Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
give it up

stop posting in this thread

your statement has NOTHING to do with the title of this thread

as you can see from a few posts above, he has already bought a car
Dude seriously stfu and stop responding ...the title is 511vs dex are u illiterate. And even if he already bought it there are people who are debating between the two cars and may require some insight on people who've owned both. Why dont u just stop posting and leave with ur tail between ur legs...Ur just pissed I was right bounce
Old 11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carno View Post
Yep, fortunately you were right.
Saves me a lot of money not having to buy one.

The question now is are you going to keep your Durango?
Ugh man U dont know how I feel about this situation lol. I like the gear diffs in the rango...But I love my tamiyas and always have. As I said the only reason I left tam. was because of the belt thing and also the ball diffs. But now theyre doing this big ball diff thing, god knows what that is...and shaft drive as well... So dream come true?...absolutely...Am I droppin my dex?...I dunno. The thing is too sweet to drive and I have it dialed to the point where I leave other 4wds in my wake. I may just buy it anyway who knows. We'll see come this winter how I feel. Gear diffs is less maintenance and fine tuning them is a piece of cake...just add oil lol. With ball diffs its a lil trickier but once set they are trouble free. Who knows Im happy and sad at the same time.
Old 11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyV2382 View Post
Dude seriously stfu and stop responding ...the title is 511vs dex are u illiterate. And even if he already bought it there are people who are debating between the two cars and may require some insight on people who've owned both. Why dont u just stop posting and leave with ur tail between ur legs...Ur just pissed I was right bounce
Er....Dude, maybe you want to try and tone it down a little. I almost never see posters talk to eachother this way in here. It's not nice.

As far as the debate you are having, no one is 'right' per se'. It's just two different ways of doing things.
Old 11-09-2010

Quote:
Whats this I hear...502x...a Tamiya SHAFT DRIVEN car. WoW. Confirmed.
Quote:
god, your an idiot, you still dont get it do ya?

No, I am not illiterate, but it seems the only person is on here is you. The title of this thread is 511 vs dex410, the guy was asking about which car he should get about 1 year ago, he has already bought the car he choose, so why do you keep on replying on this thread.

further more, then you reply again with a dumb message about the 502! Mr illiterate again, cant you read this thread is about the 511 v's dex410, its got nothing to do with the 502, and then you make some comment about you being right. What exactly are you right about? Sorry, I should not ask anymore questions directed at you, as you will find a reason to respond AGAIN not relating to this thread.

GEE YOUR A MORON!!! get a life!
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
god, your an idiot, you still dont get it do ya?

No, I am not illiterate, but it seems the only person is on here is you. The title of this thread is 511 vs dex410, the guy was asking about which car he should get about 1 year ago, he has already bought the car he choose, so why do you keep on replying on this thread.

further more, then you reply again with a dumb message about the 502! Mr illiterate again, cant you read this thread is about the 511 v's dex410, its got nothing to do with the 502, and then you make some comment about you being right. What exactly are you right about? Sorry, I should not ask anymore questions directed at you, as you will find a reason to respond AGAIN not relating to this thread.

GEE YOUR A MORON!!! get a life!
Dude...if u are having trouble connecting dots u seriously have issues. If u cant follow a conversation then I dont know what to say. lol whatever...Lemme break it down to you one more time Barney style...and thats a kids show in case you needed that to be clarified as well... the title of this thread is 511 vs dex, the starter of this thread was debating what to get and has ended up with a durga...great. But for people that are still debating this very same question the argument/disdussion can still persist. You just want it ended because you either have nothing valid or useful to contribute or you just hate being proven wrong about the fact that the belt system sucked and has now been changed to a shaft system in the new 502, which is why that car was brought up. The debate in essence is between a belt driven car...the 511 and the DEX a shaft driven car. That is where the debate lies. For Tamiya to stop using the belts in its offroad car, it must mean something. And that my friend is more reliability, and more versatility.

So, If you're seriously still not understanding the argument or its references to the 502 and how it correlates to the rest of the cars discussed here then yes you are a seriously retarded individual. Just shut it.
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo668 View Post
Er....Dude, maybe you want to try and tone it down a little. I almost never see posters talk to eachother this way in here. It's not nice.

As far as the debate you are having, no one is 'right' per se'. It's just two different ways of doing things.
I agree its not nice. But unfortunately there are slow learners here.

It is 2 different ways of doing things. We are just discussing why some1 would choose one car over the other and which car would be better suited for a loose dirt style track vs an astro/carpet/indoor style track. They are both great cars. The rango has 1up in the maintenance and strength department however. That is my opinion.
Old 13-09-2010

Quote:
STFU....MOVING ON...

