Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 19-03-2013

First trial fitting with the new print :

*The gear mesh seems fine
*Just one small design oversight that required some slight dremeling
*Printing tolerances well within the advertised limits, a little bit of hand fitting required but nothing major

Old 19-03-2013
Mad Member

They did a pretty quick job with the printing. It looks very neat! It does look very strange to see the motor mount so high up, but I guess if CoG is an issue you could stick a slab of lead underneath It'd also help to put the weight bias further to the rear probably, and there's now room underneith the motor to play with something like that.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this box in action!
Old 21-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-trix View Post
Maybe it would, but designing is half the fun.

I don't think you'd be willing to take the ferry to see it for real; I'm Belgian

Steven
I fully agree Steven, but being greedy I try to make my designs using of-the-shelve parts (preferably my own shelves)
Why a ferry? Last time I checked Mechelen was still in belgium
Old 05-04-2013

As far as I know, we have different types of gearboxes. But my mind is always bothered by this question. How does the car gearboxes works? Will you please give me some specific details of what are the functions of each gearboxes.
Old 08-04-2013

Default Have you tried it yet?

Great stuff i hope it works i loved my 22 but couldnt just control it as a learner,
And got sick of being told to get rid, the quality of the car is great, it would do the car justice if you can pull it off best of luck
Old 09-04-2013

Location: Nottingham till I retire, then Caribbean or Palawan.

That looks great, its really cool to see people trying more radical mods like this with 3D printing

Let me just say that I am quite new at RC racing, but part of me wonders if with this admittedly incredibly cool part you are simply swapping one issue for another. The much higher motor mounting position could cause a number of other issues.

Now let me ask something that to some may be obvious, but isn't to me. Why would this compact gearbox be better than the Cream Extreme RC rear weight or even the mid-motor rear weight kit? Seems to me like the weights allow you to move the weight balance rearwards without increasing the CG... But as I said, I may be missing something super obvious somewhere.
Old 08-05-2013

8mm higher motor offers some intersting options to put in the speedo and battery. Looks great! 8mm higher motor is much weight but looking at s ome rear weight kits and alloy gear cases they to the same. Maybe 4mm would be enough though .. want wait to read the first driving report.
Old 08-05-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
Why is having the motor positioned further from driveshafts a problem?

Lifting nearly 10% weight of a vehicle by 8mm won't cause any issues? really?
Old 05-10-2013

Is it possible to get the file? A friend has a printer but i have no CAD skill Thanks!
Old 21-01-2014

Send a message via AIM to Renegade

It's too late now but if you redesign this transmission case in the future I have some suggestions. The problem with the 22 isn't that the motor is too far forward, it is that the rear arms sweep back too much and the diff is too far back. If you look at some of the other mid motor cars the motor is placed right in front of the rear suspension block (just like the 22) but on the 22 the diff is stretched out so the outdrives come out at the rear of the arm. The ideal setup would be to switch the arms left and right (sweeping forward) and design a compact transmission that would keep the motor low and in front of the suspension block, with the diff moved forward to reduce driveshaft bind caused by flipping the arms. I believe this is the setup used by the VEGA kits, although they are a little pricey. If someone were to make a case such as that that bolted straight on, I'd be very interested in buying one.