Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroP View Post
anybody know where to pre-order from?

CML still has no mention on the website

Edit. NVM found some.

estimated £200
Thats a lot of money for a shelf queen

MB models @199: http://www.rccarshop.co.uk/index.php...pre-order.html

Other places I've seen are pre-order at £229.

A little bird has told me numbers coming to the UK are low, >50, <100, with 2000 world wide.

I guess pre-ordering is the way to secure one if you want it.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

Cml told me they had a good chunk of stuff coming. All cars are limited editions as they eventually stop. Both ae and cml have said they will have full spares backup.

2000 sounds feasible, if they sell well then a other batch comes I'm fairly sure. More than enough for us to race them.

If a&l do the steering it could be worth looking at, I'm just proposing a limited class to keep it fun and even, with a speed unlikely to write the car off. The cost to race might well be a £200 classic plus some cheap bearing set under £10 and possibly either a control motor or controlled motor and esc combo for a very keen price.
Racing is too serious generally - come to an oOple race and you'll notice a difference - when it comes to the truck class at the invernational then it's anything goes. I envisage a specific RC10 re-release class to provide some awesome close and fun racing - and CML are interested in making it work.

Last edited by jimmy; 04-06-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I agree Jimmy, be an awesome class to race, seeing a grid of these would be great!

As for esc/motor combo the Ezrun 13.5 would be a good cheap option with no way of tinkering to make it quicker

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 04-06-2013
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHeadling View Post
I agree Jimmy, be an awesome class to race, seeing a grid of these would be great!

As for esc/motor combo the Ezrun 13.5 would be a good cheap option with no way of tinkering to make it quicker
speed passion citrix stock with a 13.5 would work just as well
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

Do you think 13.5 would be a good motor or too quick? I've no real experience of them. I know people want to go quick but if 13.5 is similar to a 17 turn brushed then I think that would be the max speed you'd want out of one of these cars, just to protect them.
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

Whatever it is, I think they all need to be the same so it's 100% fair. CML sort something or I help sort something and re-label it for the rc10 classic or something then it would be all good.
If we have enough interest from people wanting to race to a set of rules then I'm sure group buys and the like wouldn't be out of the question.
Old 04-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'd say a 13.5 will be ok I reckon on fixed timing, but 17.5 or 21.5?

But will people use high C rating cells to get the car quicker??

A 13.5 will be about the same as a 27 t in brushed but with better cells prob quicker these days.

Maybe 17.5 would be a better option

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 04-06-2013

We ran at an endurance race (1/8 off-road), the best method in my eyes is to group buy the electrics (motor, esc, battery) and ensure that all competitors use that specific set.

Raise the entry fee to cover costs (a supplier should be able to offer a good deal) and have some fun!
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

I think the C rating makes the difference with high current draw? When there's a low current draw from a slow motor then I don't think it makes a difference but I could well be wrong on that.
Old 04-06-2013
Mad Member

C rating depends on whether the motor can draw the current, if it only pulls 20A max then a 25C or 100C battery isn't going to make much difference.
I would say a 13.5 would be as fast as you want to go with these, probably equivalent to around 13-15 brushed with what you can get out of them these days. Keeping the ESCs to blinky mode means you can use cheap ESCs like the Citrix Stock which have no boost options, but if anyone has a spare high end ESC with blinky mode then they won't have to buy a new ESC for similar performance.

They weren't built around todays speeds, here's the 85 Worlds open class, so modified motors and as fast as they could go. You could likely match them with a 21.5T today.

Might as well pop this in here as well, part 1 of 5.
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

JAMMIN!

Could do with some testing really - 13.5 does sound a bit rapid to me. I raced my vintage ride with a 15 turn brushed (spec motor) and a lipo and it was very quick. Would people cry if they had to use a 21.5 motor though? not enough power etc? Having said that, if it's wet with those kit tyres, you will be wishing for a mabuchi
Old 04-06-2013
Mad Member

be great if we could a trinity green machine to whack in
or the old style stock motors

13.5 was my suggestion as thats whats considered stock spec

wouldnt mind a 21.5
Old 04-06-2013
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

why not go old skool brushed and get a saturn 20t motor

oooooooo and jimmy im in
Old 04-06-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Personally I'd say as a race class vintage 2wd would be perfect. Rules are nice and simple - pre'90 for the original car, no slippers.
As well as RC10's (which could now include Graphites and CE's as well) you could also run Topcats, Cougars (but not Cougar 2's) and Losi JRX2's. I'd even allow Club 10's which are technically post 90 but match the build spec.

For tyres Schumacher still make the old Blue Spikes we used to run around 1990 so there is your control tyre - restrict motors as discussed.
That leaves you a pretty open class but the tyre and motor restrictions mean that doesn't really matter which chassis you go for.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

Pretty much everything you mentioned would kick in the head of an original rc10 - none of those cars are available and neither are parts. A more general class was run as a special event at last years oOple Invernational - two races for two age periods. You can't have a fair race if all the cars are different and some just have better cars - and then you start going down the road of trying to fit modern tyres to it.

It's simple - keep it stock 100% and race against other identical cars for fun with a lovely looking piece of history. Yeah we all understeer into a corner, yeah we all suffer the narrow suspension etc.
Old 04-06-2013

Default I'm in

Ordered mine today and well up for some stock racing as long as it is stock kinda like the idea of a speedo motor lipo combo so all the same Andy
Old 04-06-2013
Administrator

Gonna see what we can do about that mate, hopefully some news soon. Everything standard - and no little hopups etc - keep it simple basic fun.
Old 04-06-2013

Agreed
Old 04-06-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
Personally I'd say as a race class vintage 2wd would be perfect. Rules are nice and simple - pre'90 for the original car, no slippers.
Team Pitstop was making slippers back in 1988/89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
You can't have a fair race if all the cars are different and some just have better cars - and then you start going down the road of trying to fit modern tyres to it.
We had "modern size" 2.2 rims, at least rear rims, back in the late 80s as well.