Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 13-01-2013

Default outdoors?

With the next indoors 3 weeks away, how about an outdoor meeting in between? Need to be racing more than once a month.The weather last couple of sundays has been ok, anyone else think this is a good idea this week or next week?
Old 13-01-2013

Its pretty weather dependant, so the question has always been, at what point do we say "yes, meeting is on" or off? Turnouts can be low outdoors in winter even if it's fine and dry, just because it's cold spending all day outdoors. That said, used to run outdoors all year round, and i miss that personally.

Funny that you mention this on a day when we've had snow flurries
Old 13-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Its pretty weather dependant, so the question has always been, at what point do we say "yes, meeting is on" or off? Turnouts can be low outdoors in winter even if it's fine and dry, just because it's cold spending all day outdoors. That said, used to run outdoors all year round, and i miss that personally.

Funny that you mention this on a day when we've had snow flurries
was glorious till about 3pm though. definatly could have ran an outdoor meeting today. i think if we look at the forcast on friday, then make decisions..
Old 13-01-2013

im up for it
Sworkz
Bury metro
Old 13-01-2013

I'd be up for it also. I suppose we could start a thread in the week proceeding that people can put their name's on if they are going to come and if we have a decent amount see if Roger is available to run the meeting. Its not really worth going up there if there is only a handful of us so some sort of pre booking (without payment of course) would be useful

Chris
Old 14-01-2013

Hi all, I'm new to RC Racing as well as the forum,
Id just like to say that I went down to the track on friday-sat and sunday this weekend (I like getting practice in so I dont look like a total novice at the next indoor meeting)

Friday it rained in the morning so the track was very wet,
Sat I left it till about 2.30 to let the sun dry off the track, which it did and i had a great blast around, even got my Vantage to pop a few wheelies.
Sunday nice morning in Middleton but the track was soaked when I got there about 2pm, luckily no cars in the car park so I just had a car park bash and wore my stock tires down to almost slicks,

so even if it does look nice, the track yesterday was still wet.
having said that though Id still come down to watch/meet you guys/girls just not race on the track when its wet

Old 14-01-2013
Mad Member

Nothing wrong with wet racing, makes you a better driver. I'd rather it would be very wet than greasy the car grips more believe it or not
Old 14-01-2013
Mad Member

Problem we've got though is as we'd decided not to race outdoor well in advance and decided only to do 7 meetings over winter and other clubs e.g southport are racing indoors every week and on astro we'll struggle to leave people hanging on not knowing all week whether or not racing is on, whereas at southport you know every single week racing will definately be on and you'll be warm and dry. Hence why I'll be there this weekend
Old 14-01-2013

Yeah, but Southport is too far for many of us. In this weather I'd just be an icicle on a bike by the time I got there, similarly for people on public transport.
Old 14-01-2013

Default i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by losichris View Post
With the next indoors 3 weeks away, how about an outdoor meeting in between? Need to be racing more than once a month.The weather last couple of sundays has been ok, anyone else think this is a good idea this week or next week?
i second that
Old 14-01-2013

Default car share

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Yeah, but Southport is too far for many of us. In this weather I'd just be an icicle on a bike by the time I got there, similarly for people on public transport.
could all car share?
Old 14-01-2013

I go to Southport simply because Bury isn't racing but if we were on I would. Why don't we set a date for a few Sunday's time and try to drum up some interest in a one off winter meeting, if it goes well and people enjoy themselves gauge whether it would be worth putting a meeting on the following week weather permitting. There isn't all that many places to race through the winter around here so if we give enough notice those who want to race will make the effort I'm sure as they do with the indoor meetings.

The only way to gauge interest properly is to say we are willing to hold a meeting on x date and ask who would be available to attend. I don't see why we can't get 20-30 drivers who would fancy a bit of a run outdoors.

Chris
Old 14-01-2013
Mad Member

Yeah that would be cool but we have to pick a Sunday that doesn't clash with chad mainly and turf wars at southport ideally to ensure a decent turn out.
Old 15-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by losichris View Post
I'd be up for it, once a month is to long to wait !!
B44.3
Renault Clio 1.5 Speed machine
Sanwa