Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 27-04-2008

Default 1/18 buggy advice please

hi am am looking to buy an 1/18 buggy to race on an astro turf track this summer and also on indoor carpet tracks too a lot of the guys are running ftx blaze buggys what do u guys reccomend also if any one has one for sale i may be interested
Old 27-04-2008
Mad Member

18th scale don't fare too well on astro turf. The Blaze is probably the best 18th scale platform out there but try and get the truggy version (also known as the Vendetta ST in the US) and then just put a buggy on it if you don't like the truck look. It's wider and more stable so it will handle slightly bigger bumps and tracks.
Old 28-04-2008

ok cool it is mainly for the indoor really so do u think the truggy is best then
Old 28-04-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Alot of people use the truggy but fit a buggy bodyshell to it looks like a buggy but has the wide track of the truggy to make it more stable.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 28-04-2008

If you stuggle to get an ST version, you can do what I do and run the standard Blaze, but run 4mm offset touring car wheels, does'nt make it as wide as the ST, but it all helps, but I find it easier to get spares for standard buggy. Only had mine a few weeks but I am pretty happy with the way it drives so far.
Old 28-04-2008
Administrator

I think indoors the Xray is pretty sweet but there's no direct buggy body for it if you want to go that route (I might try 'buggy' it sometime)

I do like the look of craig harris' blaze based car, but it would cost a lot more than the Xray to get one the same I think.
Old 28-04-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
I think indoors the Xray is pretty sweet but there's no direct buggy body for it if you want to go that route (I might try 'buggy' it sometime)

I do like the look of craig harris' blaze based car, but it would cost a lot more than the Xray to get one the same I think.

Craigs got the LRP Shark Pro, I think they are about £160ish if you can get them. But it is awesome, he let me run it at club the other week, thats whet got me into micro.
Old 28-04-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Ben is spot on, LRP Shark 18 Monster Pro. It's £160 odd from AMC, but I have run the car box stock (apart from the Kamtec buggy shell) and it has everything you could wish for. It's not RTR so you need to get radio, motor, battery, charger etc.

You can bolt TC wheels straight on but the stock tyres are pretty good on astro.
Old 28-04-2008
Administrator

that's not bad, I thought it was a lot more than that - wasn't sure what you had to do to it craig. The other blazes don't come with all that goodness though do they? The Xray is cheaper but doesn't have the proven track record - have to say I think its very good though. Not sure what the old one was like. Welcome to have a go if you want craig.
You ever do anything with the nitro 18th chassis stuff? were you going to try make something 'one off' ?
Old 29-04-2008
Mad Member

You can get the truggy version (called the Vendetta ST) from the US for not a lot of money, check Towerhobbies.

I think the Xray is a pretty sweet car (has to be with all that carbon bling ) but it's much lighter and not as consistent as the Blaze varients. Blaze's seems to be much easier to drive. The Blaze varients are also much better supported when racing so you'll find spares easier.
Old 01-05-2008

thanks for the advice i will keep a look out for a blaze or vendetta
Old 01-05-2008
Administrator

I have to say My M18T pro was packing a little lead - and it's no smaller than the blaze, so if you want a heavy stable car you have the freedom to put lead where you want on the m18T pro - you can also build proper packs of cells for it! haha

I just got my JConcepts mini BJ4 shell tonight - I wasn't sure it would fit but its a VERY good fit from the looks of it - I'll get some photos when I get chance

edit - just cut out the shell - not painted it of course yet, but it's a great fit on the Xray and looks super mean! I'll add a bit to the review with the shell and what lines to use as it needs cutting a little different to the mould lines.

Last edited by jimmy; 01-05-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

How you gonna hold that onto the chassis jimmy?
Old 02-05-2008
Administrator

Theres room for a body mount post front and rear if I can find one... but just gonna use L shaped strip of lexan at either side of the chassis with velcro on
The shell follows the chassis line pretty well so it's no problem at all really.
Does it look even better than a sorted blaze? I think so!
Old 04-05-2008

o no i cant decide now the x ray looks good too
Old 16-05-2008

Send a message via MSN to tobbe

Any pictures of the finished M18B Jimmy? It looks ace!
Old 16-05-2008
Administrator

gotta paint it up still - been moving house so not had much time recently I'm afraid, but will get it done soon
Old 18-05-2008

Send a message via ICQ to CAClark Send a message via MSN to CAClark

Haha that thing looks wicked! Will look shit-hot painted up nicely! I think the proportions of the wheels compared to the chassis make it look ding-dong as buggy too.

Cheers!
Old 18-05-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post

The Phat Bodies Dudu shell fits the Xray M18t Pro
My Dad runs one on his

To hold the shell on place hes made lexan L tabs with velcro on. The dudu shell also sits on the top deck slightly so some velcro and be applied here also.

Mendip R/C Raceway - Offroad Racing in South-West
WORM-Racing - GT12 Racing in the South-West