Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 26-07-2009

Default Considering starting racing.....help!!!!

Hi

Today i was down at the yorcc meeting down at blyth, as it is two minutes from my house, and i have got the buzz to get out there and start racing myself.

I was wondering what i would need just to start off racing and get a grip for it before i start getting competitive.

I Have been looking round and also asking questions while i was around today and it seemed that in the 2wd buggys the b4 seemed to be a good starter base.

If anyone could give me ant advice with the basics i would need to start racing and also what this car and class would be like for starting in that would be great.
Old 26-07-2009
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathy View Post
Hi

Today i was down at the yorcc meeting down at blyth, as it is two minutes from my house, and i have got the buzz to get out there and start racing myself.

I was wondering what i would need just to start off racing and get a grip for it before i start getting competitive.

I Have been looking round and also asking questions while i was around today and it seemed that in the 2wd buggys the b4 seemed to be a good starter base.

If anyone could give me ant advice with the basics i would need to start racing and also what this car and class would be like for starting in that would be great.
First of all welcome i know i am bias but i would say take a long hard look at the madrat by ansmann its ony £50 and you just cant go wrong at all to start with i would run a 27 turn motor if you buy the ansmann its included then allot of the other stuff is down to your personal choice like if you want to run sticks or a wheal and if you want to spend allot of money on the latest kit. also batterys especially NiMh the prices are dropping all the time speek to the regulars at the track see what they run and recomend but all in all its down to the indevidual person
Old 26-07-2009

Thanks

What are the spares availability like for these? because i as with anything i always like to easily be able to get spares.
Old 26-07-2009
Slighty Random Member

Default hey

ygpm

how is it cheap with no prices

pwnd
Old 26-07-2009
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
Thanks

What are the spares availability like for these? because i as with anything i always like to easily be able to get spares.
J&L have spares and the service is allways amazing and always helpful
Old 26-07-2009

The mad rat was the other thing mentioned to me but i never took anything of it with it being a smaller name.

do they seem to keep up alrite and have they got good reviews behind them?
Old 26-07-2009
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
The mad rat was the other thing mentioned to me but i never took anything of it with it being a smaller name.

do they seem to keep up alrite and have they got good reviews behind them?
all i can say about it is good things others at my club with more experince have said how close to the B4 it drives richard barton drove one and was very happy with it although he didnt like the setup the driver had put on it but the car is a good one spares are cheep and the car is fast
Old 26-07-2009

well if its cheap and seems to be alrite it mite be looking like that then!

What sort of tools and spares would i want to be carrying with me when im racing it?
Old 26-07-2009
Thieving scumbag

Quote:
well if its cheap and seems to be alrite it mite be looking like that then!

What sort of tools and spares would i want to be carrying with me when im racing it?
with the madrat i would carry a set of allen keys in metric sizes and spares i would carry a t peice and some wishbones maybe a bulkhead aswell but on the kit motor you shold find you wont break anything since most crashes will be slow
Old 27-07-2009

Hello Heathy.

The Madrat does look like a reasonable car for the price. However i am selling 2 Associated RC10 B4's. One is a factury team which i have just rebult and will be selling for £60 and will have no spares. The other which is my main car i am selling after this weekend with lots of spares for £150, as it does have a lot of spares. It is time for me to try a different car as i fancy a change. The one i am selling after the weekend i will strip and rubuild before i sell so let me know if you are interested.
Old 27-07-2009

I would have thought you'd be better served with an RC10 B4. Whilst the Madrat looks attractive because of the specs for the price, I would say that as you are just starting out, it would be a better idea to go for an extremely popular car. This is where the B4 excels, at least 50% of 2WD drivers have B4s, so you could borrow spares trackside, pretty much any RC website shop has B4 parts in, and set-up info/help is readily available.

