Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 24-02-2014

Default New S.O.S prototypes parts

Well after the first test at the weekend i thought it about time we put up a thread about some new parts we've been working on for the current micro racers (Carisma GTB, losi mini 8 and hopefully soon to be LC racing). Please excuse the phone photo quality!!

I should note here that we could produce these for other makes of cars in batches if they were wanted We would just need a fesh new part to make the drawings from sent to us.

First up is our Super heavey duty grade 7075 T6 Aluminium alloy or Ti6al4v Titanium Alloy re-enforced carbon fibre shock towers.

First up for the Carisma GTB

Next up for the Mini 8

These one's shown on our cars are made from 1.2mm Titanium () rebated and resin fixed into 3mm pure carbon fibre. Matt/Scattyv (who to be fair has put the majority of the work into these new products) had the orginal mk1 prototype of these on his car for over 9months and many hundreds of hours of racing/crashing. To the point that the carbon fibre had broken in many places yet the tower held together and stayed strait. In the same period of time Brimmers (the 3rd part of S.O.S) went through a fair no. (4-6) of carbon towers in the same time from no worse crashes than Matt.

We have altered the profiles of both towers.
In the case of the GTB the changes are for aero rounding the top profile to smooth airflow and also as the alloy/carbon composites are stronger we feel it safe to increase the central hole to aid airflow onto the cab increasing front down force. These also have the extra shock and caber link positions as our standard carbon towers.

In the case of the Mini 8 towers the alterations were pretty much the oposite. increasing the top radius and side profiles of the towers so as to make them stronger and more resiliant in this area that takes all the load the hole for airflow is already quite large so was no need to change.

Realistically we will be looking to do small production runs with 1.6mm 7075 T6 Alloy inserts as this will allow us to keep a "relatively" low sale price of £15-20, TBC once we have the production costing sorted.
I think we would probably only offer the titanium versions if a batch was ordered as the cutting time for the Titanium is many times that of the 7075 t6 and as such they would be more expensive.
Old 24-02-2014

Default Next up insert based Aluminium hinge pin hangers for Carisma GTB!!!

These will have to be tomorrow now as lots of work to do tomorrow.

Night
Old 25-02-2014

Default Next up 7075 T6 Alloy chassis for the GTB anyone?

Next prototype off the cnc this afternoon are 7075 T6 alloy chassis for the GTB . This again is just a basic rough prototype with minimal finishing (a light sanding with 1500 & 3000grit). I will be fitting it on my car and testing it at the weekend.

I'm unsure what the flex level will be, but if I find I need more flex we are prepared to start milling pockets out of the top side . This could also have add benefits of allowing me to lower the full electrics install in places reducing cog. We are looking at the process of hard anodizing them in house as well but we will see about this.

I have not had a chance to accurately weigh all the new parts but safe to say the alloy components could add a bit of much needed weight low down.

If there was interest in these we would be looking to sell them at a very reasonable price somewhere around £25.
Old 25-02-2014

Oh Yes! Almost forgot if thermal past is used between the motor and alloy motor mount and alloy motor mount and chassis I think it should aid with thermal management somewhat increasing the heat sink area quite drastically.