Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 11-12-2012

Default what tyres

ow do lads, I'm coming racing this Sunday and was wondering what tyres are best for the indoor track as I've not raced there before.

Cheers

Matt
B44.3
Renault Clio 1.5 Speed machine
Sanwa
Old 11-12-2012

Round ones will work ok Matt !!
Old 11-12-2012

2wd... either staggers or cut staggers up front and either well worn minispikes or minipins on the rear. I prefer minispikes worn to the point you'd throw them in the bin outdoors, as the bald centre section grips well on the shiny floor. Pins grip on the carpet but not so good on the slippy.
Old 11-12-2012

thanks a lot mate
B44.3
Renault Clio 1.5 Speed machine
Sanwa
Old 11-12-2012

Most of the 2wd A-Finalists have been running Schumacher yellow cut staggers or minipins on the front and Schumacher yellow minipins on the rear. Nothing seems all that grippy on the slippy stuff its just about being smooth.

Chris
Old 11-12-2012
Mad Member

Agree with Chris yellow mini pins on rear and front with the outside row inside and out side cut off on the fronts or yellow cut staggers front
Old 15-01-2013

Default Outdoor tyres?

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what tires you use for the outdoor track?
I bought a set of mini pins for the indoor racing in Feb and have now worn out my stock tires on my FTX Vantage,

having read a few posts it seems people like to go for mini spikes front and rear for outdoor track although I wonder if full spikes would be better on the rear? i don't know as I've only seen pictures its hard to tell how big the spikes are.

I'm also interested to see if any one has a recommendation for tarmac tires (it seems easier for me to find dry tarmac than dry astroturf!

Diago999
Old 15-01-2013
Mad Member

definitley do not use full spikes they're for long grass racing. basically schumacher yellow mini spikes on dry, ballistic green minispike in wet 2wd use cut staggers in yellow in dry green in wet, 4wd use mini spikes all round. in the same compounds as 2wd
Old 15-01-2013

Hi Gav

While your on the subject of tyres. Can I ask in regards to the cut staggers? Do you need inserts in them?

I'm Gettin some at weekend but I'm unsure if they require inserts

Thanks
Old 15-01-2013
Mad Member

I use low profile yellow cut staggers in dry without inserts, and standard cut staggers full width of the front wheels with inserts in green compound in the wet and its usually golden
Old 15-01-2013

That brilliant cheers for that mate

One last thing haha, is any super glue (CA) ok to glue tyres to rims or do you need a specific glue for them?

Thanks
Old 15-01-2013

Any will do, all much the same stuff in varying thicknesses. give it plenty of time to dry, it doesn.t dry as quickly as you might think inside the bead.
Old 15-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Tyre specific glue is just runnier, which means its spreads better around the wheel. If using thicker glue make sure it goes all the way round the bead.

Tyre wise in the dry our astro track is mega grippy to the point we often trim down regular yellow minispikes as they have too much bite. Even fairly worn sets - and sometimes minipins will work in the dry.

Tarmac tyres are not something most of us really bother with - we don't race on tarmac so at best its for occasional bashing about. Racing does tend to leave you with lots of sets of worn race tyres, which is what I use for messing about on tarmac. No point spending money when you have a ready supply of nearly slick tyres you'd bin otherwise.
Just bash them till the carcass shows, then cut them open to get the inserts out. Soak the wheels in acetone for a few days and pull the rest of the tyre off to recycle the wheel and buy a fresh set of minispikes to glue on.....

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 16-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Tyre specific glue is just runnier, which means its spreads better around the wheel. If using thicker glue make sure it goes all the way round the bead.
Pound shop superglue is really runny... and 6 bottles for £1
Old 16-01-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post

Tyre wise in the dry our astro track is mega grippy to the point we often trim down regular yellow minispikes as they have too much bite. Even fairly worn sets - and sometimes minipins will work in the dry.

Tarmac tyres are not something most of us really bother with - we don't race on tarmac so at best its for occasional bashing about. Racing does tend to leave you with lots of sets of worn race tyres, which is what I use for messing about on tarmac. No point spending money when you have a ready supply of nearly slick tyres you'd bin otherwise.
Just bash them till the carcass shows, then cut them open to get the inserts out. Soak the wheels in acetone for a few days and pull the rest of the tyre off to recycle the wheel and buy a fresh set of minispikes to glue on.....
Or on days like that use greens or even blues to scrub off some grip