Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Faversham Off Road Car Club

Old 26-11-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Dms are happy to help with the Ballistic range but need to talk to Les/Ed to see what they used etc

We just need to get some tyres on rims and let various drivers test them out, maybe we can have a 10 min slot in practice with a range of drivers 1 x PT and see what the lap times compare from full spikes to the test tyre, be interesting........ or am I being sad lol!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 26-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkclifford View Post
I know Elliott was having problems as well.

That makes me feel much better!!! Haha
Anything that gose wrong with me always makes you feel happy
As for tiers, iv been trying to run them in for the last 9 weeks in practice but they are the worse set of tiers i have owned. This past wednesday there was signs of them finally gripping which gave me a better night then i have had the last few weeks, funny that because James said to me as the christmas tree was on the stage " Ask santa for some Grip " well he gave me some for the night and i BEAT you lol haha

Anyway the racing was good between me & you, i enjoyed it.
Old 26-11-2011

Silly question time
But are you sure its the tyres not the new varnish they have used on the floor.
i bet the new varnish is more pu based so taking less rubber, thus more wheel spin an higher wear.
The dboots pin tyre were mega at moto arena but didnt work at fav.
Old 26-11-2011

My old.bald set still grip well but let go.on the fast sweepers,

New tyres are just plain shit and neary worn out!!!

Wearing but not gripping.
Old 26-11-2011

So the old tyres have no sidebite due to being no spike left, an new ones are just sliding on the floor thus increased wear.
it was very noticable in the first laps of practise car very loose an as rubber goes down the grip increases but round 3 was like oil had been down.
Pins would be my choice but we would have to live with increased wear but a tyre that works from new.
We are one of the only clubs that use the full spike, but loads of clubs run on polished wood
i know i dont race every week but mine are the same set i started with on the sx3 since it came out and are ok
Old 26-11-2011
Mad Member

hey chaps

missed you all this week it frustrates me the wearing in prosses but the reasons your tyres are taking so long your cars just do not generate its on traction les will agree on this as both my self and edd can wear tyres in up to speed in 4weeks practice and wear tham out again in 4 weeks racing.

sch make a softer compound to yellows (silvers) it would be nice to have a tyre that grips straight off but the tyres will still get faster as there bed in.

if we had to choose id go foe mini spikes.

stu
Old 28-11-2011

hi
we have got a set of 4wd ballistic buggy tyres in white compound that we have used in the first round of the winter series if any body want to try them just let us know.
the D-BOOTS that we used were the terrabyte in A compound but we have the multibyte in B compound in the shop if anybody wants to try them?
xtreme
Old 30-11-2011
Mad Member

now that was a intresting evening ran mini spikes all night along with neil i was using pre glued versions mine had one more practice run than neils but all in all very good.

are they as fast as prime full spike no not quite do they wear in faster yes myself and neil will keep a tally on how many runs they have done so far ive done 5 runs a neil has doine 4

check out the results

stu
Old 01-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
now that was a intresting evening ran mini spikes all night along with neil i was using pre glued versions mine had one more practice run than neils but all in all very good.

are they as fast as prime full spike no not quite do they wear in faster yes myself and neil will keep a tally on how many runs they have done so far ive done 5 runs a neil has doine 4

check out the results

stu

hi
ed was on a new set on full spike lastnight
xtreme-rc
Old 01-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

So whats the verdict on the mini spikes??

Any ideas on inserts??

What if any set up changes are made to use them??

From what I saw last night they looked pretty good out the pack, good drive but looked a little down on side bite compared to the full spike?

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 01-12-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme-rc View Post
hi
ed was on a new set on full spike lastnight
xtreme-rc
cool were they scrubed or taken out the packet and bolted on.

stu
Old 01-12-2011

I know I started this but a few thins to concider,

1) The temperature has definatly droped recently this has got to affect the overall grip.

2) If we dich using full spikes, and smaker stop making them and we want to go back to them we might not be able to get them (only a few clubs still using them)

3) Can everybody afford the accelerated cost of mini spikes.

4) Should the top 25% of the club who hate being off pace dictate the tyre choice to the other 75% who wouldn't notice a bad set of full spikes.

Something to think about!!
Old 01-12-2011

I'd have to agree with James,

I know that I could go quicker and do more laps if I turned my car down a little, boost etc. however I have left it as it is as I want to learn to drive more smoothly with me controlling the throttle.

I could also go quicker if I didn't hit those ropes that people leave out in the hall and secondly if the marshalls were a little quicker.. sorry, joke lol

Going back to your comment about the top 25% of drivers wanting more grip, I would have to say that it's probably better to leave it as it is, ie. NO control tyre.

You can use what ever make/design/compound/additive you like and then set your car up to go as quickly as you can. If there is someone out there quicker then I can't say it is soley down to just the tyres but it must have something to do with ALL factors; I have seen some awesome racing moves by loads of different people and there are quite a few different cars being run. The tracks are, normally, quite different from one week to another and one week you can be really up for it (racing that is!) and then sometimes you just can't string two decent heats together. (again, I'm talking about myself not the top 20 drivers who find racing really easy!)