Now to really answer your question...I owned both cars. I cant tell you this. Maintenance on the dex410 will save you time. You can change diff oils replace the diff and adjust the slipper in under 15 mins if you were determined to do so lol. With the tamiya cars it used to take me a real long time to get to the spur or the diffs. Also the ball diffs were a huge hassle. Are they too tight, are they too loose. It gets old. BUT...they both handle very well. I can honestly say, that the dex does everything well. On outdoors and indoors. so thats versatility. On outdoor tracks with the 501 I had to replace belts and rebuild diffs after every run. In the durability dept. the R version of the DEX has a weak point with the front plastic brace. Get the ally one and ur good. Arms never brake, hinge pins never bend, shocktowers never an issue. Only thing to worry about is the drive shaft pins. Read on durangos tips to build those right. 501/511...Arms do break and with that pins will always bend. rear wing mount is a joke and always gets loose. shock towers are surprisingly strong, never broke one. body looks amazing. it looks stunning in all aspects but is a bit fiddly when it comes to maintenance issues and arm/ hinge pin breakage. I remember I had to stock up on pins and arms all the time. as well as front shock shafts. Rear wheel wobble is also an annoying thing and the 12mm hex conversion made it handle worse in every way.

when properly set up and if driver skill is not an issue, then both are remarkable on the track. I really enjoyed my 501, even though you are discussing the 511, its not far off. The reason in the end that I sold my 501 was the maintenance issue. Too much going on. No matter how well you wire you motor leads or servo wires one day something will come loose and catastrophe will strike. I once had my servo mounts come undone and since they run parallel to the front belt, the belt got caught on it and snap! lost the race...DNF.

Not saying the shafts in the dex dont get in the way, but they will not cause such a huge problem. and as I said...removing the spur is literally seconds...removing the diffs...4 screws. You just cant get that with ANY other buggy.

Yes I know this is a late reply but I felt the need to add to it for any future inquiries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
The belts last a very long time (half a year if you race every weekend) if you adjust it properly. Mine is 1,5 years old and only on its 2nd rear belt. Front is the same.

Also, how the hell did you manage to have a servo mount come undone?!? The things are made in plastic and impossible to come undone once screwed in.

To me it sounds like operator error big time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mof View Post
I run outdoors all the time, I haven't got any issues with the belts or constantly needing to rebuild the diffs on my 501. I am using the newer, more durable, drive belts that come with DB01R and 511.

I agree that the 511 arms brake easily, but to brake a 501 arm you really have to try, like drive full throttle at a concrete wall...

Pins might bend and arms might brake if you hit that concrete wall, though

As for 511, the arms brake more easily and thus the pins don't bend as easily as in 501.

Ever heard or seen or read what might happen to a DEX when a pin comes loose from the drive shaft...? Yes, it is what you could describe as a huge problem (flame out ). And yes, it does happen. For the newer models this problem should be sorted, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
The Cat SX belts are not very strong (regardless of surface), I'll agree with you on that, but the belts on the 511 is a lot better.

We race on any surface, in any weather, and have not heard or seen what you report at all. Thats why I'm hard pressed to believe you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich D View Post
Only parts i have broken on my 511 have been front arms and std front shock towers. I use the std arms - high traction. They have never failed to the point where i havent finished though - they usually crack. Would rather crack an arm than bend alloy parts. I agree, the std arms are weak. Tamiya even write on the package that they aren`t the strongest ! Something along the lines of " for professional use only, use part number **** for more durability "

As for the rest .......

Never had any issues with the wing mount coming loose, the belts or pullies wearing or breaking, the diffs being too tight or too loose nor needing to be rebuilt after every run as you describe. Your servo mount came loose cos you didnt do it up properly, you used an alloy screw, or it had been in and out so many times that the threads were worn on the mount.

Steel screws that self thread into plastic dont vibrate loose. Thats a fact. Don`t wish to piss on your fire or be rude but frankly it doesnt sound like you bolted certain parts of your 501 together right in the first place dude. Sorry !

This in particular ...

Is complete rubbish if its built correctly. Any car will drop to bits if the person bolting it together doesnt do it correctly.

The Durango is a great car though. you`re right ! - i`d have one if i wasnt happy with my Tamiya
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole2k View Post
I've ran my 501x for 2 years racing weekly on a wide variety of high grip and low grip surfaces.

So far total breakages on this car are:
Rear Wishbone, landed short on a huge triple running on a 1/8th track with a 4.5
Front Shock Tower, hit a wall flatout
Front Shock Shaft, landed nose first off a jump into a block

I've never had to replace any pulleys, the belts I replaced once as they where starting to look a little tatty. My diff's go months between rebuilds and never lose any smoothness, I just re-grease them every so often. I've never had to remove camber links or the shocks to get the diff's out either, there is plenty of room to manoeuvre them in and out with the shocks and camber link's left on.

I wouldn't say the DEX is a bad car, I would love one myself but I have to say the Tamiya doesn't need much maintenance to keep it going well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Now isn't this funny...

You're all arguing about a thread that's nearly one year old. I think the guy's made his mind up and had his new car by now, whichever it was...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik Emilsson View Post
Again, some people talk about things they don´t know anything about...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carno View Post
Instead of wondering why. Wonder if it's true first
We already got that you didn't like your 501x but this thread isn't about the 501x.
Quote:
Again, this thread is NOT about 501x but 511. You can adjust gear mesh on a 511 without removing all the stuff on the other side. And if you want, you can do that on 501x too, you just need to select an ESC that fits under the slipper shaft.

