Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 11-01-2015

Default why have buggies got so expensive?

been running a second hand cougar sv2 for a while thought i would buy a new shiney buggy what happened to the mid range buggies the only sub £200 buggy is a losi and ive fallen out with horizon that is off my shopping list i can buy a £50 team c basher or a £250+ top line racer is it just me or have the prices gone through the roof since the demise of ansmann
Old 11-01-2015

Well there is the Durango dex210 but probably better sticking with sv2 still a good car and still making them
Carisma gtb x2
Schumacher gt12 x2
Old 11-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Maybe ansmann being so cheap was the reason for them not being in business now?

There are "cheap" buggies about, hobao, durangos, older losi's, etc. Generally with the cheap stuff, you need to spend way more in excess of the kit price in upgrades to make them durable and competitive however.

It's not just kit price that you need to look at, but factor in price and availability of parts.

£200-£250 seems about the normal price for a racers spec kit, with the quality Japanese end being more expensive.

With new buggies coming and people refreshing their rides for the new season, there are plenty of decently priced second hand buggies about at competitive prices, often well looked after and maintained, with loads of spares, etc.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by neallewis; 11-01-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2015

Paul, Alex will sell you a firebolt for £199 or a B5M for £215 according to his website

(link below in sig, save you searching on google)
Old 12-01-2015

maybe yokomo bmax2 will come down in price soon?tamiya do some cheap 2wd buggies.i'll try anything cheap.not really fussed about brands.what you need is to find someone who has a load of boxed buggies in their loft doing nothing and make them an offer on one.there must me someone.......
Old 12-01-2015
Mad Member

I agree, it seems like buggies have become more expensive. I would say it's down to the explosion of brands that have joined the class. Ok, it seems the class may have become more popular too, but currently every brand has to work actively on new developments to stay in the game, not to mention that they are fighting for what is probably a smaller market share than a few years ago - at least for the big brands like Associated.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 12-01-2015

firebolts seem to be very fragile durango are under administration the sv2 is still current just its ready to be upgraded or dropped yokomo's are £300 +kyosho even more tamiya dont make a competative 2wd any more ae used to do team and factory team models not any more looks like i stick with what i have or start doing the lottery
Old 12-01-2015

you don't need a factoryteam/team version of any car paul.any car can be reasonably competitive given a decent set up.take me for example,for years I always had the newest, fastest most expensive kit going and I still couldn't drive for toffee.after a five year break I come back with a 1st version 210 in 540 class,it hasn' t been the fastest car but it handles everything really well.my 4wd car is a b44.1 in blinky class and that's going ok.my yokomo is a v1,and that's ok.none of these cost over £160 and as yet I havn't blinged any up.i even use mtronics speedos in all my 540 cars.
Old 12-01-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenbutkrap View Post
firebolts seem to be very fragile durango are under administration the sv2 is still current just its ready to be upgraded or dropped yokomo's are £300 +kyosho even more tamiya dont make a competative 2wd any more ae used to do team and factory team models not any more looks like i stick with what i have or start doing the lottery
a bit off topic but is Durango in administration?
Old 12-01-2015

Default Cougar KF's

Loads of these on Oople trade room in good nick good prices top buggy. Get one of these but make sure it has shorty conversion included unless you are running indoor on astro all the time.
Old 12-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Brewer View Post
a bit off topic but is Durango in administration?
No. Durango is not in administration.

I really wish people would check their facts before posting.

Don't believe all you read on the internet!
Old 12-01-2015
Mad Member

"Keenbutreallybadlyinformedandjustmakingstuffu p"?

Think that sums it up.

And it may well be that it's actually quite hard to make a competitive buggy, cheaply, make some profit and stay in business. Especially with the huge number of new buggies going into a similar sized marketplace. Got to make a profit somehow. Or are you expecting them to give buggies away?

And FWIW the cost of a competitive buggy, compared to 20 odd years ago hasn't really increased that much, certainly well behind inflation. 2WD or 4WD.
Old 12-01-2015

I agree cars have not gone up with inflation and are not far of the price of a buggy 20 years ago. But why is the new yokomo yz2 just over £100 more than a B5 but yet very similar in design. Not the way it might go on track but production wise.
Old 12-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post

Think that sums it up.

And it may well be that it's actually quite hard to make a competitive buggy, cheaply, make some profit and stay in business. Especially with the huge number of new buggies going into a similar sized marketplace. Got to make a profit somehow. Or are you expecting them to give buggies away?

And FWIW the cost of a competitive buggy, compared to 20 odd years ago hasn't really increased that much, certainly well behind inflation. 2WD or 4WD.
Totally agree.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-01-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-J View Post
I agree cars have not gone up with inflation and are not far of the price of a buggy 20 years ago. But why is the new yokomo yz2 just over £100 more than a B5 but yet very similar in design. Not the way it might go on track but production wise.
Don't quote me on it, but I seem to recall that when the B5M came out, the first call was from people saying "when will a factory team version be out so we don't have to buy all the alloy bits separate", while the YZ-2 seems to come with all the alloy bling included?

I don't have either car so can't say for certain, but that is the impression I have

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 12-01-2015

Default Cheaper

I would say there cheaper than 20 yrs ago! 20 yrs ago I spent £280 ( hard earned pocket money. ! ) on my cat2000 when it came out and that was with 0 carbon fibre on it... Now you can pick up a full carbon fibre b44.3 for £300 so given inflation etc it's cheaper for what you get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post

Think that sums it up.

http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153192

Feedback ebay:
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...=szymanski2oo1

Linkedin:
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanszymanski

Old 12-01-2015
Mad Member

Problem solved - £189.99

Team C TC02C Evo - link below

http://insidelineracing.co.uk/inside...-motor-buggy-p
Old 12-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy555 View Post
Problem solved - £189.99

Team C TC02C Evo - link below

http://insidelineracing.co.uk/inside...-motor-buggy-p
Yep I think you're right what a bargain!
Old 12-01-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I agree with some of the above, what we now expect from a modern high end competition buggy takes quite a bit ofR&D etc etc and as has been said they have not gone up to much compared to many other day to day things over the past 20 years, but the thing is how much are we the club racer prepared to pay for our cars, I have drawn the line in 4wd I would love a Kyosho ZX6 but I just can't warrant that sort of cost on a buggy! I think in the end thats going to be the question/problem for manufacturers is, what we want, what it costs to create and what we can all as a worldwide hobby afford per car?

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 12-01-2015
SHRCCC Legend

75% cheaper than they were in 1990!