoying the racing and the banter

Sorry just noticed your question about tyres, there's no limit to the number of tyres you can use.

Last edited by peetbee; 12-05-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-05-2016

having just raced in the iconic cup (tamiya eurocup revival) I had a reminder of how entertaining and tight a spec / stock class can be.

I do think 13.5 blinky would be a good choice, but we don't know how slow the cars will be on a grass surface - they might be too slow as some have already pointed out.

As far as tyres are concerned, less power = less tyre wear. Less power will also result in fewer breakages & less maintenance.

We could even go nuts and propose the use of harder compounds to drive down costs even further - schumacher still do blue compound minispikes...

The class could provide an entry point for beginners and also allow people to use older equipment. I suspect the racing will / would be incredibly close and fun

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddkA...ature=youtu.be - 17:20 for the start of the stock A final - check out how close it is!

Last edited by cjm_2008; 12-05-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm_2008 View Post
having just raced in the iconic cup (tamiya eurocup revival) I had a reminder of how entertaining and tight a spec / stock class can be.

I do think 13.5 blinky would be a good choice, but we don't know how slow the cars will be on a grass surface - they might be too slow as some have already pointed out.

As far as tyres are concerned, less power = less tyre wear. Less power will also result in fewer breakages & less maintenance.

We could even go nuts and propose the use of harder compounds to drive down costs even further - schumacher still do blue compound minispikes...

The class could provide an entry point for beginners and also allow people to use older equipment. I suspect the racing will / would be incredibly close and fun

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddkA...ature=youtu.be - 17:20 for the start of the stock A final - check out how close it is!
I agree 13.5 blinky would be good it would come back to old fashioned gear ratios and a control tyre like a blue would be excellent for close racing
Old 12-05-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

If you wanted to add more controls and if you wanted to have those items checked, then there would need to be additional people avaliable to scrutineer the class.

Also worth mentioning that as a separate class then results couldn't count towards your brca licence.
Old 27-05-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

I will speak from experience, 13.5 blinky will be to slow, 13.5 timed is ok but stresses the motor/esc out, 10.5 limit on blinky is far kinder on everything and will still give a 'reasonable' turn of pace on the large tracks like COBRA and Saundersfoot.

This is only from experience of running kids cars in both format. You would NEED to stick to being able to use yellows etc, wear and tare would be minimal and you want it about racing and not who can keep the car in a straight line.

I would be tempted to set up a KF2 with a 10.5 in blinky for a comparison.
Old 27-05-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post

This is only from experience of running kids cars in both format. You would NEED to stick to being able to use yellows etc, wear and tare would be minimal and you want it about racing and not who can keep the car in a straight line.

I would be tempted to set up a KF2 with a 10.5 in blinky for a comparison.
I'm planning to run one of my KF2s with a 10.5 as you suggest Steve, at Caldicot. I wouldn't be surprised if the laptimes weren't that far off the mod class!