Quote:
Dude...if u are having trouble connecting dots u seriously have issues. If u cant follow a conversation then I dont know what to say. lol whatever...Lemme break it down to you one more time Barney style...and thats a kids show in case you needed that to be clarified as well... the title of this thread is 511 vs dex, the starter of this thread was debating what to get and has ended up with a durga...great. But for people that are still debating this very same question the argument/disdussion can still persist. You just want it ended because you either have nothing valid or useful to contribute or you just hate being proven wrong about the fact that the belt system sucked and has now been changed to a shaft system in the new 502, which is why that car was brought up. The debate in essence is between a belt driven car...the 511 and the DEX a shaft driven car. That is where the debate lies. For Tamiya to stop using the belts in its offroad car, it must mean something. And that my friend is more reliability, and more versatility.

So, If you're seriously still not understanding the argument or its references to the 502 and how it correlates to the rest of the cars discussed here then yes you are a seriously retarded individual. Just shut it.
Tony you are a complete tool!
Have a look at the people who have posted in response to your stupid posts, and you tell me who the one denominator stupid idiot is.....YOU!

First off, you bump a thread that is 1 YEAR OLD. And then you jump on here as a 'know it all' telling people what a crap time you had with your 501x, only to have been told it was 'user' error(YOU).
Old 13-09-2010

can the moderator please disable/lock/remove this thread? things have become very pointless and unpleasant
Old 13-09-2010

Well, as far as the open belt drive not being able to handle dirt...

Included is a pic of a 511 that had the body come partly off at quite a muddy race. I think there was starting to be a bit too mud much for it, though, there was around 400g of mud in the car after the heat

Here are the A finals (videos by AiR) so you can see the conditions for yourself (the 511 in the pic was in the B finals if I remember correctly, but the same conditions for them too)...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valokuva0231.jpg (82.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 13-09-2010

Here's a lot better pic of the car taken by the owner:

Old 14-09-2010

I'm new to rc racing and have not driven a 1/10 buggy yet. The one thing that I know, is that the best way to determine the best is to simply see what the top guys are using at the latest and biggest races. This is the same with most other competition sport based heavily on equipment.

Where this is concern, the Euros 2010 which concluded just a few weeks ago, would be the race to look at. From what I see, the Tamiya factory drivers were using the 511 and not some prototype. As far as the results are concerned, it's 1st-511, 2nd-BMax, 3rd-511, 4th-Dex and 5th-B44.

Until the next big race with all the top drivers, the TRF511 still reigns as the best. This does not mean it suits everyone including me. It just means that it deserves the biggest consideration if one is looking for a top buggy.
Old 14-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiping View Post
The one thing that I know, is that the best way to determine the best is to simply see what the top guys are using at the latest and biggest races.
On the other hand, they drive what they are paid to drive...
Old 14-09-2010

Quote:
I agree its not nice. But unfortunately there are slow learners here.
Your opinions are valid, as valid as anyone elses, the bolded part is where the problem lies. You can disagree with someone without calling them stupid either directly or tacitly.
This is what you need to drop.

I think when it comes to purchasing a new ride it comes down to user preference and what they are prepared to deal with when it comes to maintenance. It doesn't always work out for some people but that's life.

I'm pretty sure I could go through this forum and find examples of people telling you that their particular car is the bestest car made ever in the history of everything. But really there's no right answer.

(actually there is, it's the original Kyosho Ultima, greatest car ever)
Old 14-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiping View Post
As far as the results are concerned, it's 1st-511, 2nd-BMax, 3rd-511, 4th-Dex and 5th-B44.

Until the next big race with all the top drivers, the TRF511 still reigns as the best. This does not mean it suits everyone including me. It just means that it deserves the biggest consideration if one is looking for a top buggy.
yeah all i really take from big race results is that all 3 of those chassis are very competitie and each of them are capable of winning in the right hands, the nats in america had a bunch of losi xxx4s in the A main, thats a fairly un-loved chassis still on the pace with the right work done and driven by the right people
Old 14-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Here's a lot better pic of the car taken by the owner:

This sends a shiver down my spine - im a clean freak

See My Feedback

Old 14-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

how did that switch survive!! I have had both cars and whilst both are very good, i personally have found the 511 more forgiving to drive. Both have plusses and minuses...
Old 14-09-2010
Mad Member

I know what you mean Rich. Mines getting dusty on the fridge in my kitchen and I cant rest. Lol

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 14-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
how did that switch survive!! I have had both cars and whilst both are very good, i personally have found the 511 more forgiving to drive. Both have plusses and minuses...
Christ knows - i cant even see what speedo it is. Was that race worth risking writing off all your electrics lol ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
I know what you mean Rich. Mines getting dusty on the fridge in my kitchen and I cant rest. Lol
you sound worse than me Si

See My Feedback

Old 14-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

its got the new special brown ball cups too!!!
Old 14-09-2010
Mad Member

Thats mearly a bit of mud, that wont slow down a 511, the diffs and the blue spur are spotless.

Loving the paint scheme on the shell in the background