Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > NEAM Seaham Sunderland

Old 14-06-2014

Default Hotbodies yokomo or xray

Thinking of getting the bearn another 4wd buggy for his birthday in August. He doesn't know about it, it will just be a 2nd hand one. I can't decide on
HB D413
Yokomo
Xray

Like the HB the most if I can get one followed by the yokomo followed by the xray
Will prob end up with the yokomo though
What would you choose out of the 3
Davey
Old 14-06-2014

Difficult to say davey, I don't think I have ever seen one of the HB's in the flesh yet although they look good I think they are a few good drivers using them so they should be some setups going around.

The Xray never really took off did it? I'm not sure how long it's been out(2years nearly?)but they never really seems to be many of them about

The yok is maybe the one I would go for, it's seems to be the most popular out of the 3 I would say. Having driven one they seem to go pretty good also.
Old 14-06-2014
Mad Member

To be honest you can't go wrong with the b44. 2 if that's the latest one, what about the schumacher k1 not the aero, loads of people run them and spares are plenty.

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 14-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
what about the schumacher.
I was gonna say about that also, after all probably 50% of the club run them ...
Old 14-06-2014

We already have the b44.1 it is a great buggy but just wanna try something different. Thought about the Schumacher but I'm not keen on all the belts and would prefer gear diffs.The Durango was an option but prefer the look of the other 3
We will prob end up with a yokomo as we have the 2wd already but if a hot bodies does come along we would prob get that a Xray is an option if it was cheap
Old 14-06-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've had an xray, and now run a Yok bmax 4 III.

The Xray XB4 isn't a bad car, but i struggled to get it to work well on low traction indoor tracks. high traction, no problem. it was expensive looking back on what i spent on it, and i think they made parts weaker. Original parts lasted ages, very solid, but then newer parts like wishbones, etc, seemed to break a lot easier than when first released.

The yokomo is just awesome. works everywhere and for me is a much better car. cheaper to run too, just run a front shocktower guard and keep some front bulkheads/shock tower mounts in stock. they pop occasionally, but haven't since i've been running a guard. it's the only week point on the car.

I've driven Richard Lowe's D413 and it was a beast. Really nice to drive, point and squirt and it goes there. Seems solid, and quite aggressive, not sure if its a beginners car? not seen many second hand for sale however?
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 14-06-2014

The k1 aero uses geared diffs and only has 2 simple belts and can pick them up second hand easy enough !!!

www.racing-cars.com
Old 14-06-2014
Mad Member

Think the issue with the K1 is that they seem to be fairly weak cars. They go well in experienced hands but seems they need a fair few optional parts to strengthen then. Allow front and rear gearbox tops, alloy yokes geared diffs, different chasis.
You'd have plenty support and assistance at seaham though.

D413 looks a good car but dunno if it would be good for Ty. Think it would be a bit harsh for him.

Yokomo seems the best option.

How about the 22-4?
May not have geared diffs, but looks a good car. You get a hell of a lot of car for the money.
Old 14-06-2014

The Yok is easy to drive and very tough. Only the rear hubs and shocks are the same. So it doesn't matter what 4wd you decide on as the interchangeability between the B-Max2 and B-Max4 is virtually none existant.

The K1 looks good but high maintenance compared to the rest with having an open drivetrain. Don't get me started about the Schumacher ball diffs.

X-Ray are expensive for spares, they don't even sell wishbones in pairs!

Durango are very poor at the moment, lack of spares availability, the current quality issues and have changed distributors for the second time means I'd write them off as a contender.

Associated B44.2 is reliable and popular. All the cars that go well all seem to run the Durango diff conversions but are having excessive wear on the outdrives.

I've never seen the HB413 so can't comment.

In my view it has to be the Yokomo.

2011 Muchmore GP 4wd Champion

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 07-07-2014
Mad Member

I dont think you'll go wrong with any of the modern cars, though probably best to get something other people are running at the club.

I would say that the K1 isn't high maintenance or weak. I crash harder than most and don't often break. I've never touched the drivetrain in over 6 months of very hard running, very low maintenance compared to some other cars where I've seen club members changing driveshafts, gears etc. I think belt drive requires less maintenance, as the belt takes the shock out of the drive train.

Have a good look at the cars at the next club meeting, ask the owners what they like / dislike about the car, and make your choice. Odd that I think one of the benefits of the K1 over other brands is it's strength and reliability. I'll let you know what I think the negatives are with a chat at the club next week.

You're welcome to use mine at the next club night all night .....

In summary, I'd go for the K1 or the B44.2 on popularity at our club.
Old 07-07-2014

k1 I hardly ever have to touch mine, im even still running a worn spur from 8 months ago and still goes fine, and this was hammered by someone who could drive the car previous to me
Old 07-07-2014

Hi in my opinion I would stay away from the B44.2 I ran one and it was a pile of poo I would never buy AE again. I now have the K1 Aero and this is
by far the better car I have had no problems with the drive train at all and on the b44 I had rear diff problems 3 times and it was a pig to drive the k1 is faster easier to drive and much stronger.
if I was to buy a different car the Yokomo wins every time
Old 07-07-2014

Got him the yokomo 4wd it came along ąt the right time at the right price
Thanks for the help
Davo
Old 11-07-2014
Mad Member

Traitor...
Old 11-07-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO View Post
Got him the yokomo 4wd it came along ąt the right time at the right price
Thanks for the help
Davo
Good choice!
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------