Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 11-10-2014

Default losi 22.2 or b5m

Hi cant make my mind up which to get. what is the more popular car. please help
Old 11-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

They are both great cars. From great companies who have a fine race heritage. What sort of tracks are you running on ? High traction, low traction etc etc. The B5m is a dedicated mid motored car where as the 22 2.0 can be setup as a mid motored car or with the supplied parts in the kit you can set it up as a rear motored car !
HTH
Old 11-10-2014

Default Adding to the mix

If you are going to race on AstroTurf - Schumacher Cougar kf. Or the cougar sv a less 'mid' mid motored car! And they are British.
Old 11-10-2014

Hi. the track is an outside track. the surface is a mix of AstroTurf, grass and concrete. see link https://sites.google.com/site/tivertonrccc/gallery. was thinking of Schumacher but isn't the sv2 an oldsih model now?. thank you
Old 11-10-2014

I bought a B5M when they first came out. I bought a B-max 2 V3 to try a couple of months back and I love it. The B5M will be going up for sale when I get around to it.
Old 11-10-2014
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to Tom3012

Never driven a B5M, I drove the original 22 but didn't like it... Currently driving a VBC firebolt and I think it's ace, straight out of the box! Has to be worth considering!

Atomic Carbon S2, S44, Vega B4.1

Trader feedback: http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19374
Old 11-10-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Of those 2, if it's the only choice get the b5m it works well as mm on loose track as well.

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 11-10-2014

I have a B5m and race on an astro track. I'm struggling with it. I think the metal chassis is too stiff.
I'm looking to change it.
Most popular 2wd at our club is 22 2.0??
Old 11-10-2014

I have been told, by someone who would know, that as an all rounder the B5m is the best he's seen.
Old 11-10-2014

Default Which buggy ask those who know

Hi

Best thing to do; pop down to the track you intend to race at and see what other people there are running. everyone here on oople will have an opinion which for a lot of people is down to personal preference. A Schumacher sv is an older buggy but cheap to buy 2nd hand and the losi 22 is a pretty old design as well! Eden park raceway is a similar track astro, Tarmac, and concrete and a kf holds the lap record. But as I said earlier check at the track.
Old 11-10-2014

at the track they seem to use sv2, Durango dex210, and associated 4 and 5 mostly mid motor. I am leaning towards the b5m just don't like the fact you cant change the motor direction that's why I was looking at the losi 22.2. hard to decide lol
Old 12-10-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNC View Post
I have a B5m and race on an astro track. I'm struggling with it. I think the metal chassis is too stiff.
I'm looking to change it.
Most popular 2wd at our club is 22 2.0??
You'll be surprised what flex you'll be able to gain simply by removing the connection ribs between the right and left side of the sidepods - it still isn't very flexible, but it's a start. Also, I'm considering making some pieces that will increase flex from behind the front chassis, as well as some other nifty upgrades

That said, the B5M is an allrounder and you'll find it has crazy amounts of grip, which is absolutely awesome if you drive on a multitude of surfaces and conditions - I never felt that the B5M was missing the rear motor option on it like the 22 (and I should know... my club has a clay track).

Moving to the 22 2.0, I feel it's better if the grip is a little higher generally (as it seems to produce less rear end grip), and I think may be the 'conventional' mid-motor car to beat cars like the KF - though it does feel home on clay too - even in MM if you use the right setups.

Speaking of the KF, it's a very nice car, even on clay with some mods it went well (admittedly it was slightly moist clay, not dusty), though I do feel it loses out somewhat over 'normal' MM and RM cars. If you want one, I would wait until they release an updated version that make it a versatile car (instead of buying all the upgrades)

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 12-10-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
You'll be surprised what flex you'll be able to gain simply by removing the connection ribs between the right and left side of the sidepods - it still isn't very flexible, but it's a start. Also, I'm considering making some pieces that will increase flex from behind the front chassis, as well as some other nifty upgrades

That said, the B5M is an allrounder and you'll find it has crazy amounts of grip, which is absolutely awesome if you drive on a multitude of surfaces and conditions - I never felt that the B5M was missing the rear motor option on it like the 22 (and I should know... my club has a clay track).

