Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 24-05-2012

Default TRF502 or TRF511

I suppose this question has come up in several threads already, but anyway.

After a few years with another make of car, I'm thinking about going back to a TRF car. I used to run the TRF501X untill 2009 and loved it !
The natural step would be to go to the TRF511 but I find it extremely hard to get my hands on a kit. They seem to be unobtainable at both the LHS or the known online stores. I wonder where you guys find those 511 kits.

However I can get a good deal on a TRF502, but I'm a bit hesitant since I read about a fair amount of issues with the 502 (steering lock, ackermann, bump steer, front shock geometry, easily cracked but hard to find gearcases, ...). And I always prefered belt cars in the past (they tend to be "smoother").

Is the TRF502 worth the gamble or should I continue the search for that elusive TRF511 kit ?
Old 24-05-2012

I think one of the most telling facts is that Lee Martin has gone back to the 511 for this year's nationals, and seems to be doing rather well with it, as usual.

I managed to find a bargain 511 on ebay. I don't think they sell them anymore, so second hand is the only option.

Great car, but then I've never driven a 502 to compare it with.

SilverstoneRCMCC
Old 25-05-2012

We run the 502 chassis at our clubs to great effect. Ive just taken the plunge aswell!
Old 25-05-2012
Mad Member

I run a 502 and I find it a great handling car. Yes it lacks a bit of steering but there are ways round it. They are pretty bullet proof too.

As for 511' I believe you can buy them in Japan And they have been re-released with geared diffs included along with ball diffs.

I'd imagine they would be expensive tho.

Dave
Reedy

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63097
Old 25-05-2012

2nd hand will be your best bet. The new kits with gear diffs are ridiculously expensive. I might by selling my 511 soon as its too nice to race
Old 26-05-2012

I tried several "unofficial" sources and it's official : you can't get a new TRF511 kit at the moment, not even the expensive kit with the gear diffs.

Second hand : everybody seems to hold on to their 511's at the moment.

What worries me about the 502 in terms of reliability is the front shock tower assembly. We race a lot on astro and i can see troubles ahead with front gearcase breakages and front shocktower cracks (my 501 front shocktower broke regurarly untill I started using a 3racing one. That never broke again). And the A-parts seems to be difficult to obtain and they are expensive. Also the new alu steering assembly is expensive.