Personally I want to get faster and do more laps and challenge the better drivers but I also go racing to have fun and meet with like minded people..

I'm sticking with the full spike in yellow compound and when they run out I'll put another set on and carry on,

cheers for reading even though I probably bored you all to tears.. lol

Scott..
Old 01-12-2011

In short if the top drivers want to stay at the top they have to put the ground work in, you don't wear your current tyres out then start to run in a new set you've got to start running them in 1 round a week for 5 weeks before you need them.

Or the alternative seems to be make life easy at everyones expense.
as a club average how long do full spikes last? you can garantee you will get 30% to 50% from mini spikes potentially doubling the tyre bill.

And the truth...........the overall results will still be the same!!!
Old 01-12-2011
Mad Member

i almost agree with both points from james and scott ultimatly for ultimate pace a scrubed set of prime fulls are fastest but the point here is to make the racing closer and agro free which as it stands cutting ribs out scrubbing in for weeks on end using addative (scott) just to be quicker than the rest for 2/3 weeks and then start again

i am getting 4 weeks out of a prime set of fulls i own them for 8 weeks i spend 30mins cutting ribs and trimming down then 10 mins scrubbing the tops off on the carpark then spend 4 weeks practice shaping them to be some where near prime just to get 4 weeks of excelent grip which 90% of the time there is no chalenge cos my tyres are that much faster.

or as i am cuurently trying i have a new set of pre glued schu mini spikes i have used in one practice and a wednesday meeting a total of 5 runs on track no preping just bolt them on i would love to have a control tyre pre glued but as it stands a free choice is good my view is we shouldn't be to hasty to say this is the tyre we must use, i agree with james keep the cost low let the drivers choose for now and get a feel

i will probably be running mini spikes on club nights as i like the feel and if it levels the playing field even better.

i wrekon one of 6 drivers could have won last night, round by round however screwed that up but thats a differnt debate.

it will be intresting to see how things pan out over the winter.

stu

oh one other thing a bad point to not preping tyres i would need to spend more time with the wife LOL
Old 01-12-2011

if next Wednesday all the A are running minispikes, the following wednesday the B and half the C will be using them. first meeting back after christmas there wont be a full spike at faversham!

Maybee the way to look at this os tje same as brushless / lipo. In the begining most people were not convinced. But isn't racing soooooo simple now? take away the tyre prep Saga, no one likes spending weeks on crap tyres! it might improve the whole overall atmosphere a bit, who knows!
Old 01-12-2011

Must agree Stu.
i will also run them from now on except the winter series as prime full spikes are quicker.
But as proved last night no messing about running them in and still finished near the top, and they don't look to worn either strange that, but if they do only last 2/3 weeks then i may have to re think due to costs we will have to wait and see!
Stu when i arrived Ed was outside scrubbing so they must have been fair new.
James not going to get in a mass forum debate but you were for several weeks slagging full spikes off and saying we need something else and now you sound as though your not that intrested in changing.
People need to read threads as the trial of minispikes is in no way trying to find a quicker tyre all we are wanting FOR ALL is a hassle free tyre that people can pay there money and enjoy several weeks of racing and then buy anouther set and be as quick without 4/5 etc weeks of no grip.
We buy a full spike at the same money as a minispike then try as quick as poss to burn half the rubber off why!.
i for one can't be assed to argue on here, just going to do my own thing and for me the mini spkes are good if something else comes up and meets the requirements then i will watch in great intrest.
Mark setup, changed nothing on the car stuck medium inserts in may need a harder insert.

whoops sorry James missed your last post, what was i saying about reading posts.

Last edited by gav4wd; 01-12-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: need to go to spec savers!
Old 01-12-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I may give some a try when all my hand me down full spikes are bald, I was pretty impressed out of the pack

As for a control tyre, I dont mind either way, they cost the same per pair but be interesting to see the life Stu/Neil get...............

One good thing is atleast you can use mini spikes else where, carpet/grass etc

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 01-12-2011

Neil, as you know I personly detest full spikes!! What I didn't like last night was the way "Controll tyre" was being banded about, for racers on a budget I think it would be unfair to force a tyre of no benafit to them and cost more.

Maybee if a lock down on the practice time comes into play so you dont get to spend hours running full spikes in, the top half of the club will all be on mini spikes.

Next week I'll be on minis.
Old 01-12-2011
Mad Member

hey mark

setup changes i altered a couple of things i did run a one way layshaft in round one it was ok but was difficult off power. i locked that for round two i moved the rear shocks in on the lower arm to make the car sqaure up faster and put a 2mm shim in the front akerman to generate better mid corner no in put steering (arc). the car was still laking off power steering but very good for round three i changed from 4deg rear toe down to 2 deg rear toe this achived the off power steering required but the on throttle forward traction wasn't as good i know where the car is lacking and it will be sorted.

for me these are very minor changes what i am expecting as the tyres shape the grip will get better and the car will have more grip front and rear but for new tyres all good.

stu