Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 24-10-2011

Default TRF201 ball connectors

I have snapped a ball connector on the front hub carrier. The part number is: 19804205 (BB17 is the manual ref.)

Does anyone know if these are aluminium or steel?

I'm struggling to find any under that part number but I do have some blue aluminium ones but I worry they aren't strong enough.

Can anyone suggest some nice strong replacements?

Thanks in advance.
Old 24-10-2011
Mad Member

Ive snapped a few of these on my 511, i replaced them with (54208 fluorine coated ball studs), the thread is slightly longer which can be used to put spacers underneath and provide an extra tuning aid, or if needed simply cut down. But they are much stronger and i have yet to break one.

We have these in stock and can be found by clicking here - http://www.jtmodels.co.uk/prestashop...?id_product=87

Hope this helps.
Old 24-10-2011

Thanks for the advice.

The ball connectors that came with the kit use a socket spanner to fit and those you linked use an allen key. I take it there is no issue in replacing these with ones that use allen keys...

In which case I'll probably try some of these: 53969 as I am under the impression that the fluorine coated ones are aluminium but these are hardened steel.
Old 24-10-2011

Precisely, which is why they break. Switching the original ones with hardened steel ones are probably the most essential upgrade there is on any of the TRF offroaders.
Old 24-10-2011
Mad Member

Ive replaced the ones on my 511 with the fluorine coated ones (54208), and after running the car indoors and out for nearly a year ive yet to break one. Ive had the ball cup pop off a few times during an impact, but still no breakage on the ballstud, so the aluminium ones aren't that weak.
Old 26-10-2011

Thanks for the help on this one. I have ordered some of the hardened steel ones.

Now just to try and drill out the remaining thread left in the plastic part... I'm not holding out much hope...
Old 26-10-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantra View Post
I have snapped a ball connector on the front hub carrier. The part number is: 19804205 (BB17 is the manual ref.)

Does anyone know if these are aluminium or steel?

I'm struggling to find any under that part number but I do have some blue aluminium ones but I worry they aren't strong enough.

Can anyone suggest some nice strong replacements?

Thanks in advance.
That's peculiar! I had the very same problem a while back. I was suggested by someone to use a screw and a ball connector with an inside thread on the other end. The advantage of this is that when the screw breaks you'll be able to get the thread out again without any issues
Old 27-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origineelreclamebord View Post
That's peculiar! I had the very same problem a while back. I was suggested by someone to use a screw and a ball connector with an inside thread on the other end. The advantage of this is that when the screw breaks you'll be able to get the thread out again without any issues
I do the same thing. You can either use 53640 which is the pretty Tamiya blue alum ones or 53599 which is the Fluorine coated alum ones. Either will work awesome and I have to break one since.
Old 27-10-2011

Sweet, I already have some of the shiny blue ones as spare, so I'll get them fitted.