Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 24-02-2014

Default YR4 out-runner conversion

Based on Longrat's experiment
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?p=840487

Basically I replaced the center shaft with the spur and pulley by a 5mm bore pulley mounted direct on the motorshaft of a 790KV out-runner motor.
A shorter belt was all i needed to finish it off.

Unfortunately the Kv and new gear ratio don't match well: way too slow.
Possible plans for the future are to find a bigger sized pulley, modify a 4mm bore pulley, or maybe even go for a higher Kv motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9188.JPG (201.0 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9189.JPG (191.6 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9193.JPG (217.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 25-02-2014
Mad Member

Looking good Just wondering: Can you explain why you would convert the car to belt drive, and why would you go for an outrunner motor? Just because it has something cool about it, or are you looking to get certain performance benefits from it?

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy
Old 25-02-2014

Nice work Mr. Ed.
You have yet to maximise the potential of the motor of course, to do that you need to lose the transmission completely and replace your diff. Then the kv will be working in your favour and speed will be a lot better. Obviously that represents a lot more work - if I were you I would switch out the motor for a higher kv one and see what it goes like. Not as if the motors are super expensive.
Old 25-02-2014

The reasons to go out-runner are: to get rid of part of the mechanical friction, and typicall wear parts. Oh, and because I like tinkering and buiding original creations
The reasons to not ditch the entire transmission are: to keep the diff action in a simple way and keep some of the tuning options for gear ratios.
Also the TC tires are a quite a bit larger and the space in the bulkhead is smaller than the space in a pan-car pod. And if I can find a wider pulley, I can maybe restore the 4WD functionality.

But to be honest, this car was not what I bought the motor for, so probably it will go in other trials through the coming time.
Today I was thinking of installing the moter into a rim and suspending it on a single arm to create some sort of motorbike.
Old 25-02-2014

1250kv with a diff ratio of 2.5:1 was good in an rc18 with tc tyres on, motor was modified to be part of the centre shaft. for a tourer you could go a bit higher, try 1500kv or something, outrunners do like to be geared hard. one word of caution, start up current is quite high so make sure your speed control and batteries can handle it. the rc18 used close on 2ah in 5 mins with centre shaft mounted outrunner, under 1300 with a brushed motor, similar top speed, acceleration not comparable though. the 1250kv outrunner (28mm by 20mm) is now in the back axle of a 15" long drag rail, direct drive to 1/12 scale foams, peak current on 11.1 volts exceeds 60A if you can find enough grip to give it some throttle!
Old 26-02-2014

replacing the center shaft of a TC3-like tourer by an out-runner with drivecups and dogbones was another idea I had in my cupboard. Is there a thread about this rc18, or some pics?
Old 26-02-2014

there was a thread on here a few years ago, not sure if you would still find it. i used a one piece centre shaft front to back, basically changed the bearings inthe motor, drilled out the motor bell hole, and modified the rc18 centre shaft with a lathe to put it all together
Old 27-02-2014

and when you say acceleration was not comparable, I hope that's in a good way?