Moving to the 22 2.0, I feel it's better if the grip is a little higher generally (as it seems to produce less rear end grip), and I think may be the 'conventional' mid-motor car to beat cars like the KF - though it does feel home on clay too - even in MM if you use the right setups.

Speaking of the KF, it's a very nice car, even on clay with some mods it went well (admittedly it was slightly moist clay, not dusty), though I do feel it loses out somewhat over 'normal' MM and RM cars. If you want one, I would wait until they release an updated version that make it a versatile car (instead of buying all the upgrades)
I currently run the TLR 22 2.0 It's an awesome buggy you can have all sorts of options with setups also new improved parts are coming such as the bell crank system for steering.
I speak with all other TLR owners all over the world it's like one big family always there to help (bonus)
The 22 format is very robust a lot more than any other buggy I no so less visits to your local hobby shop for parts and I have run losi on to TLR for 10 years running from a basher to a competitive racer so my choice hands down TLR 22 2.0 #RCDIRTUK rcdirtuk1@gmail.com

Last edited by RCDIRTUK; 12-10-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDIRTUK View Post
I currently run the TLR 22 2.0 It's an awesome buggy you can have all sorts of options with setups also new improved parts are coming such as the bell crank system for steering.
I speak with all other TLR owners all over the world it's like one big family always there to help (bonus)
The 22 format is very robust a lot more than any other buggy I no so less visits to your local hobby shop for parts and I have run losi on to TLR for 10 years running from a basher to a competitive racer so my choice hands down TLR 22 2.0 #RCDIRTUK rcdirtuk1@gmail.com
+1

If you don't ask, you'll never know!
Old 13-10-2014

TLR 22 all the way!
Old 13-10-2014

the b5M is a new buggy that is gaining good popularity, see more and more people getting them.
Old 13-10-2014

As others have said, the most important thing to consider when choosing a buggy, if you have no preference yourself, is to check what others are racing at the club.

I am one of a very few that run the 22 2.0 in my club. As a result i am pretty much on my own when it comes to sharing setup tips, borrowing parts etc.

Now you can overcome some of that, i keep a complete spare v1.0 roller for spares, as i sometimes race an hours drive away, and don't want to ruin a day by breaking a couple of quids worth of plastic.

I like to think i have the benefit of learning more, as i have to try all setup changes myself, instead of just pinching a quicker guys setup. But be warned, it can be quite frustrating, as some days, the car just doesn't do what you want to do, and you cant figure out why.

So in short, if you want an easy time and short term results, just get what everybody else runs. But if you want a challenge and a bit of adventure, get something that nobody else runs!!

Tom
TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR 22 5.0 AC Elite,

Kindly Supported by Trackside Spares, TLR, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby
Old 13-10-2014

Ive had a b5m since they first came out and the first few meetings I just couldn't get it to perform how I wanted it to and wasn't getting more than 9 laps. After a lot of practice and help from others at my club I got on top of the setup and mid 11 laps is now the norm. Its now a very reliable and consistent car but it took a lot of work to get it how it currently is.

I go suggest getting the schelle slipper and lunsfold ti turn buckles for the b5m.

would I get the b5m again knowing what I now know, yes.
Old 02-11-2014

Default late but interested

Hi there, I had same choice to make a while back, went with b5m, mainly due to the number of Centro b4s that ran at my local track. Ive found it a very well built car, surviving crashes id have put money on it breaking something.( still manage to breeak bulkheads, but thats my own fault going up ramps at wrong angles mainly and ending in a wall) bmax is a good choice j77 right about that, from what ive seen anyway. Would love to know what you eventualy went with.
Old 02-11-2014

Hi still trying to decide. I have been adviced to move away from the losi as no one runs then around devon. I have narrowed it down to the b5m, duarango dex210v2, rb6 or the new vbc firebolt . whats stopping me is whats coming out in the next 4 months do I wait or go for it now?.