There's a lot of advice out there related to the B4. Also, when the time comes, and if funds allow, you have the ability to convert to an X6.
Old 27-07-2009

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but what would a good, cheap starter 4wd be?
Old 27-07-2009

How cheap is cheap?
Old 27-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As a guide you will need:

Car kit
1 pack of Lipo cells
Charger to suit above lipos
brushless motor
ESC to suit above motor
Servo
Transmitter/receiver

You can cover most of these with the B4-RTR (ready to run), which just needs cells and charger. This is good, but comes with a brushed motor and steer wheel transmitter - so could be better.

But you would get a better car if you carefully choose a kit and parts. BUT(#2) this would work out the most expensive short term - least expensive long term as you won't need to upgrade so soon.

Heres my recommendation:

Rc10-B4 stealth kit
Trakpower 3600mah cells
Losi AB9603 charger
Losi Xceleron Motor+ESC combo (with 8.5 / 10.5 motor)
Savox SC1258 Servo
Spektrum DX3S transmitter/receiver set. (steerwheel)
or Futaba 3GR transmitter/receiver set (stick)

A big tip from me, is make a list of the components you need and choose carefully which make/brand you will go for. Ask here or at the clubs, but don't rush into anything your not sure about, the sport/hobby is a LOT of fun but only if you make good decisions early on. bad decisions leads to dissapointment and expense.

Chris
Old 27-07-2009

i think you coverd everything there chris, and i think it is very good advice
Old 27-07-2009

Thanks Everyone

I didn't want to rush into things and do things properly so that i could start off with half decent equipment and by getting everyones advice this has helped me a great deal.

One final question....Is it worthwhile buying new or would it be better to buy second hand and save a little?

James
Old 27-07-2009

Hi fella, and welcome to RC...

On the subject of new or used... if you want to buy new, go for a well respected and popular (read common...) manufacturer for the availiability of trackside and RC shop spare parts... I think the B4 is a good investment new or used for anyone... The B4 chassis can take silly wind brushless and cope with it no prob if you want to, but are equally at home with more everyday wind motors... bear in mind that if you don't want to be a rolling roadblock for the regular racers, choose a motor/ESC accordingly.. ie. see what others at your track are using, not the top drivers, but the guys who will give you a race in the middle of the pack...

Above all else Heathy, have fun mate and try not to get caught up in the quest for speed through spending... consolidate your skills and respect the other drivers... there is nowt worse than a newbie with a fast car!!
Old 27-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

you can get second hand electrics that will serve you well and save a packet. Try to go for respected brands as they will generally last longer.

You can pick up second hand KO radio gear (esprit II gold knobs stick transmitter) or servos (2123, fast metal gear, about £30-35). My servos are second hand 2123's and i've been using them for 4 years.
chargers are also good second hand. With the life of lipo cells these days they also make second hand, just make sure you get them from a respected racer who won;t have abused them.
brushless gear will also last longer than older brushed speedo's/motors.

look around and take your time, there are always bargains cropping up on here

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 27-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Good advice - newby with a fast car limits learning, as they spend more time crashing than driving. Practice makes perfect, and good quality practice is spent on the wheels - so be prepared and willing to start with a slower car than most people, you'll soon be improving and beating many (as there are soooooo many who just can't help try to drive car faster than there talent).

2nd hand can be worthwhile, but it all depends. You don't want to inherit problems in a car fixed with bubble gum and metric screws, but there are some bargains - seek advice from someone as most racers will recognise a 'lemon' of a B4.

I personally would buy new especially to begin with, learning starts with the wrenchs and the fun starts at step 1 in the manual. I really love building a kit, the first one I built with my dad took a week but now I can do it in 2-3 hours!!! LOL.
Old 27-07-2009

Hi mate,

Battery-wise I'd strongly recommend the 3700 (7.2v) Vapex NIMH packs. At 15 quid each you really can't go wrong, and they'll provide you with all the power you need for a long time to come.

http://www.vapextech.co.uk/acatalog/...Batteries.html